Your favorite cut of Steak, and why?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The types of steak that come from the short loin are NY Strip, Porterhouse, and T-bone, right? While I cannot speak for the nuances of porterhouse, because I haven't experienced one in recent history, T-bone is nowhere near as tender as ribeye in my experience. T-bone also has some gristle too, which isn't something I ever experience in a ribeye or NY strip. Needless to say, I am none too impressed with T-bone.

I think it has to do with where it is on the animal. Fore and aft as well as top to bottom. As well as where it is in relation to bone. Because I agree that the T bone is not as tender as say a strip or filet mignon. Even though both come from the short loin.

However, and perhaps I am mistaken in this, I have always assumed that a porterhouse is just a larger version of a t-bone, is it not?

You are correct. Again, I think it depends on where it is on the animal. Maybe the way it is cut, grade of beef and more. I am by no means an expert on the subject. lol

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I think it has to do with where it is on the animal. Fore and aft as well as top to bottom. As well as where it is in relation to bone. Because I agree that the T bone is not as tender as say a strip or filet mignon. Even though both come from the short loin.

You are correct. Again, I think it depends on where it is on the animal. Maybe the way it is cut, grade of beef and more. I am by no means an expert on the subject. lol

Yes location of the cut of steak on the animal has everything to do with how it tastes, tenderness, juiciness, etc. The less the muscle is used in day to day life the more tender it is, on average. So, while I like the tenderness of filet, it is outweighed by the fat marbling and juicy awesomeness of cuts that are a little more forward in my opinion.

I did a little reading, and apparently porterhouse basically looks like a t-bone steak, but the two different types of meat on either side of the bone are reversed in proportion of size; and porterhouse's overall size is usually bigger. I may need to give one of these a whirl just to see how they fare against other cuts.

Oh, all this talk about steaks has me thinking that I need to go to the market and pick a ribeye up for this evening's dinner!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info