In a move that surprises no one, the Chevy SS is dead after 2017

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
Insurance for my G8 was very high with Farmers. Switching to State Farm dropped it quite a bit. I love driving my G8. I've owned a bunch of cars over the years and never liked one more than this car. It's also ironically the one I've owned the longest. I know I'll have to get an SS sooner or later...looks like 2017 will be the year.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I liked these cars and was glad to see them add some content like a manual trans and the magnaride after it first came out. Body styling seemed so plain - maybe some killer wheels, tint and the right stance would make all the difference. Agree completely that no one outside of the enthusiasts knew what this car was.

I was always hoping they would make a balls-out extreme version of the car with carbon ceramic brakes and the LT4 in it. If they had done this as a sort of farewell for the car I would have probably bought one.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Absolutely shocks me that Ford can sell a seemingly Fck ton of SHOs at the same price point and GM can't sell these for shit. So many little things they could have done differently, like changing the name (hello, Chevelle anyone?) and doing just a tiny bit of marketing, I think would have gone a long way.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Absolutely shocks me that Ford can sell a seemingly Fck ton of SHOs at the same price point and GM can't sell these for shit. So many little things they could have done differently, like changing the name (hello, Chevelle anyone?) and doing just a tiny bit of marketing, I think would have gone a long way.

I don't think SHO's sold well, there were always huge incentives and you could still find year-old inventory on many dealer lots.

they should have named it the chevelle, I agree with Mike K the marketing for this car was an embarrassment

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I don't understand why people are saying the SS was a failure and had bad marketing. The SS was niche car. It was never built to sell like a charger or taurus. It had no base/fleet model. It was brought on line as a low production performance can and did as well as GM expected. Everyone knew it wouldn't last past 2017 since Holden is closing down all Aussie production.

I was at lunch on Saturday and was surprised to see not 1 but 2 SS' cruise through the lot of a Home Depot.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
agree to disagree, the impala has been a boring FWD sedan driven by aunts and grandma's for years. the chevelle is an old muscle car that enthusiasts would love to see brought back.

too late now

chevelle's had two doors, and were muscle cars.

impala's had 2 or 4 and were big heavy comfy cruisers with power.

44162_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

10699201498517680740.jpg

4981401-1966-chevrolet-impala-ss-std.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Wasn't it also because there was was leftover room in the Holden contract that they needed to use up? Or is that just a rumor?

One of my colleagues said that the original manufacturing agreement with Holden for export was a limited number of units. And also there was a report that mid-production they actually had to boost production to meet demand in the US.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
It should have been a Malibu IMO but GM has spent so much time shitting on that nameplate that there's no coming back from it.

Not a fan of resurrecting the Chevelle nameplate for a sedan but some people don't care about that obviously.

Impala was always a really large car and even though there are parallels drawn with the '94-'96 Impala SS, I still don't think it really fits the SS. The SS is too small and nimble to carry that nameplate I think.

But in the end, they just said fuck it and went with no name at all.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yeah it's that tall because it comes with two frickin feet of wheel gap all around.

Once you put it in the garage though, it doesn't seem as big as it looks. And if you sit in an SS and an Impala back to back, there's a giant difference.

I'd expect an Impala to be on par with the Charger, you know, 4500 lbs, an extra 4" of legroom in the back, have to rearrange your garage to fit it, etc...

Not saying the SS could wear a Lotus badge or anything, just saying it's not barge-y enough, which isn't a word but whatever.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah it's that tall because it comes with two frickin feet of wheel gap all around.

Once you put it in the garage though, it doesn't seem as big as it looks. And if you sit in an SS and an Impala back to back, there's a giant difference.

I'd expect an Impala to be on par with the Charger, you know, 4500 lbs, an extra 4" of legroom in the back, have to rearrange your garage to fit it, etc...

Not saying the SS could wear a Lotus badge or anything, just saying it's not barge-y enough, which isn't a word but whatever.

but like, aside from weight the chevy ss is super similar in size to the charger and impala

ss length 196
charger length 198
impala length 201

ss width 75
charger width 75
impala width 73

ss weight 4,000 lbs
charger weight 4400 lbs.
impala weight 3800lbs (wtf :rofl:)

ss rear leg room 42.3"
charger rear leg room 40.1"
impala rear leg room 39.8"

somehow the longest car weighs the least and has the least rear leg room :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info