Awww yeah tax season

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I was curious what bracket I was in and found this.

TAX%20BRACKETS.png

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Tax rate isn't 'lower' as one may think, it's just common to drop tax brackets when you have dual income where one party may be lower.

I don't remember the numbers but say you make 42k a year, and your wife makes 12 because she is in school and working part time

Well the single bracket for 23% was 30-55, married is 55-80

So bam, you just dropped tax brackets because you are under 55k married.

(Again, I don't remember what the numbers actually are, just giving an example).

I don't really care the reason if she's in school or stays at home. Everyone has earning potential. Yet 2 people can make 100k easier. I'm speaking from a hourly wage perspective. I have to work many more hours than a couple to make 100k. So why should I pay more than them?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It's gross adjusted 70 something thousand bumps you to the 25% bracket anything under that is 15% if I remember right, married filing jointly

Another item on that; IIRC you aren't just flat taxed at 25% on your entire income, but you are taxed at the lower % up until the next bracket, and then taxed at a higher percentage at the next bracket.

So if you make 100K you'd be taxed at 15% until 70k, then taxed at 25% on the remaining 30K with your example (I recall correctly)

*Update*

Pulled up the 2016 brackets, and It's a bigger gap than I though, which would knock a lot of joint filers down into the 15% only bracket.

Joint filing at 15% is up to $75,000, while single filing is 37,650.

Median house hold income in IL is $59,588, so that kinda tells it all right there, if one person makes makes 44,000, while the other makes 16,000, you save 10% on Taxes for $6,350 if you file jointly/married.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't really care the reason if she's in school or stays at home. Everyone has earning potential. Yet 2 people can make 100k easier. I'm speaking from a hourly wage perspective. I have to work many more hours than a couple to make 100k. So why should I pay more than them?

Because the 'bread winner' has to support the other financially in the governments eyes, while you don't have anyone to support but yourself.

Its the governments way of giving me a spec of race-car money despite being married :bowrofl:.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Because the 'bread winner' has to support the other financially in the governments eyes, while you don't have anyone to support but yourself.

Its the governments way of giving me a spec of race-car money despite being married :bowrofl:.

So because you CHOOSE to have a wife and x amount of kids you deserve a break. But because I CHOOSE to not get married I shouldn't.

Just seems illogical.

Oh and I do have to support my son. I pay more in child support than some people pay for a mortgage.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Still waiting on all of my paperwork. Haven't received a single piece.

Same here...and I'm getting impatient. The curiosity is killing me

I remember last year I plugged in all of our deductions and just my income and I was showing like a $3k refund...then I added the wife's income and it dropped to owing somewhere around $4k.

i *think* that between getting more bonus money last year (taxed at higher rate), putting $1,500 toward an HSA, and spending more on insurance I might actually break even.

I'll flip if I get a refund.....before working here I was straight commission on a 1099 so I haven't had a tax refund since I was 19 years old

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
Soooooooo apparently, being such a "NOOB" that I am, changing jobs and getting a divorce kinda fubar'd my shit. Not only did I fuck up by not changing my contribution during the divorce but the bump in the new job messed me up (Atleast I had the W4 there at 0).....

Here's to owing for the first time (however the ex will probably get 5k back without paying shit for taxes.....)

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Soooooooo apparently, being such a "NOOB" that I am, changing jobs and getting a divorce kinda fubar'd my shit. Not only did I fuck up by not changing my contribution during the divorce but the bump in the new job messed me up (Atleast I had the W4 there at 0).....

Here's to owing for the first time (however the ex will probably get 5k back without paying shit for taxes.....)

Welcome to America

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
So did the taxing of Bonuses change this year? Last year my bonus was taxed at around 40%. We just got our Bonus this year and it was only taxed at a straight 25%. Now I'm not complaining, I just don't want any surprises when I file next year. I questioned it and they said it was correct. I'm still worried.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
25% is the flat tax rate for bonuses. Your employer did it right, some employers choose the aggregate method, that taxes closer to 40%. You get the difference back when you file, but its an interest free loan to the government.

Bonuses can be taxed in two ways:

1. The Percentage Method

The IRS specifies a flat “supplemental rate” of 25%, meaning that any supplemental wages (including bonuses) should be taxed in that amount. If you receive a $5,000 bonus, under this rule, $1,250 (25% of $5,000) goes straight to the IRS. Using this approach, the amount of your bonus, whatever it is, is “singled out” from the rest of your income and taxed directly. Employers frequently choose the percentage method because it’s easy and mindless to tax the entire bonus at a uniform rate. In most cases, this is ideal from your standpoint as the bonus receiver and taxpayer, too. The aggregate method (described below), in addition to being more time-consuming and laborious for employers, can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments.

2. The Aggregate Method

Unlike the much simpler percentage method, the aggregate method is used when your employer pays your bonus (say, $5,000) with your most recent regular paycheck. Then, they determine the normal withholding amount based on IRS withholding tables for the sum of both amounts, subtract what was already withheld from your last paycheck, and withhold the rest from the bonus amount.

The problem with this approach is that instead of taxes being withheld at a flat 25%, and having that 25% rate apply only to the bonus amount, taxes are withheld at what is almost certainly a higher rate on the combined amount of your normal pay and the bonus. The result: a higher overall tax obligation initially for the same amount of income.

Bonus Time: How Bonuses Are Taxed and Treated by the IRS | The TurboTax Blog

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
So did the taxing of Bonuses change this year? Last year my bonus was taxed at around 40%. We just got our Bonus this year and it was only taxed at a straight 25%. Now I'm not complaining, I just don't want any surprises when I file next year. I questioned it and they said it was correct. I'm still worried.

its based off of what your employer sets itto be i think.

my bonuses are taxed like a regular paycheck.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
its based off of what your employer sets itto be i think.

my bonuses are taxed like a regular paycheck.

Thanks. But my main thought is, how does the IRS view it. Now that it was taxed at 25% it's still a bonus, will the IRS still be looking for the additional taxes that I was charged last year when I file next year? I hope that makes sense as it sounds confusing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info