Bill's new 2016 Focus RS

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Sounds like I should keep my STG III FIST then.

Think of the way the turbo hits in a ST like a crashing wave. There is calm and nothing, then it knocks you over and drags you with it. But in the end the wave ends.

The RS is more like a tidal wave. Just a wall of torque that starts off slow and just floods you with torque and just doesn't pulling. Not until you shift into the next gear to start it all over again.

Can't wait to see what the results of a tune are going to be for the RS. I think Cobb has a tone left in their stage 1 tune.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Maybe a 1/4 the way through this tank. 130 miles or so on it. AVG says 20MPG. But it also started off at basically 0MPG.

John delivered the car to me with a full tank. So I'll know how its going to do pretty quick. Not that I'm being all that careful with driving right now. I'm keeping the engine speed varied and avoiding extended full throttle pulls. But I am using full throttle at times.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
A tune will definitely awaken a beast IMO. Even one of Cobbs subtle tunes.

I drove my ST hard and usually averaged 23-26 mixed. Highway 30+ and heavily modded.

Thats about what I got with my ST. I'd average 24-26mpg or so for the daily grind. But pure highway I could pull down 36mpg.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Spin all four tires yet ? :cool:

Nope, its REALLY hard to. I am pretty sure that would take a clutch dump or a damp road. I'm not used to this kind of traction.

In the GTA, traction is fleeting, specially on cold tires. You don't have to dump the clutch, just roll into it. Its only when the tires are warm can you roll into it and not break them loose. (Cept when the Opti-Fail occurs, then you can't spin them....ever)

In the RS, I have been rolling into throttle once the clutch was fully engaged because I don't want to hammer it and get hot spots while its still breaking in. But it doesn't matter what gear. Even 1st won't break them loose, it just spools and goes.

Which leads me to the reason I came back to this thread.

The more you drive the car, the more you begin to get a feel for how the different drive modes work. On the first day I couldn't tell the difference between Normal and Sport. Which to be fair, you couldn't on the ST either. All Sport mode on the ST does is reduce interference from the TCS and STM.

In the RS? It does a whole lot more, but subtly.

Example. Lets say you are rolling along on the highway doing 70mph in 6th gear. When you switch from Normal to Sport, the car lunges forwards slightly. This is because the throttle mapping has changed. Now, whatever filter was on the throttle input is gone. Boost is provoked more easily. The steering gets slightly heavier, and the exhaust mode changes as the butterfly opens up at times.

This car is honestly the FIRST car I've ever owned where I actually DON'T want Sport mode to be the default mode. I like the way Normal smooths out the daily grind. The softer settings make the car more civil feeling.

Track Mode, right now the only thing I can say about Track Mode is that it ONLY belongs on track. Really it does. The "Sport" setting for the dampers is insanely, uncomfortably stiff. The more you try it on normal roads, the more you just want to turn it off. It makes any road unbearable.

I briefly put the car into Track Mode for an on-ramp on the way home today., the Biesterfield / Rt 53 Onramp heading North. Its a nice steady state curve. In track mode the car stuck like glue, but I have NEVER realized how bumpy the road was. I could feel ever undulation in the asphalt. Every rut or ripple caused by a semi could be felt. Before I was even half way through I had my finger back on the damper button and switched them back to normal mode.

I feel like I've only tapped maybe 5/10ths of the cars cornering grip. I literally have not found a chance where I can push it to the limit yet.

If anyone at Chubby's wants to see the difference next Thursday we can go for a ride and I can show you just how different the car is in each mode.

Thread Info