YouTube Chevy just beat the Ford GT's VIR laptime - woops

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Props to the Vette.

As a guy that really doesn't care about track times, based on what I've read across three forums, the FGT did a baseline run and wasn't there for the best possible time.

The ZR1 had a full crew, dialed in suspension/alignment, etc.

I'm sure the FGT has more in it, but, for now, the Vette wins.

I will say, Ford has never really cared about ring times/lap times.

k fine. ill explain myself.

you cannot believe this to be true.

ford NEVER cared about lap times?

come on dude.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
my biggest thing is, you cant get ford GT's. if you have cahs in hand, and walked into a ford dealer and said take all my money and give me one, they cant.

walk into just about any chevy dealer and do teh same for the ZR1, and you will have salesmen drooling over you to get the chance to take your money.

yes the ford GT is a fantastic car there is no doubt about it. but the zr1 is so much better because you might actually be able to own one.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
k fine. ill explain myself.

you cannot believe this to be true.

ford NEVER cared about lap times?

come on dude.

Eh, I don't really think so.

Food for thought, I've been on Camaro5 for about 5 years now. (Don't ask) and every time a debate comes up, Chevy is all about the handling aspect.

Ford has pretty much designed all cars to handle well, but, perform at a drag strip better. Up until the GT350, just about all cars produced by Ford were straight line cars.

Last I check, Ford has not published an official time in ages. Chevy, on the other hand, has.

Please don't take what I'm saying in a combative or argumentative way. I was stating my opinion that it is well known Chevy cares more about ring times and lap times than Ford.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can take away the performance accomplishments of the ZR1...This thing is competing, lap time wise, with cars that are 4, 5, maybe 6 times as much. I don't give a shit how "dialed in or isn't" the ZR1 is, the thing is BONKERS fast.

The GT is a showcase of what Ford can technically do, but it's just slower than the ZR1. Fact. We can argue all day about subjective things like styling, looks, etc, but that's all it really is, subjective. The ZR1 is objectively faster. Drop mic /thread.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Eh, I don't really think so.

Food for thought, I've been on Camaro5 for about 5 years now. (Don't ask) and every time a debate comes up, Chevy is all about the handling aspect.

Ford has pretty much designed all cars to handle well, but, perform at a drag strip better. Up until the GT350, just about all cars produced by Ford were straight line cars.

Last I check, Ford has not published an official time in ages. Chevy, on the other hand, has.

Please don't take what I'm saying in a combative or argumentative way. I was stating my opinion that it is well known Chevy cares more about ring times and lap times than Ford.

dude come on man. one of the first times the GT was revealed to the public it was done so in straight up race car livery

:rofl:

maxresdefault.jpg

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
so you're saying ford was showing it off "ricer style"?

this race livery? oh yeah, that doesn't mean shit, we don't plan on racing it, we just thought it looked cool.

:rofl:

Sarcasm went straight over your head man.

Answer my previous question, brah.

Chevy rolled up at VIR with full team, head engineer, harnesses, etc.

Ford rolled up at VIR with three people.

Ford ran first, said they weren't going for an "official fast lap time" then Chevy ran after, followed suit by also saying the same thing that it is basically just a casual run.

Kind of like saying when you race someone on the street, and barely beat them, you saying something like "Meh, I was only going half throttle brahhhhhhh" to save face.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
^ Not sure that was sarcasm. Vinyls make it faster now?

Again man, Chevy rolled up with a full team, there were three people with the FGT @ VIR.

Based on solely that, which team was more serious about a record time? Honest opinion.

You keep saying Chevy had a full team there. Ford wasnt going for lap times. But Ford was the one with a Pro race car driver while Chevy used their engineer.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
You keep saying Chevy had a full team there. Ford wasnt going for lap times. But Ford was the one with a Pro race car driver while Chevy used their engineer.

One thing to consider - Who do you think knew their cars better?

A Pro driver that maybe drove it a handful of time, or the guy that designed, tested and built the car?

My money is on the guy that built the car and designed it.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Eehh, you can't use the Jim Mero isn't a pro driver as ammo...dude can fucking wheel, pro or not. Especially Corvette's. How many Nurburgring lap records has he set in Corvette's? A fuckload.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Eehh, you can't use the Jim Mero isn't a pro driver as ammo...dude can fucking wheel, pro or not. Especially Corvette's. How many Nurburgring lap records has he set in Corvette's? A fuckload.

Dont feed me that shit Ford wasnt going for lap times when they show up with a pro driver.

Maybe Chevy would of won in Daytona last week if an engineer was the driver......

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Dont feed me that shit Ford wasnt going for lap times when they show up with a pro driver.

Maybe Chevy would of won in Daytona last week if an engineer was the driver......

Never said any of that....Just saying that Jim Mero is hardly "just an engineer". Mero was a pro driver. He raced up through the ranks and actually raced in Le Mans in 1995. There's no one more qualified to set lap times in an OEM Corvette than Mero. I would say there would be minimal, if any drop off, with a "pro."

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
I'm obviously a vette nut swinger, but the GT is leaps and bounds above the vette in technology and definitely in looks. You can build a yugo to blow the doors off a Ford GT, that doesn't mean its a better car.

+1 . I've seen both of them in person last week . ZR1 looks nice but the GT is just sick looking , whole another level when it comes to look . I wish they kept the similar price of gen 3 GT like gen 2 GT was

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info