• Total voters

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Oh, and In n Out has better burgers. So does Five Guys.

giphy.gif

5 guys does have some great burgers. Ive only had a burger at portillos a handful of times, only cause to me, its sacrilegious to not get a beef or hot dog.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Oh, and In n Out has better burgers. So does Five Guys.

giphy.gif

I love portillos but their burgers are terrible. For that matter, and this might sound blasphemes, I think their beef is pretty mediocre as well. I'd take Buena Beef over Portillos any day of the week. Cheese fries and hot dogs are where it's at for Portillos.

Also, In N Out is the best fast food burger. Anyone that disagrees is stupid and has a stupid face.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Buena beef is good, but its not Portillos. Ive had some amazing beef sandwiches at other places, but they are few and far between and usually not consistent.

I had a Cheef from Rosatis at my brother in laws place one time. AMAZING!! Moz cheese, on a garlic bread bun italian beef. D LICIOUS!! Never had a Cheef like that again. Even from the same Rosatis. Ive had a few come close, but never to that level of NOMNOM.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yeah I'd go to Buona for a beef before I'd go to Portillo's. And there are other places I'd go for burgers. Usually if I go to Portillo's, it's for dogs, and only if it doesn't look like I'll be in line for a month. I don't have anything against Portillo's, I just think part of the underwhelming aspect of it was due to how much it got hyped up when I first moved to the area, before I even set foot in one.

Chipotle is ok, it's not authentic by any means, but it's good IMO. I used to frequent some authentic places when I lived in SD, but the quality was hit or miss and my asshole exploded every time. It was always worth it but damn did my shitter take a beating.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Portillo's beef is sad. I brought home my favorite the other day (Pop's on the southside). My Daughter had Portillos. No comparison....

That is the shittiest looking beef from Portillos. Mine never look like that. They arent like Pops, but they never look like that.

Ive had better tasting beef from other places, but it is usually paired with shitty bread. Portillos has the best overall rounded and consistent IMO.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Portillos has good cheese. Burgers are real meat and juicy.

I think 5 Guys uses a mix of 80/20 and ground something better. They smash the burgers between wax paper to get their signature shape.

Both are good.

+1 on the Portillo's beef being best. I drive to Tampa occasionally and always stop at Brandon Portillos.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Portillos has good cheese. Burgers are real meat and juicy.

I think 5 Guys uses a mix of 80/20 and ground something better. They smash the burgers between wax paper to get their signature shape.

Both are good.

+1 on the Portillo's beef being best. I drive to Tampa occasionally and always stop at Brandon Portillos.

Smash burger has shit fries though. Need smash burgers with 5 guys fries.

SmashGuys.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Portillo's beef is sad. I brought home my favorite the other day (Pop's on the southside). My Daughter had Portillos. No comparison....

I think this is sometimes location specific. I've found that the Portillos by me in Elgin is very cheap on their portions.

The one in St. Charles on North Ave. I've never had this issue with.

With that said, it was late last night, I had avoided Ports for awhile (as I just got wore out on them), and hit up the Elgin one for a double cheeseburger and it just flat out hit the spot.

Thread Info