🚘 Automotive Will the c8 z06 Hold Value (vs MSRP, forget markups)

Will the c8 z06 Hold Value (relative to MSRP, forget markups)

• No way, it's a $120k+ chevy and they make 7000 per year

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • Yes, it's absurdly fast and future price increases will likely keep used cars close to MSRP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
More info here as well

and my post from another thread..here's a z07 car (which is limited due to CF parts shortages) that isn't moving at 10k over

This z07 car has been sitting at a local dealership forever, it's now asking 10k over and isn't moving :oops::oops::oops:, at one point it was 50k over. Buddy's friend that works there said that they actually turned down an offer for 40k over when they first got it...if that's true they are idiots

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
No. Performance doesn’t appear to be as large of a leap as it was with the c6 and c7. It’s also ugly as sin.
I disagree with the performance assessment. In a straight line maybe, but around a road course (where it was designed to be) it outperforms basically every car under 300k

1705600819215.png

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I think it will hold about as much as C7 and C6’s did. The ZR1 or Zora will be the one that holds value
That's kind of scary because C7 z06's sold at a heavy discount new and then kept depreciating, read some of the examples in this thread from 2019. I clearly remember cars that stickered at 85k+ asking 55-59k with low miles in 2019. That being said, the c7 is definitely not one of the better iterations of the corvette, so it may not be a good comparison for the c8.

C6 on the other hand....amazing cars but I can't remember how they depreciated in the first 5 years and don't have time to look it up.

• Haha
Reactions: cdh027

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
That's kind of scary because C7 z06's sold at a heavy discount new and then kept depreciating, read some of the examples in this thread from 2019. I clearly remember cars that stickered at 85k+ asking 55-59k with low miles in 2019. That being said, the c7 is definitely not one of the better iterations of the corvette, so it may not be a good comparison for the c8.

C6 on the other hand....amazing cars but I can't remember how they depreciated in the first 5 years and don't have time to look it up.

Once the “novelty “ wears off they will drop steadily for awhile. The ZR1 and then the Zora will be released. The Z06 will be a decent bang for the buck car after a few years because nobody will want to pay the premium for them. The won’t drop as bad as the base models but I don’t think they will hold much value either.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
aren't they now 2-3yrs behind schedule on production? if they ever catch up, i could see them selling at msrp or slightly above..but these aren't 70k vettes anymore. These retail for over 100k now starting, correct?
Last I heard 2023 was in the top 3 production years in the 70 year history of the corvette, ever. I think 77 and 84 were the other 2 years. 23 may have wound up being #1 when it was all said and done. Stingrays selling over MSRP days are over. Z06's were behind schedule though because it was the first year of production.

Edit:
It was 79, not 77 and 2023 fell short of the record by 22 cars. 53,785 cars produced which is fuck load of vettes.

"Now that we have the official stats for the 2023 model year, we can officially tell you that 1979 still owns the Corvette production record, while the 2023 model year is now second all-time with 53,785 cars produced. That's a margin of just 22 cars to tie the all-time record and 23 to beat it."

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Last I heard 2023 was in the top 3 production years in the 70 year history of the corvette, ever. I think 77 and 84 were the other 2 years. 23 may have wound up being #1 when it was all said and done. Stingrays selling over MSRP days are over. Z06's were behind schedule though because it was the first year of production.

Edit:
It was 79, not 77 and 2023 fell short of the record by 22 cars. 53,785 cars produced which is fuck load of vettes.

"Now that we have the official stats for the 2023 model year, we can officially tell you that 1979 still owns the Corvette production record, while the 2023 model year is now second all-time with 53,785 cars produced. That's a margin of just 22 cars to tie the all-time record and 23 to beat it."
I believe I read they made 7,000 z06's in 2023, I wonder when they're fully ramped up how many Z's will be made per year.

I can respect this though, I always complain when cool stuff is made in such limited #'s that only the rich can afford it. The z06 is badass so props to Chevy if they start churning out 10k of them per year, but yeah that doesn't bode well for resale. No car is an investment but that doesn't change the fact that losing 30k+ on a chevy would really piss me off.

