chicagoland driving events dates

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
LOL. It would be pretty bad to take the R8 out there and get wrecked by a Cayman. It's quite possible too, I'm no Mario Andretti. I can pilot a Go-Cart as well as an elderly asian woman in a beige Camry so I'm not expecting much better on a real road course.

Ehh, the point is to just go out and enjoy yourself. You probably wouldn't have fun in the R8 cause let's be honest, you would be afraid of crashing it. I love taking my other cars to the track, I have the NFG attitude. Bash one of those into a wall, owell, shit happens... Even though the WRX is a lot more expensive than those, but I'm sure you'll still be less afraid of something happening to that.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm going to add some nasa events to the list.

i'm coming back may 9th, if i can prep my car in time i plan on going to the ferrari gingerman event.

Yup. The WRX isn't cheap, but it isn't oh my god my life is ruined expensive if it hits the wall. I'll be way more aggressive in that car.

it would be fun on a race track in a camry, well, at least until it fell apart. i'm sure you will have no disappointment whatsoever running the wrx. just make sure it can handle the exercise the brake will be getting and you'll be good to go. really the reality is you learn the most in a low power rwd car. a high power awd car you are probably just mashing around the track if you haven't already built up those skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHeKOEN_0sM

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
i'm going to add some nasa events to the list.

i'm coming back may 9th, if i can prep my car in time i plan on going to the ferrari gingerman event.

it would be fun on a race track in a camry, well, at least until it fell apart. i'm sure you will have no disappointment whatsoever running the wrx. just make sure it can handle the exercise the brake will be getting and you'll be good to go. really the reality is you learn the most in a low power rwd car. a high power awd car you are probably just mashing around the track if you haven't already built up those skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHeKOEN_0sM

Yeah, I remember you saying something like that previously. Always better to learn the basics on a slower car.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
are you gonna claim that guy is not a total toolbox

No no no, if he was at any track day I've been to the track would black flag him, or maybe even kick him out for the day.

I'm just saying all the stuff the video says he's doing with the E-brake and his arm on the door, he's just doing that to brace his body. The bolstering doesn't work for guys that fat. He's clearly adjusting the TCS settings, he's not watching TV or whatever the stupid ass video says. etc. That car was way too fast for the cars driving in that group :rofl: That would be annoying AF having traffic always in the way.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
something tells me this is not a gentleman who benefits or notices the finer points of TCS settings.

well yeah he is not pulling ebrake turns but he is grabbing it. at say 2:52 he looks pretty relaxed with one hand there to me not exactly a bracing maneuver, plus are you not able to brace your body fairly well holding both hands with the wheel, certainly moreso than he appears to be doing here? i don't have #bigguybracing problems but the guy just looks like a sloppy careless mess.

the car was too fast for his skills, what group would you put him in? the only safe one would be his own.

it's pretty amazing he wasn't blag flagged there, or that he was able to go out at all like this and then continue to keep doing so, or that his friends didn't educate him more (who may have not been much better etc.) there is a thread on gt-r register with some comments from drivers from that day.

friend
other driver
friend
mclaren hit

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
At an HPDE that guy wouldn't last more than a couple laps with the groups I personally run with.

At 2:52 he's clearly taking a left turn and bracing himself against the window. I'm not standing up for his driving, but the critiques are simply done by someone with nothing better to do and perhaps a little "mad" about his driving? He's not setting the microwave, he's playing with the TCS settings, you can clearly see that.

He never "reaches" for the handbrake either, every time he does that he's bracing his body for the turn. That's why the video sucks, it's just stupid. How can you not see that? Left turn "don't forget to one hand turn" blah blah, he's bracing his arm against the window/door. Right hand turn "don't forget to check the kabob" blah blah blah, he's bracing his left hand on the seat/center counsel/ebrake handle. Never does he pull the actual handle, BRO.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
At an HPDE that guy wouldn't last more than a couple laps with the groups I personally run with.

