Food / Drink What's for Dinner? (Sous Vide Edition)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I sous vide'd some round steak for 20 hours at 140* and used it in a stir fry.

A tough cut gets fork tender when you do this. Pat it dry, give it seasoning and a quick sear at the end and then use it in all sorts of ways. Sous vide is great for taking tough cuts of meat and making them seem like much pricier cuts.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I had a British invasion theme for dinner with friends over today. Made some sous vide bottom round beef roast and Yorkshire Pudding. Made a British onion gravy and used the juice from the beef (with red wine and beef stock) as an au jus.

I cooked the beef roast at 132 for 21 hours. These directions come from Bearcarver on smokingmeatforums.com

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bears-step-by-step-index.159333/

This time and temp. was perfect. The beef was as tender as prime rib. You could cut it with a fork but it wasn't mushy.

This meat was a total success. $13 roast that tasted like a prime rib. Sous vide is awesome for stepping up the quality of lower cuts of meat with low/slow cooking.

My buddy said he's buying a sous vide cooker. Said the meal was expensive restaurant quality. He's a better cook than I am so the praise was flattering.

Amy doesn't like beef roast and even she said it was delicious. 21 hours at 132*. Double bag it since it's a long cook. After the sous vide, I browned it in a cast iron pan with oil and butter on the Weber with all burners on full.

FsYReMz.jpg

vI7iN6u.jpg

Reactions: Z28Camaro

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
Little late to the trend I guess but I did this for the first time over the weekend. For the last couple years on valentines day my girlfriend and I have cooked nicer meals at home. We both enjoy cooking so I ordered the equipment to try this. I have to say the steak came out as good or better than any that I have ever made. We did Ribeye steaks @125 for 2 hours. They were pretty thick so I wanted to make sure they came up to the right temp. Going forward I think I can cook them for a shorter period of time I just wasn't 100% confident on my first attempt.

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Good to hear the steaks came out OK. I believe the danger zone for the most resistant bacteria tops out around 126.1* so you may want to raise the temp. a bit, especially on longer cooks. I usually set the cooker to131 for medium rare.

I sous vide cooked a top sirloin roast over the weekend for 28 hours at 131* and my guests thought it was prime rib. Nice to get the prime rib texture for a cheap roast price. IMO, this is what sous vide does best.

If you want some tips, Guga on Sous Vide Everything (youtube) is fun to watch. Have fun with getting to know the sous vide style of cooking.!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Los Burritos Tapatios. Steak burrito a/sour cream. Chips and salsa. Find a better way to spend $10, I dare you?

View attachment 130147
They are so hit or miss pending location. Its not on the menu, but if you ask them they will make you a burrito suizo ranchero.
The one by me their homemade red suizo sauce is fire. They melt a piece of white cheese over the burrito then pour the suizo sauce over the top.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
They are so hit or miss pending location. Its not on the menu, but if you ask them they will make you a burrito suizo ranchero.
The one by me their homemade red suizo sauce is fire. They melt a piece of white cheese over the burrito then pour the suizo sauce over the top.
I’ve been coming to this location for about 3 years now regularly and have gone to others regularly over the last 15 years. I’ve never been disappointed with a burrito here.

Reactions: Shawn1112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info