Home A/C 2017

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Lately we've had some mid 90 degree days here in CO, and next couple of weeks high 90s for awhile. Obviously no humidity but our AC takes FOREVER when it's hot. We have a tri-level 2,400 sq ft townhome so turning off and on the AC doesn't work well here.

Like others it can take many hours just to drop the house from 78 down to 74. Our HVAC guy actually told us the lack of humidity here is hard on AC units and they function better and cool better in higher humidity. I have no idea if that's true but being a tri-level house with no shade kills us in the afternoons. AC unit is only 2 years old.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Our HVAC guy actually told us the lack of humidity here is hard on AC units and they function better and cool better in higher humidity. I have no idea if that's true but being a tri-level house with no shade kills us in the afternoons. AC unit is only 2 years old.

Also true.

Majority of the energy removed from the air is from the latent heat of condensation, or the energy removed in the process of condensing a gas to a liquid. Think of the opposite state change (liquid to gas) a pot of water gets hot very quickly but stalls out as it approaches boiling point. It takes a massive amount more energy to vaporize that water than it does to change the sensible heat(temperature)

When you have so little moisture content in the air it's very difficult to drop the temperature when you can only get your evaporator to 37-45* before it starts to freeze.

This is also why it takes a long time to bring a house down in temperature on first time operating cooling. All the moisture needs to be removed from the air before the sensible temperature begins to drop further

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Thanks for the info. This all makes sense. What's killing me is the fucking water bill. Had sod installed in April, that month's water bill was $315!

When I had my yard resodded last year the village actually called me and asked if I had toilets with bad valves or something that were running all the time because of the drastic change in bill...

Water bill sucked but the lawn looked great. :bowrofl:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
BTW, I did some research on AC units because I felt like it took awhile for mine to cool this house down and what I found was this.

-Your AC unit is made specifically for the square footage of your house.

-Your AC unit is made specifically for the environment in which you live, this is complete bull shit.

In other words, AC units installed in Chicagoland are made to work well on an average chicago summer day, AKA, low 80s. When the temps are humid and in the high 90s, your AC will have a very hard time keeping up, and that's just by some stupid design.

I would assume at 3800 square feet you have 2 units. One for up and downstairs. (If you don't I cannot even imagine the size of that thing outside or the price of it)

You are a smart person so I'm sure you already know that's a monster house to cool and will take longer to cool down vs a 1500 square foot home.

I would say high 80s is normal for our summer couples with some weeks in the 90s. I don't find that my unit was struggling. I mean it would run a lot longer on those 93...94 days lately. But the temp never went up.

Seeing as your home is more high end did you look into seeing if you have a 2 stage ac system? Comes on low and ramps up as needed?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
wat

ANJqige.png

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Lately we've had some mid 90 degree days here in CO, and next couple of weeks high 90s for awhile. Obviously no humidity but our AC takes FOREVER when it's hot. We have a tri-level 2,400 sq ft townhome so turning off and on the AC doesn't work well here.

Like others it can take many hours just to drop the house from 78 down to 74. Our HVAC guy actually told us the lack of humidity here is hard on AC units and they function better and cool better in higher humidity. I have no idea if that's true but being a tri-level house with no shade kills us in the afternoons. AC unit is only 2 years old.
Pretty much the same at our house with similar specs. I only let it get to 76 when we're not home and 72 when we're home.

At least it generally gets much cooler out once the sun starts to go down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info