Bill's new 2016 Focus RS

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
First Fill up since i picked it up from John this week.

An abysmal 20.3MPG average lol.

The Focus ST was pretty horrible for the first 1500 miles or so. When I first got it the best it would do on the highway was like 28-29mpg. But as it broke in I could nail 34mpg regularly without doing anything insane. If I did the insane hypermiling stuff I could get upwards of 38mpg (Cruise control at 50-55mph sticking behind semi's to kill the wind...etc)

I expect it will increase a few mpg.

My lifetime average with the Focus ST was just over 24mpg. So if I can get the RS to average out around 22mpg I'd be plenty happy with the trade-off.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Crazy how much Stealth Grey can differ between shots. I took these two photo's in slightly differing light within 30 seconds of each other.

28246408742_3143041021_o.jpg

28246409182_6664a10247_o.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Just got the tracking# for the Tow hook front plate mount. Faster than I expected. I can now look forward to being legal!

Also visited Boomba Racing today so they could look at some goodies. Maybe go back there again on another day when I have more time so they can see what other goodies might fit.

I have an idea for an exhaust.

Either the Z06 Muffler mod type thing where the muffler internals are modified. Or cut the factory muffler off, install a Y-pipe with one going to the butterfly valve, and another going to a muffler for the right tip. The trick would be to find a muffler compact enough to fit that can still muffle well.

When the butterfly opens up via the normal track mode stuff it would become a pure straight pipe exhaust. But for daily duties in normal mode it would be quiet and civil.

Thanks to forum peeps I've found and disabled the sound symposer entirely. Its literally just unplugging a DSP under the rear hatch floor cover. Doesn't affect anything on the car. The car is SHOCKINGLY quiet inside. Its more quiet than the Focus ST was by far.

So for an exhaust I'd want to increase the separation between Jeckle & Hide.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Just got the tracking# for the Tow hook front plate mount. Faster than I expected. I can now look forward to being legal!

Also visited Boomba Racing today so they could look at some goodies. Maybe go back there again on another day when I have more time so they can see what other goodies might fit.

I have an idea for an exhaust.

Either the Z06 Muffler mod type thing where the muffler internals are modified. Or cut the factory muffler off, install a Y-pipe with one going to the butterfly valve, and another going to a muffler for the right tip. The trick would be to find a muffler compact enough to fit that can still muffle well.

When the butterfly opens up via the normal track mode stuff it would become a pure straight pipe exhaust. But for daily duties in normal mode it would be quiet and civil.

Thanks to forum peeps I've found and disabled the sound symposer entirely. Its literally just unplugging a DSP under the rear hatch floor cover. Doesn't affect anything on the car. The car is SHOCKINGLY quiet inside. Its more quiet than the Focus ST was by far.

So for an exhaust I'd want to increase the separation between Jeckle & Hide.

hey next time you go to boomba, come by my house, i'm like a mile away :rofl:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Fuel Economy is slowly going up as the miles increase. Its not ever going to average where my Focus ST did, but it seems to be doing well enough.

First tank was 19.8mpg. Last tank was 21.5mpg. Same commute. Hope it continues to go upwards as it breaks in.

Focus ST averaged out around 24mpg after fully breaking in.

The Instant Fuel reading is just ridiculous under boost. It will easily read around 4MPG at full boost. haha.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So how do you like the car overall so far? How is the driveabilty, clutch, acceleration etc. It has a very hefty price tag for a hatchback so does it live up to the sticker shock?

It puts everything down insanely well. I haven't yet found a point where it will understeer. Slow in, Pedal to the metal out. The AWD system just manages everything perfectly.

I'm not used to having so much traction in the wet. Can just hammer the throttle like an idiot and it goes like stink.

Ride is definitely on the firm side. Some would find it uncomfortable. Shocks in "Sport" mode is a lie, should be called "track" mode for the shocks. With the shocks in "Sport" they stiffen up 40%. A massive increase. That mades the ride uncomfortable, you are riding along thinking, "this isn't so bad..." and suddenly you hit a rippled patch of pavement and shit is just shacking everywhere while you scramble to take the shocks out of Sport mode.

Interior wise its a good place to commute from. Its a very driver centric car though, and the interior isn't subtle at all. With the sound symposer unplugged though its so damned quiet. I like it like that though. The symposer volume is way too loud.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Anyone else see this?

Ford Cancelling Remaining 2016 Focus RS Orders, Customers Will Have to Wait for 2017 Model Year

Ford produces the 350-horsepower, all-wheel-drive Focus RS at its Saarlouis plant in Germany. The sought-after model arrived stateside this spring, with the automaker promising not to limit production.

According to emails obtained by TTAC, a Los Angeles dealer had three of its pending 2016 Focus RS orders cancelled by Ford and moved to the 2017 model year. That could mean months of delays for customers as they wait for next year’s deliveries.

The reason given to the dealer by a Ford rep for the cancellations? “Economic turmoil in Europe” that forced the Saarlouis plant to shut down, limiting production volume.

Thread Info