Best Budget Steak Houses in Chicago/Suburb Area

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The problem is, all of those places mentioned on this page that aren’t really steak places, but that you can get a low price steak at, aren’t really “steak”. They’re usually some form of “skirt” steak and/or in very small quantity.

I’m a big boy. I eat big steaks. Anything less than 16 ounces without a bone or 18 – 20 ounces with a bone, is an appetizer to me. Yes, I’m a FUCKING pig…

Last year my Mother got me a 48 ounce Porterhouse from Omaha Steaks. It is 2” thick and takes up an entire plate. Not only did I polish it off in less than 10 minutes (my wife was astonished… she had only a couple bites into her 10 ounce filet by the time my bone was clean), but then I finished off her filet as well as my Mother’s filet…

I want a slab of cow… Not some dainty wannabe, poser, steak. Where’s the BEEF!!!

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I don't always take apart your posts.

I will contest things I see contesting. I don't single you out. You singled out whoever for spending 250 at capital grille, i merely posted how simple it would be to do.

I'm sorry your jimmiez are rustled.

Go have a steak.

I'll probably grill a nice grass-fed steak this weekend.

I didn't actually single 2quik out (If I did, sorry), I was just shocked two people could spend that much at a restaurant on the high side since we've been to our fair share of upscale places and never come close to that number even after ordering a full course of appetizer, entrees, drinks, dessert, etc.

All good here man, my thong is not tangled up at the moment. If it gets tangled, I usually take it off and go full commando.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
So, Capital grille and you're spending $250 for two people? The fuq are you buying?

Looks like the highest entree is about $48, so, that's $96 or so. Add two drinks each, maybe about $35, plus dessert and tip, I'd imagine you're at $165 or so.

I had lobster bisque, the wife had some other soup. She had a drink, I had a couple beers. We both had the bone in 16oz filet, and I had a dessert. It was worth every penny. That steak melted in your mouth. You guys can keep your tough, fatty steaks from applebees.

If we're not going to a nice place for steak, I'll go to the meat market and pick up a better steak than applebees for $20 and cook it myself. Wheaton meat market, good meat and decent prices.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The problem is, all of those places mentioned on this page that aren’t really steak places, but that you can get a low price steak at, aren’t really “steak”. They’re usually some form of “skirt” steak and/or in very small quantity.

I’m a big boy. I eat big steaks. Anything less than 16 ounces without a bone or 18 – 20 ounces with a bone, is an appetizer to me. Yes, I’m a FUCKING pig…

Last year my Mother got me a 48 ounce Porterhouse from Omaha Steaks. It is 2” thick and takes up an entire plate. Not only did I polish it off in less than 10 minutes (my wife was astonished… she had only a couple bites into her 10 ounce filet by the time my bone was clean), but then I finished off her filet as well as my Mother’s filet…

I want a slab of cow… Not some dainty wannabe, poser, steak. Where’s the BEEF!!!

wait.

what?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don’t know about you guys, but I am having NOTHING but problems here today… You get two actions on the board then a “500 – Internal server error”. You keep closing and reopening and it’s the same until like the 20th attempt and then it comes back. Then again, two actions and whammo…

Sorry, I didn’t realize we got bumped to a 3rd page. There were some on the 2nd page like Chipotle and stuff…

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I had lobster bisque, the wife had some other soup. She had a drink, I had a couple beers. We both had the bone in 16oz filet, and I had a dessert. It was worth every penny. That steak melted in your mouth. You guys can keep your tough, fatty steaks from applebees.

If we're not going to a nice place for steak, I'll go to the meat market and pick up a better steak than applebees for $20 and cook it myself. Wheaton meat market, good meat and decent prices.

Fair points.

I would like to say, we don't go to Applebees, Chili's, etc. I am a steak snob and I avoid places I know have crap meat.

$20 for a store bought steak is decent. We've dropped $30 on a 14oz strip at whole foods before. I cooked it to a nice medium rare and it was perfect.

Typically when we go out, I always get a steak, wife changes it up between steak, chicken, salmon, etc. Peter Millers, Coopers Hawk, Tuscany's, Wildfire are the most common places we go to for dinner.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's like Crocodile Dundee where he gets a knife pulled on him...

"That's not a knife, THIS is a knife..."

Same here, yes, academically, it's a "steak". It comes from a cow. Yup. But THIS is a "steak".

KING CUT: 48 oz. T-Bone Steak

see "the old 96er challenge"

1cc7849c2779116ce6f9b365e2687d0b

Menus

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Wildfire is good as well. Their buffalo meatballs are awesome and the mashed poatatoes are delicious!! Redstone is another awesome mention and not overly expensive.

Damn I forgot wildfire.

And I dont know if Im secretly a jew or something, but if I am paying over $100 for a steak dinner, I am plopping my ass down at a Texas De Brazil or a Fogo and need a wheel barrow to get to my car, cause my shit never goes red. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've been to Redstone, Lawrys, Wildfire, Ditka's, J Alexander etc
My point, I've never had a better steak than meat coming off my Weber grill.

Hell, if you want a delicious, cheap steak have them cook it for you at Marianos
:trollface:

i grill frequently, and quite competently.

but i can definitely admit that there are steaks out there I can't compete with.

i mean these nicer places have grills/setups that hit 1500 degrees.

if you're hitting those temps you can sear so much better than something hitting 7-750 at the highest.

Not to mention, higher end restaurants can buy meat, that the normal consumer cannot (very easily).

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Where can I get the best steak?
Mortons? Ruth's Chris??

those places didn't tickle my fancy.

My top four steaks I've had, not in any particular order... would be...

18oz Prime Dry-Aged Kansas City Strip from Swift & Sons

24oz Prime Bone-In Rib-Eye from the Palm downtown Chi

24oz Prime Bone-In Rib-Eye from Kaminski Bro's in the Dells.

16oz Prime Rib-Eye from Homestead inside Caesars Palace in vegas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info