Illinois trailer inspection's for TC plates & higher

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
Called the CVEO M/Sgt, need pretty much what I posted and if you can take a picture of the tongue of the trailer, there shoud be a sticker on there. He said that if you meet the criteria in 625 ilcs 5/13-111, then the sticker is valid for one year from the date of inspection. GVWR of the truck then GVWR of the trailer. What you are plated for is completely irrelevant when it comes to meeting the criteria of an inspection. Meaning you could be plated for 80,000 pounds, the plate only covers the actual weight in regards to registration even though the trailer is only 8,000 lbs. So you never go off what the registration is when it comes to vehicle weight. If that makes sense.

I have a question. I have a friend who is a u haul manager and continually rents out trucks that are 26ft 30k gvwr trucks. I asked him "do any of the people renting provide a cdl or do you check for a CDL as part of your rental agreeemnt procedure?"

He proceeds to tell me that a cdl isn't required causes its a "rental vehicle". I find this very hard to believe as i am a CDL holder myself and at 26ft you are required by law to posses one.

Who's right????

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yes, that tends to be bad if you get pulled over by a CVEO.

:beer:

Yep, they all do. But for us, not sure how many people know this, but we have whats called "weigh in motion". Its basically scales in the ground and they watch a monitor as a truck passes over it. Then they physically weight it.

exactly, people towing boats and landscapers are not the ones they look for.

Yaj Yak, to be honest I really dont know, we have a specialized division of guys (the dudes in the suv's) that only do truck enforcement. Anytime we have a question we go right to them. Its just like if you ask a truck guy a canine question, they call me. With that said, I will find out for you. Ill text one of my guys now. Just for clarification, this is just a flat bed trailer you would tow a car on? Is this for business or for personal? (ie are you getting paid is the magic question). And can you tell me if the combined GVWR with the truck and the trailer would exceed 10,000 lbs.

must be an "up here" thing then because I know of plenty of boaters up 'round this way that get hassled.

Called the CVEO M/Sgt, need pretty much what I posted and if you can take a picture of the tongue of the trailer, there shoud be a sticker on there. He said that if you meet the criteria in 625 ilcs 5/13-111, then the sticker is valid for one year from the date of inspection. GVWR of the truck then GVWR of the trailer. What you are plated for is completely irrelevant when it comes to meeting the criteria of an inspection. Meaning you could be plated for 80,000 pounds, the plate only covers the actual weight in regards to registration even though the trailer is only 8,000 lbs. So you never go off what the registration is when it comes to vehicle weight. If that makes sense.

I will text you a pic when I get around my trailer.

It's a boat trailer.

My truck I weighed one night and a DOT scale in Richmond and it was this:

Front axle:
ZonYR3Bm.jpg

Rear axle:
q24wkgGm.jpg

So... it's a sneeze away from 8k lbs.
My truck has a wisconsin <8k lbs plate.

The GVWR sticker on my truck says 11,000 lbs.

My boat trailer has an Illinois TC plate, my boat is reported to be around 5500lbs dry weight.

That wouldn't account for fuel/batteries/shit inside the boat.

Trailer i'd guess is around 1500-2000 lbs.

so my boat/trailer tow weight may be pretty close to 8k if not over.

This is all for personal use, just me pulling my own boat trailer.

Your truck probably weights somewhere around 7,100#'s dry. Only another 900#'s of occupants, gear, tongue weight on the truck axles and you'll be over your weight class on those B plates and that's an expensive ticket. That's one thing the truck enforcement guys seem to like to do is pick on the 2500/3500 trucks that are running B's.

I run B plates on all of my 2500 plow trucks and D/F plates on my 3500 RAM and F-550 respectively, but, they're zero option gasoline single cabs and I really don't tow much with them. They probably weigh around 5,800 so I've got a decent buffer before 8,000. Only one I'd be concerned with is my one truck with a 100 gallon transfer tank. Figure another 700#'s of fuel. I guess if I were to have a full tank of fuel, plow on the front towing a skid steer I'd be over but that's like a "fuck we're screwed" scenario to have all of that happening at once lol.

maybe someone else can field this, or maybe you know, but if you have to go get weighed, and they weigh each axle, do they weigh the truck with a trailer hooked up or no? or do they disconnect the trailer to take weight off the truck to get accurate truck weight.

