Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Still very illegal, the Govt even says so...cars cannot be registered, titled, etc...for off road use only.

Someone is gonna pay probably 80k for a R34 they cant even drive. I'm SHOCKED the govt is even allowing the sales.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Still very illegal, the Govt even says so...cars cannot be registered, titled, etc...for off road use only.

Someone is gonna pay probably 80k for a R34 they cant even drive. I'm SHOCKED the govt is even allowing the sales.

i doubt this car came through a legal channel either. weren't they crushing these cars a few years ago?

what about after 25 years?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Back when I was heavily researching importing, etc....you couldnt even bring a 32 (for example) into the country and store it. I think you could briefly but it had to leave the country.

I'm not sure what loophole is at play here but again, I'm shocked these cars are able to stay (some at least).

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Back when I was heavily researching importing, etc....you couldnt even bring a 32 (for example) into the country and store it. I think you could briefly but it had to leave the country.

I'm not sure what loophole is at play here but again, I'm shocked these cars are able to stay (some at least).

Wasn't that the show exemption? Or something similar to where it could come in for exhibition, but then had to leave.

I know I looked in to this to get some Holden Ute's over here a long time back.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The last I read was that the "Show & Display" was for specific cars. There is actually a list or approved cars. It is all super rare cars. A quick search lead to broken links of the lists for approved and non-approved cars. But I did see this

jalopnik said:
In fact, the U.S. government maintains a list of vehicles it has approved for Show and Display – and the list includes cars like the Aston Martin One-77, the Bugatti EB110, the McLaren F1, and the Mercedes CLK-GTR. Likewise, it maintains a list of vehicle it has denied under Show and Display – and that list includes cars like the Mazda Cosmo, the Lotus Elise S1, the Audi RS2, and virtually every standard variation of the Nissan Skyline GT-R that you can possibly imagine.

What is required for Show & Display. But again, dated 2003.
https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/howtosd072003.html

I don't think I ever read something that showed that you can take a Show & Display car and title it once it is 25 years old. But will be interesting to see what info comes out of this thread.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Only way to get those cars Legal one would say here in the states, is purchase them, ship them over seas and start the process of getting them legal/ transported back here to the states which could take years to do so and a good amount of money .

That jalopnik article says a car that is 21 years old they can be EPA compliant but not DOT compliant. DOT compliant means you have to submit several cars for testing. So that is a huge investment to go that route.

The “Substantially Similar” Clause is interesting. But still super limited it seems.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I knew this was coming :mamoru:

Screenshot_20190327-224114.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info