Illinois trailer inspection's for TC plates & higher

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

We have this exact thread on every forum I've been on, every state make it so confusing, nobody ever knows exactly what they need??
My old truck weighs 7700 lbs exactly because that's what I use to bring in scrap, no clue what the newer ones weigh & I'm guessing the trailer is 10,000-12,000 with all the crap I bring to the track.

The cops never know exactly what the laws are, how the hell do they expect us to??

Like when I got 7 tickets up in Michigan.
When I got to court the Judge ripped the trooper a new asshole and threw them all out for harassing me!!!!
Even if 2 were correct, he was pissed off he wrote 7 tickets and shut down my multi-million dollar project the 1st day.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i mean, from your post above where you say if your truck is above 8k (which i'd think a DEEEEZUL like that is?) and your load is above 10k, you'd need a cdl?

which that boat is definitely above 10k :rofl:

In both instances, technically yes. But the whole gray area of "it's for recreation" comes into play. A recreational skid steer is much harder to squeeze past the checkpoint than a recreational boat lol.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
From my understanding from the research I've done, you can have whatever vehicle (plated to the vehicles specs), and drive any trailer under 10k lbs with a normal license. When you reach over 10k lbs, you will then need a CDL A (w/combination).

Say you have a D plated truck with less than a 10k lb trailer. A normal license would be fine. Say you have a D plated truck with a trailer rated over 10k lbs. You'd then need a CDL A license.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
Yep. That's exactly it.

oh super.

Well not exactly, they can put "not for hire" all over, but it usually only takes a couple minutes of inspecting what cargo they have, shipping papers/bill of lading to figure out if they are getting paid or not. The not for hire is just like the stone haulers that have a sign on the back "stay back, not responsible for damage to vehicles". You can write whatever the fek you want on your truck, doesn't exempt you from the rules. The stone haulers really make me chuckle, you think painting that on the rear of the trailer doesn't make you liable if your load spills onto the highway and takes someone's window out? Thats like me walking around with a sign "not responsible if I shoot the wrong person" on my uniform shirt.

The cops never know exactly what the laws are, how the hell do they expect us to??

Like when I got 7 tickets up in Michigan.
When I got to court the Judge ripped the trooper a new asshole and threw them all out for harassing me!!!!
Even if 2 were correct, he was pissed off he wrote 7 tickets and shut down my multi-million dollar project the 1st day.

most of us do know what the laws are, its just that many departments that do not have a lot of truck traffic, to get exposure to what laws exist. Its like me knowing every firearm law, we have a specific unit that deals with firearm related crimes and possession. Just like trucks, we have dedicated units that only deal with trucks. Even when the OP posted the original question, I had to hit up one of the truck guys to make sure I had the right answer.

But I agree with you, the laws shouldn't vary like they do on such a broad spectrum from state to state. Just like what this thread is about, the rules of the road say two inspections when its only annual. Illinois does a fucking piss poor job of educating people on new laws and making the info readily available that you dont need an attorney to understand what it means. Then again, does Illinois do anything right?

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

No CDL, not required for authorized public utility worker in a small bucket truck
No medical card, not required for public utility worker in a small bucket truck
No tailgate, not required for bucket truck
Unsecured load, truck was empty
No bucket truck operators permit, no one ever heard of it
No city & state on door, not sure if that was 100% required
No DOT number on door, was required since my corporation was registered out of state

We also were never required to weigh or go through pop up safety inspections,
but this guy wrote up anything he could think of for some reason??

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012

No CDL, not required for authorized public utility worker in a small bucket truck
No medical card, not required for public utility worker in a small bucket truck
No tailgate, not required for bucket truck
Unsecured load, truck was empty
No bucket truck operators permit, no one ever heard of it
No city & state on door, not sure if that was 100% required
No DOT number on door, was required since my corporation was registered out of state

We also were never required to weigh or go through pop up safety inspections,
but this guy wrote up anything he could think of for some reason??

ya, thats fucked up. Everyone knows that under the CVSA you dont need to write any tickets, the fed's come at you 100 times worse than the court does. And utility companies traveling from state to state to respond to an emergency are exempt from all federal regs. Not sure if that was your condition or not.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
2x4oP77.jpg

bad day for this cat im thinkin'

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

That's what my crew chief looked like when he used to tow with an S-10 V8 swap.
The front wheels were barely on the ground, and you had to let him go 1st on the way home or the frigging headlights gave you a headache!!!
Idiots like that deserve the book thrown at them, it's dangerous.

Weight bars are only ~$200 IIRC and it makes it much safer and more stable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info