Who's traveling this year abroad?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I'll post a review. I've flown plenty of domestic and international first class.....so I'll compare. I'm 6'2, so I can't do more than 3-4 hour flights in regular economy.....the extra room is worth every penny to me.

Premium economy:
iu

Domestic first class:
iu

those definitely look quite similar, although looking at this plane (just looked up the dallas to sao paolo 777) seatguru says 18.5" wide - https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/A...an_Airlines_777-300_ER.php?flightno=930&date= while looking at a domestic airbus (ord-lax) https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/A...n_Airlines_Airbus_A319.php?flightno=914&date= first is 21" wide. the 777 in this example (LHR-MIA) https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/american-airlines-772-premium-econ-lhr-mia/ had 17 to 19 for economy to premium economy (not sure if rounding here or what)

in any case, i agree, i'm 6'2" as well, a 7 8 14 etc hour international flight in economy would not be something i'd be looking forward to either, so would scrap or pay for any upgrade.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Though I don't like flying, I enjoy international trips. Our last trip pre 'vid was to the UK and the Netherlands. There are a lot of cities I'd like to visit, too many to list.

I've flown economy to Europe, I'm 6 feet tall, sucks a bit. I've flown even longer economy, Capetown. My wife and I were on the brink of divorce after 24 hours of flying and changing planes.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Reminds me of the most brutal flight I ever took, Mexico City-Tokyo 14hrs in economy sitting next to a little Japanese boy trying to use me as his pillow.

i forgot the routing i had for one with accenture, my travel partner and i were also unaware of the you-can-take-a-day-break policy if travel was > 24 hours. we did something like stafford UK to berlin to tokyo to christchurch new zealand. all in economy. took forever, minimal crap sleep, we were like zombies the latter half and just shuttled around to where we needed to be without being very clear what day it was.

my longest purposeful mileage run set out to be 8 flights in 32 hours, but ended up with my 2nd flight being canceled at 5am as i was driving to milwaukee, but i took it anyway and pushed through the weekend, to what ended up being 7 longer flights total and 46 hours. flying in/out of dallas twice during the ice storm when people were actually camped out in the airport for days. with a combo of status, being super flexible as 1 person, and being super flexible in that i kinda had a place to be but was taking the long way around on purpose and staff were ok bending rules for me, i ended up flying this route:

1454922_10101594190197169_1322186325_n.jpg

what i really needed to do: go from chicago to minneapolis by monday morning.

this was the 2nd year i qualified on AA for EXP, did it the most painful way (flight segments) and the 2nd year i did a mileage run i didn't actually end up needing to do in the end. you need 100 flights, i had 108 year 1 and 112 year 2. i also didn't even end up using a lot of the fancier AA benefits.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Though I don't like flying, I enjoy international trips. Our last trip pre 'vid was to the UK and the Netherlands. There are a lot of cities I'd like to visit, too many to list.

I've flown economy to Europe, I'm 6 feet tall, sucks a bit. I've flown even longer economy, Capetown. My wife and I were on the brink of divorce after 24 hours of flying and changing planes.
I flew to Singapore with my wife and kids....13 hours to Japan, change planes, then 7 hours to Singapore....total fucking shit show LOL! We did economy plus, but that was uncomfortable as shit after a while too.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
^that's rough Ryan. Fam and I are okay for a 7-8 hour flight (Europe). We did fly to Singapore a couple of years back, I think it was direct. A bit long, and of course the 12 hour time difference tends to be a pain.

One thing I realized about 7 years ago is that I get a little bit of motion sickness when flying. So I take dramamine and it really helps.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
i forgot the routing i had for one with accenture, my travel partner and i were also unaware of the you-can-take-a-day-break policy if travel was > 24 hours. we did something like stafford UK to berlin to tokyo to christchurch new zealand. all in economy. took forever, minimal crap sleep, we were like zombies the latter half and just shuttled around to where we needed to be without being very clear what day it was.

my longest purposeful mileage run set out to be 8 flights in 32 hours, but ended up with my 2nd flight being canceled at 5am as i was driving to milwaukee, but i took it anyway and pushed through the weekend, to what ended up being 7 longer flights total and 46 hours. flying in/out of dallas twice during the ice storm when people were actually camped out in the airport for days. with a combo of status, being super flexible as 1 person, and being super flexible in that i kinda had a place to be but was taking the long way around on purpose and staff were ok bending rules for me, i ended up flying this route:

1454922_10101594190197169_1322186325_n.jpg

what i really needed to do: go from chicago to minneapolis by monday morning.

this was the 2nd year i qualified on AA for EXP, did it the most painful way (flight segments) and the 2nd year i did a mileage run i didn't actually end up needing to do in the end. you need 100 flights, i had 108 year 1 and 112 year 2. i also didn't even end up using a lot of the fancier AA benefits.

no just no, I would not lol

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I know in this thread I mentioned going to Turks last July. Friends of ours were renting a huge Airbnb and all we needed to pay for was airfare and spending money. Covid fucked that up and never happened. But starting to sound like its a full go this year. Depending how busy we are at work, the Wifey and I will do either 5 days or 8 days
So this didnt work out for the Wifey and I. I've been insanely busy at work to the point where I didnt feel comfortable leaving. Also we want to do a few projects around the house this fall/winter. Even though we only needed airfare and spending money. We would have dropped about $3k going. Our friends all left yesterday and have been sending me videos and shit today just rubbing it in...MFers lol

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I got stuck in Ireland for an extra day because of china virus testing. I knew I needed a china virus test within 3 days of my flight home to return to the USA. Thursday we saw a sign in Galway posted by the Irish government for free PCR tests with results sent within 48 hours. Great, we'll walk in and get them.

We walk in, legit government setup, take our ID's, get swabbed (seriously think the swab went so far in my nose it touched my brain). Get negative results sent to us on Saturday. Perfect, flight home is 1pm on Sunday.

Show up for check-in at airport at 10:30am today for our 1pm flight. Hand over our phones with the Ireland government test results. Nope, American Airlines doesn't accept the government test. Why? No one could give me a reason. Told we need to go pay for a rapid test. We run to test center, get rapids (for 50 Euro each), get results, back at check-in counter at 12 noon and they won't check us in. Said we won't have time to make the flight. I argued and argued but I couldn't win. Was at least 20 people from our flight experiencing the same thing and all missed.

They booked us tomorrow on the same flight, so had to get a hotel in Dublin for the night and spend another night. I'm not pissed about spending another night in Ireland, but the testing requirements are utter shit!!

Side note, we used our extra night here to have dinner at FX Buckley, a high end steakhouse in Dublin. Easily matched the best steaks I've had at home in the states. I had no idea the quality of Irish beef before coming here.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info