Home A/C 2017

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Our AC took a dump last week. Ordered power cap (old 50s cap finally died). Turned out fan motor died with it. Replacement is comming in today....I hope I'll get it to work and not spend a fortune on new unit. Great weather to be without AC I tell ya ;)

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
:fu:

205d9a606e1ce152cf5cefa147dcde02.jpg

bcac97f0e677e4e66c3619c896bd984f.jpg

fb258f0ae44591c278257fddaf6045b0.jpg

:fu:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
BTW, I did some research on AC units because I felt like it took awhile for mine to cool this house down and what I found was this.
-Your AC unit is made specifically for the square footage of your house.
-Your AC unit is made specifically for the environment in which you live, this is complete bull shit.

In other words, AC units installed in Chicagoland are made to work well on an average chicago summer day, AKA, low 80s. When the temps are humid and in the high 90s, your AC will have a very hard time keeping up, and that's just by some stupid design.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
BTW, I did some research on AC units because I felt like it took awhile for mine to cool this house down and what I found was this.
-Your AC unit is made specifically for the square footage of your house.
-Your AC unit is made specifically for the environment in which you live, this is complete bull shit.

In other words, AC units installed in Chicagoland are made to work well on an average chicago summer day, AKA, low 80s. When the temps are humid and in the high 90s, your AC will have a very hard time keeping up, and that's just by some stupid design.

The sizing is calculated on a form called a manual J. AC units come in all different sizes and the appropriate one is selected based on the calculations from the manual J form. The size is then chosen for what's called a design day. 95* at 50% humidity and able to drop indoor temp 20* below ambient in our area generally. How thoroughly and accurately your contractor completes the manual J has everything to do with it.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The sizing is calculated on a form called a manual J. AC units come in all different sizes and the appropriate one is selected based on the calculations from the manual J form. The size is then chosen for what's called a design day. 95* at 50% humidity and able to drop indoor temp 20* below ambient in our area generally. How thoroughly and accurately your contractor completes the manual J has everything to do with it.

Does a customer have the opportunity to say fuck that, I want an oversized unit?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Going from not running to turning it on, it's not unusual to take a while. Your air conditioner is better off running longer. It removes more humidity from the space which is more its purpose than strictly cooling.

Yup. People forget that the AC isn't just cooling the air in your house, it's going to have to cool down every item in your house as well, which will take a lot of time and energy.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Does a customer have the opportunity to say fuck that, I want an oversized unit?

You can ask but IMO if I were the contractor I wouldn't want to put my name on it if we were doing things correctly with the calculation.

It causes other problems, like not removing humidit adequately. It's going to cool down faster no doubt but you will not be more comfortable. Also less efficient and reduced life of the condensing unit from short cycling.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info