any of you check out sous vide cooking at home

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
guys with crock pot setups for larger pieces of meat/quantities of meat, do you think aerating the water is necessary? or will it be consistent temperature throughout?

i guess the anova aerates because it is the heat source- whereas a crock pot- the whole thing is the heat source.

im doing a corned beef brisket right now, will be done tonight

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
guys with crock pot setups for larger pieces of meat/quantities of meat, do you think aerating the water is necessary? or will it be consistent temperature throughout?

i guess the anova aerates because it is the heat source- whereas a crock pot- the whole thing is the heat source.

im doing a corned beef brisket right now, will be done tonight

the normal convection currents are going to keep the temperature of the water pretty damn close to even in a vessel the size of a crockpot. If you were cooking in something 3' deep i'd be worried.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I hooked up my ranco controller to my crook pot. Testing now.

Wow these dropped in price since I bought mine.
RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW: Tools Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I've installed probably 100 of those fuckers at nearly every white hen that turned into a 7-11 in the Chicago area :bowrofl:. Company I used to work for had their refrigeration and HVAC service contract. White hen used to have all their refrigeration on one circuit, 7-11 took over and ripped it all out basically overnight and only left their walk in coolers on their rack system. Well, it was not engineered AT ALL and we had horrible problems with them. Converted every single store to a pumpdown system and pulled all the EPRs out. I had a stack of probably 20 of these things in my van at all times.

This is what i had originally planned to use to make my controller, but decided on a cleaner package.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I can't wait to do a pork shoulder for like 2 days. Likely the best pulled pork I'll ever make

yeah i dunno what to do, ive been smoking it since noonish today, injected/sprayed... but now i dunno if i should pull it, and cut it into pieces and put it into bags to sous vide...

or finish it on the traeger.

or go lazy and throw it in the crock pot.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
me personally- this one today i smoked it like 6 hours or so.

that looks fuckin awesome. is it?

The actual pork was amazing. The reduction sauce was REALLY rich. I made it with onions and cranberry sauce and the drippings from the bag. I didn't like it at first, but it was more appealing the more and more pork I ate. The carrots were amazing, I just peeled them, put oil on them and covered them with a mix of honey and sirracha with a dash of chili powder and baked them at 350 for about 40 minutes. It's all basically a ripoff of the recipe I saw YouTube user C.T.P. do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info