Illinois trailer inspection's for TC plates & higher

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I seem to recall my 18ft MacLander with tandem axles had brakes on both axles and was a TC plated trailer.

Is there a general guideline for what is a TC, TD, etc? Or is it purely a weight classification?

I think it would be a huge hassle for someone with a simple flatbed car hauler to have to go get it inspected 2x a year.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
5. Every motor vehicle, trailer, pole trailer or
semitrailer, sold in this State or operated upon the
highways shall be equipped with service brakes upon all
wheels of every such vehicle
, except any motor-driven
cycle, and except that any trailer, pole trailer or
semitrailer 3,000 pounds gross weight or less need not be
equipped with brakes, and except that any trailer or
semitrailer with gross weight over 3,000 pounds but under
5,001 pounds need be equipped with brakes on only one
wheel on each side of the vehicl
e. Any motor vehicle and
truck tractor having 3 or more axles and manufactured
prior to July 25, 1980 need not have brakes on the front
wheels, except when such vehicles are equipped with at
least 2 steerable axles, the wheels of one such axle need
not be equipped with brakes. However, a vehicle that is
more than 30 years of age and which is driven on the
highways only in going to and returning from an antique
auto show or for servicing or for a demonstration need be
equipped with 2 wheel brakes only.

nope that was right.

:rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I seem to recall my 18ft MacLander with tandem axles had brakes on both axles and was a TC plated trailer.

Is there a general guideline for what is a TC, TD, etc? Or is it purely a weight classification?

I think it would be a huge hassle for someone with a simple flatbed car hauler to have to go get it inspected 2x a year.

simple flatbed car haulers are almost always TD plates at minimum from what ive seen/used and yeah, have to be inspected because of it twice a year.

:rofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I could've sworn mine was a TC plate, so I went and looked for a pic;

vYctkdz.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What the Law Does Not Say
Notice the law does not say “gross vehicle weight rating” (GVWR) or registered weight. What the trailer manufacturer rates as the maximum loaded weight of the vehicle, or what the Secretary of State assigns as the maximum registered weight, means jack squat when it comes to brake requirements. All that matters is how much the vehicle, with load, weighs on the scale.

The law does not give police officers the authority to stop vehicles for the purpose of inspecting brakes (except for Illinois State Police troopers). All other police officers must first lawfully stop the vehicle. The law also does not give the police officer the authority to lawfully stop a vehicle and then begin a fishing expedition, or unconstitutional search, for brake violations. This is fruit of the poisonous tree.

If a police officer wishes to enforce the laws governing brakes in the Illinois Vehicle Code, he must follow an appropriate investigative path:
• He can ask the driver if he would be willing to independently engage the trailer brakes.
• He can ask the driver to open the battery compartment on the trailer to see if there is a battery.
• He can ask the driver if he can weigh the trailer to see if it is even heavy enough to meet certain brake requirements.

A driver can at any time tell the officer “no” to the questions above and the investigation stops. An officer cannot use “reason to believe” a trailer’s weight is exceeding braking requirements. That burden of proof is reserved for overweight violations only.

Just because a police officer believes a trailer weighs in excess of 3,000 pounds does not mean he can order it to the scale. Similarly, just because an officer believes a vehicle weighs in excess of 5,000 pounds does he have the right to declare the trailer must have an emergency breakaway system. The driver of a truck is entitled to the same civil liberties as the driver of a car, and police officers do not make a practice of stopping cars to check brakes.

Safety is paramount, but a mere suspicion of safety violations does not justify poor enforcement methodologies.

Electrically Surging Brakes - ITEA

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info