Presidential address 12/6

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
How can someone respect an administration that just Executive Orders most of what he wants into law?
[MENTION=5800]VenomousDSG[/MENTION] nailed it on the head. Follow the oath you swore when you took office, and even if what you try doesnt work, but still followed your oath, you will get respect from a lot of people.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
By that metric how do you respect any president? Relative to even very recent presidents, Obama seems to be a pussycat.

mehta-datalab-executiveorders1.png

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I like that war time/great depression spikes.

Thats how many EOs executed, but what were they used for with other presidents?

You're asking me? You can't make that argument if you don't know. This is why I can't do politics on this site. You made a very clear claim that you didn't respect him because he just issues an executive order for whatever he wants into law. Putting aside the fact that the statement is factually inaccurate, the moment I put up a chart that demonstrates he doesn't do it any more than any other recent president (and in fact does it marginally less) you change your gripe from him simply issuing executive orders to WHY he's issuing executive orders. Either it's ok to bypass the process or it's not.

You can't say well it's ok because he did it for this or that because whatever cause you might embrace, someone else might not. Statistically he has issued less executive orders. And I say that as someone that doesn't particularly think he's good president. I just believe in objectivity.

And if you're acknowledging that the numbers are correct but are asking ME why the other presidents issued so many orders doesn't that undermine your entire argument? The fact that you don't know precludes you from making that argument altogether. I mean I'm assuming you don't know what the other presidents issued so many orders for so on that basis I would expect your response to be along the lines of something like "Oh gee, I didn't know that. It merits further investigaton." Instead your statement basically insinuates that regardless of the numbers, whatever Obama is issuing executive orders for is less legitimate than what other presidents issued them for. This is what gets my knickers in a twist. You base your opinion (partially I'm sure) on a metric which is false, are presented with data that very clearly disproves that metric, change your argument to something else and then don't know the data behind the argument you're now making but seem to suggest that because other presidents weren't the god hating, muslim sympathizing, America apologizing, Obama that certainly whatever reasons they saw fit to issue an executive order were more legitimate.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I should add that for his presidency Obama is on track to issue on average 33 EO per year which would be the lowest since...

Wait for it...

Grover Fucking Cleveland. :rofl: I checked. That IS his middle name.

Here are some other names as well as the average number of executive orders they put through:

Reagan: 48
Bush Senior: 42
His kid: 36
Jimmy Carter: 80
Clinton: 42

So again, we're mad about executive orders but only when they're for things that we're not cool with, yes? Because that's how it seems.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
This is why I can't do politics on this site. You made a very clear claim that you didn't respect him because he just issues an executive order for whatever he wants into law. Putting aside the fact that the statement is factually inaccurate, the moment I put up a chart that demonstrates he doesn't do it any more than any other recent president (and in fact does it marginally less) you change your gripe from him simply issuing executive orders to WHY he's issuing executive orders. Either it's ok to bypass the process or it's not. And if you're acknowledging that the numbers are correct but are asking ME why the other presidents issued so many orders doesn't that undermine your argument? The fact that you don't know precludes you from making that argument altogether.

You can't say well it's ok because he did it for this or that because whatever cause you might embrace, someone else might not. Statistically he has issued less executive orders. And I say that as someone that doesn't particularly think he's good president. I just believe in objectivity.

Dude, people have said their peace about this administration in one thread or another. I know it is impossible to keep up with everyone's reasoning (being literal, not trying to be an ass), and it gets old explaining everything in every new thread.

Obama has not fixed unemployment. People have fallen out of it. He has not fixed the debt. He did not fix healthcare. In his words, his greatest failure is "gun control". Seriously? Lets not forget all the backtalk. Granted, lots of political figures and presidents have done it, but this guy was supposed to be the new "guy". He was the Change we needed.

You (Obama) are not going to be respected by everyone. That is a given. Not one person can have an entire country like him if you are battling in a political arena. Dont get upset if someone doesnt like what you do. Life gets easier that way.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I should add that for his presidency Obama is on track to issue on average 33 EO per year which would be the lowest since...

Wait for it...

Grover Fucking Cleveland. :rofl: I checked. That IS his middle name.

Here are some other names as well as the average number of executive orders they put through:

Reagan: 48
Bush Senior: 42
His kid: 36
Jimmy Carter: 80
Clinton: 42

So again, we're mad about executive orders but only when they're for things that we're not cool with, yes? Because that's how it seems.