I disagree, the ones they are looking for are the landscapers with a bobcat held down with string /exaggeration. We continually have crashes with landscapers and Bobcats coming loose and hitting cars. When the public and attorneys ask what we are doing about it, obviously we have to act. Kinda part of our job to react to what the public voices concerns about

like I said above, it may be more common "up 'round here"

I know of a few boat guys who have been hassled near the chain.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I was told if it's corporate owned, no matter weight it has to be inspected??
That's why my big ass racecar trailer is owned by me and has RV plates and all the trucks & small trailer are owned by my corporation.
I save hundreds a year on plates & inspections and the insurance is much much cheaper on that one trailer.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
ISP and county regularly set up truck enforcement zones on main highways I travel daily (Rt. 12 and Lake Cook road)

Gotcha, but county cant enforce the federal regs, but im sure you knew that.

I have a question. I have a friend who is a u haul manager and continually rents out trucks that are 26ft 30k gvwr trucks. I asked him "do any of the people renting provide a cdl or do you check for a CDL as part of your rental agreeemnt procedure?"

He proceeds to tell me that a cdl isn't required causes its a "rental vehicle". I find this very hard to believe as i am a CDL holder myself and at 26ft you are required by law to posses one.

Who's right????

You are not going to believe it, but hes right. If the uhaul is rented by people who are simply moving items they are exempt.

The GVWR sticker on my truck says 11,000 lbs.

My boat trailer has an Illinois TC plate, my boat is reported to be around 5500lbs dry weight.

That wouldn't account for fuel/batteries/shit inside the boat.

Trailer i'd guess is around 1500-2000 lbs.

so my boat/trailer tow weight may be pretty close to 8k if not over.

This is all for personal use, just me pulling my own boat trailer.

So you are GTG weight wise for the purpose of registration covering the weight. My guy says once a year and it should say valid for 12 months from the time of inspection. Hope that helps

I was told if it's corporate owned, no matter weight it has to be inspected??
That's why my big ass racecar trailer is owned by me and has RV plates and all the trucks & small trailer are owned by my corporation.
I save hundreds a year on plates & inspections and the insurance is much much cheaper on that one trailer.
So heres where the trick comes into play, if the truck exceeds 8k and whatever is being pulled exceeds a combined GVWR of 10k and you are being payed to provide some type of service ie commerical enterprise then you are subject to the federal regs. So since your race car would be considered for pleasure or recreation, you dodge the bullet of federal regs.

Now just turn that trailer into a Nascar trailer and boom, they are in the box because they are getting paid. Now they need a DOT number, log books, inspections and abide by about 1000 federal rules.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So you are GTG weight wise for the purpose of registration covering the weight. My guy says once a year and it should say valid for 12 months from the time of inspection. Hope that helps

So heres where the trick comes into play, if the truck exceeds 8k and whatever is being pulled exceeds a combined GVWR of 10k and you are being payed to provide some type of service ie commerical enterprise then you are subject to the federal regs. So since your race car would be considered for pleasure or recreation, you dodge the bullet of federal regs.

Now just turn that trailer into a Nascar trailer and boom, they are in the box because they are getting paid. Now they need a DOT number, log books, inspections and abide by about 1000 federal rules.

sweetness. definitely helps. thank you very much.

and also, for the other situation that was presented here, is this why so many people have "NOT FOR HIRE" posted on their doors, so they don't get messed with in that regard?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Who's right????

You are not going to believe it, but hes right. If the uhaul is rented by people who are simply moving items they are exempt.

There was another thread (maybe it was this one?) I was going to ask that question.

That is licking lead paint fucking retarded with some of these stupid fucking people clearly having no idea how to drive a 26ft box truck from Ryder or Uhaul.