At 2:52 he's clearly taking a left turn and bracing himself against the window. I'm not standing up for his driving, but the critiques are simply done by someone with nothing better to do and perhaps a little "mad" about his driving? He's not setting the microwave, he's playing with the TCS settings, you can clearly see that.

He never "reaches" for the handbrake either, every time he does that he's bracing his body for the turn. That's why the video sucks, it's just stupid. How can you not see that? Left turn "don't forget to one hand turn" blah blah, he's bracing his arm against the window/door. Right hand turn "don't forget to check the kabob" blah blah blah, he's bracing his left hand on the seat/center counsel/ebrake handle. Never does he pull the actual handle, BRO.

no one said he actually pulled it and the video is clearly hyperbole. i know big dudes that drive and don't brace themselves this way and lord knows the infinite number of newbies that don't have these same in-car habits or driving style. i really don't find the video particularly unfair.

nethingiwant

Sep 4, 2009
I think the comments on the video are ridiculously unfair. Obviously he is in a run group that does not require a wave on to pass. I saw nothing inherently dangerous then, given he must be HPDE 3 or higher. The "kabob" comments as tho he was microwaving while driving just plain stupid....me thinks jealousy maybe?! And to repeat said comments over and over and over and over and, ad naseum, again....really?!

NOW, show the video where he takes out another car and maybe i'll take your arm chair quarterbacking, as tho your randy probst rather than some other amateur (as am I, with only 4 HPDE events), and I'll give your editorial comments more credence....but all im seeing in your running commentary with unfounded and non existant e-brake use, microwave/tcs use, bracing/oh-my-god so dangerous one hand steering wheel use as nothing more than pure pissiness. If ur such a great driver u wud be an instructor, if not a pro driver, not a jealous joker on the sidelines.
Really one of the silliest run commentaries I have ever seen....cant belive so much time was spent to edit it, even worse I watched the whole thing. Guess thats why im perturbed enuf to even comment, when most times I wudnt give a fuck on some amateurs "assessment"

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I think the comments on the video are ridiculously unfair. Obviously he is in a run group that does not require a wave on to pass. I saw nothing inherently dangerous then, given he must be HPDE 3 or higher. The "kabob" comments as tho he was microwaving while driving just plain stupid....me thinks jealousy maybe?! And to repeat said comments over and over and over and over and, ad naseum, again....really?!

NOW, show the video where he takes out another car and maybe i'll take your arm chair quarterbacking, as tho your randy probst rather than some other amateur (as am I, with only 4 HPDE events), and I'll give your editorial comments more credence....but all im seeing in your running commentary with unfounded and non existant e-brake use, microwave/tcs use, bracing/oh-my-god so dangerous one hand steering wheel use as nothing more than pure pissiness. If ur such a great driver u wud be an instructor, if not a pro driver, not a jealous joker on the sidelines.
Really one of the silliest run commentaries I have ever seen....cant belive so much time was spent to edit it, even worse I watched the whole thing. Guess thats why im perturbed enuf to even comment, when most times I wudnt give a fuck on some amateurs "assessment"

i agree the video is also a bit childish, the repetition is to berate the point. nonetheless the guy is objectively bad. 10sec shares your critique of the video, yet still points out the guy would not last more than a few laps. i can't believe he lasted this long anywhere.

the point by rule seems sound, but i don't know how popular it is outside the US. i haven't done a track day in the UK but those i have been to some outside the US, and they didn't require them.

i've already posted links to the forum where people who were there are discussing him (his friends, the driver that was hit, other drivers there). it appears to be his first track day. his dangerous driving did result in a crash.

what's worse, the childish comments on the video, or your comments that someone who made them is 'jealous'? what are you, a teenage girl? you are defending a guy's driving, which WAS bad and which DID cause an accident, because you like his expensive car? looks like your assessment was spot on, eh?

Thread Info