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

So I'm not sure what they're actually selling for, but it seems like lower mile nice C7Z's are being listed in the 65k range. C6Z's are kinda all over. The less desirable colors with 50k+ miles are 38-40k and the more desirable colors with lower miles are being listed around 50k, which I think is crazy.

Also, why do people say the C7 is not a good iteration? It has a great interior, they look great, and they are performers. Why does TCG hate these cars? lol

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So I'm not sure what they're actually selling for, but it seems like lower mile nice C7Z's are being listed in the 65k range. C6Z's are kinda all over. The less desirable colors with 50k+ miles are 38-40k and the more desirable colors with lower miles are being listed around 50k, which I think is crazy.

Also, why do people say the C7 is not a good iteration? It has a great interior, they look great, and they are performers. Why does TCG hate these cars? lol
I think it's mostly the appearance and the overheating issues that turned a lot of people off, and the crappy auto transmission. For me personally I'm kind of indifferent on it

I'm not trying to state this as my personal opinion being fact, they were offered new at major discounts and still depreciated pretty bad for a reason: the market didn't like them. Like everything though they skyrocketed after covid.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I think it's mostly the appearance and the overheating issues that turned a lot of people off, and the crappy auto transmission. For me personally I'm kind of indifferent on it

I'm not trying to state this as my personal opinion being fact, they were offered new at major discounts and still depreciated pretty bad for a reason: the market didn't like them. Like everything though they skyrocketed after covid.
By that logic, the market didn't like anything pre covid. I bought a new Scat Pack in 2017 for like $12k off sticker, my 2015 Mustang was about 5.5k off sticker and that was the first year when they were hot. Camaros were discounted big time as well back before Covid.

Remember MINT C6Z's selling for mid 30's pre covid? C5Z's with less than 20k miles could be had for around $20k as well pre covid.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
By that logic, the market didn't like anything pre covid. I bought a new Scat Pack in 2017 for like $12k off sticker, my 2015 Mustang was about 5.5k off sticker and that was the first year when they were hot. Camaros were discounted big time as well back before Covid.

Remember MINT C6Z's selling for mid 30's pre covid? C5Z's with less than 20k miles could be had for around $20k as well pre covid.
I don't remember mint c6z's being mid 30's pre covid, but you have a point. Maybe c7's were just another z06, not better not worse, idk.

I need a time machine to go back to 2019 lol

Reactions: Jeffs FRC

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

Yeah, you could snag a low mileage one for low 30's!

Reactions: Jeffs FRC

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I think they will hold value. I don't nessisarily see them appreciating in value as a whole. it is a mass produced car (even if the numbers are low). But I see them holding value and not depreciating as much as a regular C8 will (and as all base vettes do).

First mid-engined DOHC flat plane crank Vette.

We had DOHC with the C4 ZR1, and that was a special car with a near $30,000 option that basically doubled the price of the car. Those cars held value well enough. Heck, for a long time you could buy a ZR1 crate motor I you had $32,000 sitting around back in the 90's and early 2000's.

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
We had DOHC with the C4 ZR1, and that was a special car with a near $30,000 option that basically doubled the price of the car. Those cars held value well enough. Heck, for a long time you could buy a ZR1 crate motor I you had $32,000 sitting around back in the 90's and early 2000's.
Actually those ZR1's have done horrible. Just now are they starting to creep up in value, but they never took off. They were $65k BACK IN 1991!!! Pre Covid had those things in the TEENS with low miles.

Check this link to see what ultra low mile ZR1's are getting these days and then check back to 2019....it's crazy.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Yeah C4 ZR1s haven’t sold worth shit for years. Pre Covid my parents neighbor was trying to sell his for some stupid $100k or something. Highest it bid to on eBay was like $15k. From the auction results I’m seeing currently most of them struggle to make it to $20k and they do t sell.

Thread Info