YouTube Chevy just beat the Ford GT's VIR laptime - woops

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Again, not arguing at all about power/speed. The GT is lacking.

But the GT is just SO MUCH cooler looking and is so much more innovative design wise. The ZR1's styling is more along the lines of, let's throw as many wings, vents, and splitters as we can on it, they mostly serve a purpose, but let's just make it look racecar-y.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Road car vs the race car...also the Ford GT's happened to beat the Corvette's this past weekend at Daytona :io:

First and Second at the Rolex 24.

Not to discredit the ZR1, but even before the Z06/ZR1 times were posted Ford said that there was time left as Billy Johnson wasn't trying to run a 10/10th's lap record. It could also be an excuse too.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Also, the road version of the GT and the Z06 make more power than their Le Mans/Daytona versions...Both are limited to, from what I understand, around 500-550 HP.

Less power but an assload lighter and much better suspension, tires and brakes. GM has already admitted they have pushed a front engine/rear wheel drive platform as far as it can go. I'm not surprised the mid engine race car beat the front engine race car. Wait till the Zora makes it into the IMSA series.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Less power but an assload lighter and much better suspension, tires and brakes. GM has already admitted they have pushed a front engine/rear wheel drive car as far as it can go. I'm not surprised the mid engine race car beat the front engine race car. Wait till the Zora makes it into the IMSA series.

IMSA really tries to make the cars even, speed wise. The C7R has A TON left on the table, if they let loose the restrictors, but then again so does the GT. The forced induction cars seem to have a clear advantage when it comes to IMSA's attempts at balance of power.

The GT's were consistently .5 second faster per lap over the Corvette's. Even the Ferrari 488's could put up quicker times than the Corvette's, but the Corvette team is so well run, that they can make up a bit, but not as fast as the GT was. The GT would've had to run into some issues to fall behind.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
IMSA really tries to make the cars even, speed wise. The C7R has A TON left on the table, if they let loose the restrictors, but then again so does the GT. The forced induction cars seem to have a clear advantage when it comes to IMSA's attempts at balance of power.

The GT's were consistently .5 second faster per lap over the Corvette's. Even the Ferrari 488's could put up quicker times than the Corvette's, but the Corvette team is so well run, that they can make up a bit, but not as fast as the GT was. The GT would've had to run into some issues to fall behind.

I understand. It's the limitation of the handling for the platform.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Again, not arguing at all about power/speed. The GT is lacking.

But the GT is just SO MUCH cooler looking and is so much more innovative design wise. The ZR1's styling is more along the lines of, let's throw as many wings, vents, and splitters as we can on it, they mostly serve a purpose, but let's just make it look racecar-y.

Cooler looking?

Um, no:wavey:

:io:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I feel like the fact that the current ford GT was a project practically carried out in secret WITHIN ford, and that it's as good as it is, is a tremendous achievement.

I do not think the Vette being a spit faster should overshadow that fact. I also feel like the Vette has crazy mechanical grip and massive contact patches compared to all the active aero and slick engineering on the GT. I'm curious what the tire sizing on either of them is.

Side-Note, NEITHER of these cars get my jollies going. I think the ZR1 Vette has crossed the threshold of being gawdy, and the GT will go down as a collectors item of un-obtainum since the production run is so small.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I feel like the fact that the current ford GT was a project practically carried out in secret WITHIN ford, and that it's as good as it is, is a tremendous achievement.

I do not think the Vette being a spit faster should overshadow that fact. I also feel like the Vette has crazy mechanical grip and massive contact patches compared to all the active aero and slick engineering on the GT. I'm curious what the tire sizing on either of them is.

Side-Note, NEITHER of these cars get my jollies going. I think the ZR1 Vette has crossed the threshold of being gawdy, and the GT will go down as a collectors item of un-obtainum since the production run is so small.

Code:
 WHEELS AND TIRES
           Standard (F) Standard (R)
20 x 8.5 in. forged alloy wheels with 245/35R20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires
20 x 11.5 in. forged alloy wheels with 325/30R20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

So the front tires are crazy tiny for the grip.

http://performance.ford.com/content...sts/Media Room/2017/01/2017_GT_Tech_Specs.pdf

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What’s the point of all that active aero and innovative engineering if it doesn’t translate to speed?

Granted, this was only one track, two drivers, different days, so I don’t think it’s a definitive evaluation.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Code:
 WHEELS AND TIRES
           Standard (F) Standard (R)
20 x 8.5 in. forged alloy wheels with 245/35R20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires
20 x 11.5 in. forged alloy wheels with 325/30R20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

So the front tires are crazy tiny for the grip.

http://performance.ford.com/content...sts/Media Room/2017/01/2017_GT_Tech_Specs.pdf

The Vette is P285/30ZR19 front, P335/25ZR20 rear it looks like. 245 front on the GT is killer.

lol at people trying to discredit the vette. lol

The whole thread is a Dig at the GT, can’t be surprised that people dig back.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The Vette is P285/30ZR19 front, P335/25ZR20 rear it looks like. 245 front on the GT is killer.

The whole thread is a Dig at the GT, can’t be surprised that people dig back.

:bowrofl:

thank goodness, you yourself, the ford gt white knight is here to defend the ford gt engineers from undersizing the tires of their super car.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Props to the Vette.

As a guy that really doesn't care about track times, based on what I've read across three forums, the FGT did a baseline run and wasn't there for the best possible time.

The ZR1 had a full crew, dialed in suspension/alignment, etc.

I'm sure the FGT has more in it, but, for now, the Vette wins.

I will say, Ford has never really cared about ring times/lap times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info