Is that a bad thing? Are we the people not permitted to disagree with the "50% president?" (Your words)

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Blind loyalty isn't loyalty, that's stupidity. Just because he's the president of my nation (which I love) doesn't make me loyal to him or obligate me to support him. The presidency and this country are MUCH bigger than just one man. That's one of the beauties of America too, it gives me the right to think and act like that. When we have a president that acts more presidential and follows within the laws and rules of the traditional American way and constitution, i will change my tune.

If I worked for the government or was in the armed services, that would be a different story. I'd be obligated to keep my mouth shut, support him, and follow his orders.

Support the postion not the man I believe is what [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] is after. Im in the military and some things i do agree with some I dont. However i dont have to just nod and say to everything........... After all Im not in the North Korean military..........

Just sayin.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Did he win any different than Bush? Any different than Clinton? It's not as if they made some special change to the voting system to accommodate Obama so if you're going to bitch about how he got into office be sure to bitch just as much when it's your guy.

Secondly, you all want to talk about being Americans. You know what Americans do? They support their leader. They support their president. They might not agree with their president and they might think he's a poor leader but historically Americans have always held the office in high regard.

Obama might not be a great leader. He might be a pacifist. He might not be the guy 50% of the country wanted in office but he's our president. He's the president of the country you all claim to love. He is your president, even if he's not your president.

I used to think this way until all the anti bush people kept clamoring, "not my president!"

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I have respect for the office, but not the current Administration. Obama has done nothing but campaign while he was in office to control power for his party. He is a very divisive leader and I feel that he has set the country farther apart. From race to political rivalries, he’s moved the goals farther apart where nothing gets done because he cannot bring two parties together to find common ground. He’s THE worst President in my lifetime.

As for Executive Orders, the total number doesn’t tell the whole story. Obama has tried to circumvent Congress regarding major policy shifts, for example immigration. Frankly, he’s used executive orders to try to get around our system of “checks and balances” like no other President. As I mentioned, Obama cannot find consensus or gain small wins with Congress, that’s why he uses this tactic.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I love Rand Paul!

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky belittled Mr. Obama for proposing laws limiting the sale of assault weapons and barring suspected terrorists and other people on no-fly lists from buying gun.

“Let me be clear: disarming more law-abiding citizens will not stop mass murderers and terrorists,” Mr. Paul said. “We should be advocating for more concealed carry ability for law-abiding Americans and an end to unconstitutional gun-free zones.” He also called for greater border security and a hold on immigration, visas, and refugees from “countries with active terror networks.”

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
I love Rand Paul!

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky belittled Mr. Obama for proposing laws limiting the sale of assault weapons and barring suspected terrorists and other people on no-fly lists from buying gun.

“Let me be clear: disarming more law-abiding citizens will not stop mass murderers and terrorists,” Mr. Paul said. “We should be advocating for more concealed carry ability for law-abiding Americans and an end to unconstitutional gun-free zones.” He also called for greater border security and a hold on immigration, visas, and refugees from “countries with active terror networks.”

He must have watched this too.

http://youtu.be/-3zZr_Qbuaw

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
I have respect for the office, but not the current Administration. Obama has done nothing but campaign while he was in office to control power for his party. He is a very divisive leader and I feel that he has set the country farther apart. From race to political rivalries, he’s moved the goals farther apart where nothing gets done because he cannot bring two parties together to find common ground. He’s THE worst President in my lifetime.

As for Executive Orders, the total number doesn’t tell the whole story. Obama has tried to circumvent Congress regarding major policy shifts, for example immigration. Frankly, he’s used executive orders to try to get around our system of “checks and balances” like no other President. As I mentioned, Obama cannot find consensus or gain small wins with Congress, that’s why he uses this tactic.

I to disagree strongly with using Executive Order to get around Congress. However, what did Congress think was going to happen when they stonewall him on absolutely everything? I'm not saying they should give into everything he wants. But I think our government as whole needs to get back into the habit of comprising and making deals. If everyone gets into this "my way or nothing" attitude nothing is ever going to get done in this country.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I to disagree strongly with using Executive Order to get around Congress. However, what did Congress think was going to happen when they stonewall him on absolutely everything? I'm not saying they should give into everything he wants. But I think our government as whole needs to get back into the habit of comprising and making deals. If everyone gets into this "my way or nothing" attitude nothing is ever going to get done in this country.

You don't go around Congress (Checks and Balances) for major policy changes. Congress is the "The People's Branch" for a reason. The people voted in Republicans to keep Obama in check after he rammed through the Healthcare reform law.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info