Your favorite cut of Steak, and why?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Ribeye is good for flavor and easy to get anywhere.

The best cut is short loin. The muscle doesn't do much so it is very tender and plenty of marbling.

The types of steak that come from the short loin are NY Strip, Porterhouse, and T-bone, right? While I cannot speak for the nuances of porterhouse, because I haven't experienced one in recent history, T-bone is nowhere near as tender as ribeye in my experience. T-bone also has some gristle too, which isn't something I ever experience in a ribeye or NY strip. Needless to say, I am none too impressed with T-bone.

Onto porterhouse... I really want to try a good porterhouse steak because it's the only cut of steak that I haven't gotten a proper sample of. However, and perhaps I am mistaken in this, I have always assumed that a porterhouse is just a larger version of a t-bone, is it not?

One day I will get some kobe wagyu steaks imported, and give those a try. Should be badass!

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Preferably aged, Bone in ribeye medium rare please
ru6edysu.jpg

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
I've always thought of skirt and flank as a cheaper cut of meat but as of recently I've been surprised with the prices.

Supply and demand. From what I understand there isn't a whole lot of flank steak useable on the cow. Not sure if that's true or not.

now that America is coming around to different ways of cooking it and a lot of Mexican restaurants use it. The demand is much higher.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What are the prices there? Are the steaks choice grade or prime? Its close enough that I might swing by if the price/grade is right.

you might need to give them a call for that one, I thought it was choice, but it may be prime--

they fresh cut most of the steaks when i get there... had ribeyes cut an inch and 3/4 last time i was there.

on second thought, for the price- I'm thinking they are choice for sure. I think I paid ~$10 a pound for those ribeyes...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wasn't really blown away Chicago Cut. I had a bone in ribeye and it wasn't really anything special considering it was a $60 piece of meat.

I felt the same way about Gene & Georgetti. It tasted like a Jewel steak. I guess everyone has an off night. I've yet to have a bad/mediocre meal at Chicago Cut.

I agree with both of these. Was unimpressed.

My favorite place is wilmot stage stop.

some people don't enjoy it but it is by far my favorite.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info