Your chance at a bayside blue R34

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Still very illegal, the Govt even says so...cars cannot be registered, titled, etc...for off road use only.

Someone is gonna pay probably 80k for a R34 they cant even drive. I'm SHOCKED the govt is even allowing the sales.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Still very illegal, the Govt even says so...cars cannot be registered, titled, etc...for off road use only.

Someone is gonna pay probably 80k for a R34 they cant even drive. I'm SHOCKED the govt is even allowing the sales.
allowing the sales?

not only that, they are the ones selling them :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score

Could you buy it and just park it "til it's legal"?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score

i doubt this car came through a legal channel either. weren't they crushing these cars a few years ago?

what about after 25 years?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Back when I was heavily researching importing, etc....you couldnt even bring a 32 (for example) into the country and store it. I think you could briefly but it had to leave the country.

I'm not sure what loophole is at play here but again, I'm shocked these cars are able to stay (some at least).

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I should get my boy Sean in here to explain whats going on.

Edit: Put the bat signal out for him...guest posting is turned on...maybe he'll drop knowledge bombs...b/c I'm sure I'm way outdated on this shit.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Ridiculous to me the government wouldn't even allow people to buy and store them. I partially understand not allowing them on the road...but not allowing me to have it for offroad use....fuck off!

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Back when I was heavily researching importing, etc....you couldnt even bring a 32 (for example) into the country and store it. I think you could briefly but it had to leave the country.

I'm not sure what loophole is at play here but again, I'm shocked these cars are able to stay (some at least).
Wasn't that the show exemption? Or something similar to where it could come in for exhibition, but then had to leave.

I know I looked in to this to get some Holden Ute's over here a long time back.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Show & Display is what allows the midnight purple R34s to be allowed in the country....along with the Nismo 32s that were brought in prior to the 25 year rule.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
Will this open the door to other JDM cars being imported (for off-road use only) then? Since big brother is selling it, because I cant imagine any of these were brought here through a legal channel.

frank

Donating Member
Reaction score
Only way to get those cars Legal one would say here in the states, is purchase them, ship them over seas and start the process of getting them legal/ transported back here to the states which could take years to do so and a good amount of money .

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
The last I read was that the "Show & Display" was for specific cars. There is actually a list or approved cars. It is all super rare cars. A quick search lead to broken links of the lists for approved and non-approved cars. But I did see this

jalopnik said:
In fact, the U.S. government maintains a list of vehicles it has approved for Show and Display – and the list includes cars like the Aston Martin One-77, the Bugatti EB110, the McLaren F1, and the Mercedes CLK-GTR. Likewise, it maintains a list of vehicle it has denied under Show and Display – and that list includes cars like the Mazda Cosmo, the Lotus Elise S1, the Audi RS2, and virtually every standard variation of the Nissan Skyline GT-R that you can possibly imagine.

What is required for Show & Display. But again, dated 2003.
https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/howtosd072003.html

I don't think I ever read something that showed that you can take a Show & Display car and title it once it is 25 years old. But will be interesting to see what info comes out of this thread.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
the skyline you cant drive is up to 65k. yet the Bentley you can is at $150.00 :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Only way to get those cars Legal one would say here in the states, is purchase them, ship them over seas and start the process of getting them legal/ transported back here to the states which could take years to do so and a good amount of money .
That jalopnik article says a car that is 21 years old they can be EPA compliant but not DOT compliant. DOT compliant means you have to submit several cars for testing. So that is a huge investment to go that route.

The “Substantially Similar” Clause is interesting. But still super limited it seems.

frank

Donating Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue is how the cars came over here to the states if not done properly, which I’m going to guess they were not, you still need to export the car over seas and do all the paperwork to bring them back over to the US.

Z28Camaro

Reaction score
Would not be that hard to send it to Canada and put it in storage while working on the path to import it properly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom