any of you check out sous vide cooking at home

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
fwiw. that isn't going to aerate the water, or heat it. you still need some sort of heating element.

i looked into diy solutions.

then i decided i'd rather just buy one that works and not ruin expensive pieces of meat potentially trying to become an engineer.

LOL! I just love to build shit.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
LOL! I just love to build shit.

:rofl: do it. i want to be able to sous vide a 13 lb pork shoudler i decided. :rofl:

How many watts of heaters can this handle? If you buy the good stuff your right around what kj has in his.
Ranco controller $75
1 or 2 500watt heating element $30-50
Small air pump $20

:fy:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
OK, has anybody tried this yet? I'm really intrigued, but I don't want to be the TCG guinea pig.... I have a habit of overcooking burgers on the grille due to fear of eating raw hamburger meat, I'd love to try burgers with this method.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
some insight on cooking chicken sous vide...

Sous-Vide 101: Low-Temperature Chicken | Serious Eats

peculiar. everything says 140* instead of 165... it explains it because of the length of time cooking...

Sous Vide Chicken Teriyaki - No Recipes

Since most conventional ovens don’t go below 175 degrees F, we usually cook chicken by blasting it with heat in the hopes that we can stop the cooking just as the inside reaches 165 degrees F. The problem with this approach is that by the time the center of the meat hits a temperature of 165 F, the rest of the meat has blown past that number, resulting in the core temperature rising further due to the residual heat. That’s why most recipes will have you pull the chicken out of the oven after it reaches 160 degrees F, which factors in about 5 degrees of additional cooking from the carry over cooking.
If you’re confused, I don’t blame you, cooking chicken breast in a traditional oven is a bit like going duck hunting with a slingshot. Put simply, chicken breasts aren’t well suited to being cooked via traditional methods. So how should we be cooking chicken breasts?
Well, let’s first take a look at the reasons behind the recommended internal temperature of 165 F for chicken. According to the USDA, salmonella is killed almost instantly in chicken at temperatures above 162 F. By setting the guideline at 165 F, they’re giving a conservative number that’s easy to remember and accounts for variables such as the fat content of the meat and inaccuracies of thermometers. Like most things in nature though, killing pathogens isn’t so black and white.
Killing pathogens isn’t just about temperature, it’s also a function of time. For instance at temperatures above 162 degrees F, Salmonella is destroyed in under 10 seconds, at 150 degrees F it takes 2.7 minutes and at 136 degrees F it tastes 63.3 minutes. So in theory you could cook chicken to 136 degrees (which is the equivalent to a medium rare steak) and provided you held it there for long enough, it would be just as safe to eat as an overcooked piece of chicken registering 180 degrees F.
But with traditional cooking methods, holding chicken at a low temperature for such a long time would have been next to impossible, and certainly out of the reach of most home cooks. This is where cooking sous vide really shines. It’s a technique that allows you to cook food in a waterbath that’s held at a constant temperature. This allows you to cook difficult foods such as chicken breast safely and predictably, which is why the technique has become so popular in restaurants kitchens.

Read more: Sous Vide Chicken Teriyaki - No Recipes
All images and text on this website are protected by copyright. Please do not post or republish this recipe or images without permission. If you want want to share this recipe just share the link rather than the whole recipe.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
5DEdryP.jpg

this one. you have to use one that has simple on/off controls. Essentially just building an outlet controlled by a relay that the crock pot plugs into, and is controlled by temperature.

you could plug in some other sort of heater and use another vessel to cook in. I just happen to have a crock pot so that takes some more money out of the equation.

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
I was going to build my own like the ones mentioned in this thread buty pulled the trigger on the anova one with lcd touch screen. I used it once to make pork roast, which usually turns out dry and using the sous it turned out perfect. Have never had a roast like that. Used just some garlic salt, lawrys seasoning, salt, pepper and a littel butter. Nothing special at all. Instead of searing the meat on a pan im going to by the searzall torch attachment. Going to make pork tenderloin tonight.

41yFlEbtCzL.jpg

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
I bought some parts to make a DIY sous vide crockpot controller today. $43.58 total. I'll make a build thread when everything shows up

that's what i did. my initial crock pot didn't work, but i bought a new one for $20. so with the price of the crockpot i have $47 in my cooker...and OMFG, food is amazing. i think my favorite is pork chops to far. granted, steak and chicken are delicious, but i normally eat a ton of porkchops and they are so damn tender and juicy!!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sous-vide-cooker-for-less-than-40/all/

XpPBEfa.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info