What store reminds you of your childhood?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I remember when Chuck E. Cheese used to be Show Biz Pizza.

You guys remember Discovery Zone or Leaps and Bounds?

Bro, Leaps and Bounds was my jam. Way better than DZ as well.

Not a store but Haunted Trails always brings me back.

White Hen pantry donut smell when you walk in. I remember buying Snapple’s back in the day.

Kmart

Radio shack rip.

I loved Haunted Trails as a kid. We lived in Summit so we would go there once a month or so. The nickle arcade was awesome! The go cart track sucked. Limited the speed of them. We always shopped at the Omni right behind it. :rofl:

Besides the ones quoted, Ill also echo Service Merchandise, Venture, KMart, Funcoland, Toys R Us, KB.

We were big into Ford City mall for awhile too. Back when it wasnt as ghetto. It was also closer than Chicago Ridge.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Bro, Leaps and Bounds was my jam. Way better than DZ as well.

I loved Haunted Trails as a kid. We lived in Summit so we would go there once a month or so. The nickle arcade was awesome! The go cart track sucked. Limited the speed of them. We always shopped at the Omni right behind it. :rofl:

Besides the ones quoted, Ill also echo Service Merchandise, Venture, KMart, Funcoland, Toys R Us, KB.

We were big into Ford City mall for awhile too. Back when it wasnt as ghetto. It was also closer than Chicago Ridge.

No shit, I grew up right by resurrection Mary. They were the only go carts I rode so I didn’t know any better lmao. You just pretty much named that whole strip mall over there and I remember all of it lol. Last time I was over there, the pool hall and Chinese place were still there!

Now I want some el famous!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
No shit, I grew up right by resurrection Mary. They were the only go carts I rode so I didn’t know any better lmao. You just pretty much named that whole strip mall over there and I remember all of it lol. Last time I was over there, the pool hall and Chinese place were still there!

Now I want some el famous!

Since the cemetery was only what? 10 minutes away from where we were, Resurrection Mary stories were the big thing around Halloween. And it freaked me out. Every. Year.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Service merchandise. Nothing beats the feeling of buying an Atari game and waiting for that bitch to roll down that conveyor belt. The anticipation of that beautiful cardboard box appearing from the abyss that was the back storage room is one of my favorite childhood memories.

We never did games at Service Merchandise. The biggest thing I remember was my jeep power wheels coming down that conveyor.

Taking the game ticket and paying for the ticket, then taking that paid ticket to a closet to get your game at Toys R Us was the thing I remember. :rofl:

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I went to old chicago a few times, but it was kind of boring IIRC.

I also remember when a bag of mixed candy was basically penny's!!!!
I loved Swedish fish.
I also remember when ever we lost our baseball we all hit the streets looking for glass bottles.
They didn't have plastic yet, and a few bottles could buy a new rubber baseball, and candy for every one.
I also remember running up to Western Ave to test TV tubes at Woolworth.
They had a tester, and I loved plugging in the tubes looking for the bad one.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
We never did games at Service Merchandise. The biggest thing I remember was my jeep power wheels coming down that conveyor.

Taking the game ticket and paying for the ticket, then taking that paid ticket to a closet to get your game at Toys R Us was the thing I remember. :rofl:

There was a short period where they sold Atari games at the Joliet store probably around 1984-85.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Anyone remember the arcade on 111th I believe?? and about 50th ave??
It was in front of a big box store, that either closed or was already closed while it was open.

I'm pretty sure that was the the place I saw my 1st digital game??
pac man, space invaders, asteroids??? Can't remember, but none of us had ever seen anything digital before.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Definitely the old St Charles mall. Had the Kmart, and that tropical themed restaurant, and a candy kiosk in the middle that my mom would buy me chocolate covered peanuts whenever we went. When I got a little older I bought some of my first state of the art compact discs from the music store in there. Great future classic artists like, Kris Kross, and Snow. Such memories.

And also the arcade at Charlestowne mall. So much crusin USA.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Definitely the old St Charles mall. Had the Kmart, and that tropical themed restaurant, and a candy kiosk in the middle that my mom would buy me chocolate covered peanuts whenever we went. When I got a little older I bought some of my first state of the art compact discs from the music store in there. Great future classic artists like, Kris Kross, and Snow. Such memories.

And also the arcade at Charlestowne mall. So much crusin USA.

St. Charles mall is now a field. I remember shopping there too.

Charlestowne is a ghost town now. I remember when it was built. So it's sad seeing it so empty and vacant. They've been trying to re-purpose it for awhile now but nothing has gained traction. The closed off the route around the back of the mall now, so you can't cut over to Foxfield Dr. from Smith Rd.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info