That's insane.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
There was another thread (maybe it was this one?) I was going to ask that question.

That is licking lead paint fucking retarded with some of these stupid fucking people clearly having no idea how to drive a 26ft box truck from Ryder or Uhaul.

That's insane.

I used a 26 foot box truck for my last move, and every part of the experience screamed "Shouldn't I be trained on this?"

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The truck enforcement guys in the SUV’s do. Remember, overweight trucks are where the money is, and I mean real trucks, not pick up trucks. I’ve never seen a cop drag a pick up truck towing a boat to a scale.

Follow the money.

A license plate is a tax stamp. You only pay tax on the weight you’re actually carrying. The law quoted above said any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of “X”, not a gross vehicle weight rating. If your tow vehicle never exceeds 8000 pounds even with the tongue weight of whatever trailer you’re pulling, stick with that B plate. Likewise, if your loaded trailer never exceeds 8000 pounds, go with a TC plate. That’s why they set up scales when they enforce this stuff. They don’t open the door, look at the sticker then look at the plate and ticket you. They weigh you and ticket you on the untaxed/not covered by your plate class weight.

Weight ratings express the mechanical limits of the components. Every semi I drove had a 20,000# axle on the front, but the law said no more than 12,000#’s could be on the steer axle and 34,000# on tandems actually going down the road.

Now, if the law says a truck or trailer with a certain plate has to be inspected, then it has to be inspected no matter how little you are hauling, the theory being that if it’s plated that high, it’s going to be hauling that weight. Why would you pay extra tax if you aren’t hauling that much weight?

When I worked at a place in Itasca (years back), close to the EoE, we had a truck scale and the Itasca PD would constantly be using it to weigh out trucks (semi's) they had pulled over randomly on the EoE under the suspicion of being overweight. It was so much, taking time from us weighing our own trucks coming in/out, that we started billing the IPD.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

That's insane.

Just as insane as the 80 year olds driving 45’ class A air brake motor homes that are RV plated without so much as a DOT card.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I used a 26 foot box truck for my last move, and every part of the experience screamed "Shouldn't I be trained on this?"

That's insane.

Isn't the issue whether or not it has air brakes?

If it has air brakes, a CDL class of license is needed.

If it has regular hydraulic brakes, nothing other than a regular drivers license.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Illinois trailer inspection's for TC plates &amp; higher

Sorry if this was answered but didn’t want to go through every response.... what is the law for Wisconsin plates driving into Illinois? So a truck with wisconsin plates towing boat trailer with Wisconsin plates..... or any other state for that matter

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The inspections are yearly, I've never seen twice a year. Most any place that does heavy truck repair can do the inspections. Also be wary at some point the combined GVW will cause you to have a cdl. Too lazy to look up the numbers.

Combined over 26,000 and if your truck is over 8k any trailered load over 10k will need it.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
Just as insane as the 80 year olds driving 45’ class A air brake motor homes that are RV plated without so much as a DOT card.
that it is my man!
Sorry if this was answered but didn’t want to go through every response.... what is the law for Wisconsin plates driving into Illinois? So a truck with wisconsin plates towing boat trailer with Wisconsin plates..... or any other state for that matter

so thats where the federal reg's fall into place, but again, we are the only ones in the state that can enforce them. Your question is just like someone from Indiana who doesn't have a front plate, driving in Illinois. We cant enforce our equipment vehicle code on violations that are legal in their state. So Wisconsin's requirements on what needs a specific plate to cover the GVWR is different from ours. But once the truck exceeds 8k and the combined weight exceeds 10,001k AND they are involved in interstate commerce (they are getting paid to perform a service) they fall under federal reg's. Which is exactly why federal reg's are uniform across the U.S, we dont want someone with defective brake linings, over on hours ok to drive in one state and not the other.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Exactly, absolutely insane.
I say the same thing all the time because I know a bunch of guys with RV's that have no business driving something that big & heavy!!!!
Guys that can barely walk, barely see and somehow it's perfectly fine for them to drive those monsters
just because they can afford a $400,000 plus bus!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info