What are you eating for Christmas?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm doing a big hunk of beef and either a ham or a turkey depending on what my kids decide they want (they'll end up eating brisket and the other meat will turn into leftovers).

I special ordered a brisket from Sam's Club. They offer "Choice" grade meat which is better than the usual "Select" you find most places.

It's sitting in my fridge "wet aging" now. Amy's not happy I'm taking an entire shelf for over a week. :smile:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make chicken vesuvio, mom and sister are taking care of the rest

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a big hunk of beef and either a ham or a turkey depending on what my kids decide they want (they'll end up eating brisket and the other meat will turn into leftovers).

I special ordered a brisket from Sam's Club. They offer "Choice" grade meat which is better than the usual "Select" you find most places.

It's sitting in my fridge "wet aging" now. Amy's not happy I'm taking an entire shelf for over a week. :smile:

im pretty sure "most" places around here are choice... i know all Jewel meat is at least choice.

$2.68 is a solid price per pound though for a choice brisket. i picked up a prime one from place in wisconsin for 2.99 a lb i think a few weeks back.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Jesus...I had no idea you could even get brisket that cheap. There's a "mom & pop" type butcher right by my house that I go to...and the prime brisket is usually around $6 a pound.

I'm smoking a pork shoulder on Christmas Eve...pretty excited.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Jesus...I had no idea you could even get brisket that cheap. There's a "mom & pop" type butcher right by my house that I go to...and the prime brisket is usually around $6 a pound.

I'm smoking a pork shoulder on Christmas Eve...pretty excited.
UW Provision - "The Meat People" - and so much more!

in the winter, they'll ship to you too. UPS ground as long as the weather that week looks cold, you're good :bigthumb:

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
Going to meijer today to buy bone in prime rib for 6.50 a pound. Then going to cut my own ribeyes

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Going to meijer today to buy bone in prime rib for 6.50 a pound. Then going to cut my own ribeyes
jewel is 5.99 fwiw.... or that may have ended yesterday.

i did that yesterday though.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
You guys are lucky with Chicago's meat availability.

Down here, it's harder to get good quality meats unless you order online and pay a mint.

A Prime brisket would have cost me $119 or more. Wagyu was around $200 plus shipping. I would have taken Prime if I could get it for $2.99 lb. That's a great price.

Prime has more marbling which contributes to a more flavorful and juicier brisket. I will inject beef broth to compensate.

Gotta pick up some Oak or Hickory wood since I just have fruit woods now. Beef can handle stronger smoke. I'm hoping to replicate the Aaron Franklin recipe with a few tweaks. His brisket is the best I have ever seen. The smoke ring is great. The rendering of the fat is perfect.

http://bbqblvd.com/bbq-brisket-recipe-aaron-franklins-texas-brisket/

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
It's around the holidays we miss my old man working at the slaughterhouse...

Meat that was mooing two days prior, at cost....

I believe it's going to be a ham at the parents house though if memory serves.

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
Christmas Eve I'll be crab legs, prawns or shrimp and probably scallops or a lobster tail. Sides to be determined.
Christmas day will be at my parents house so most likely turkey and/or ham with the standard holiday sides and mom usually tries to make something new and extravagant for my vegetarian/pescetarian wife. It's actually quite cool that my mom goes out of her way to make things for my wife just to make her smile.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
A big ol Italian roast, just picked it up today. Any of you guys shop here before? Been coming there for years, seriously some of the best meats you will have in your life.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
We celebrate X Mas Eve at my best friends parents house (Mexican)
So X Mas Eve its Tamales, posoli, home made gorditas, and other home made authentic Mexican dishes.
X Mas day we stay home and do a ham, turkey breast, twice baked potatoes, and broccoli/rice casserole.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, if you age these briskets 2-3 weeks in the cryopack, they taste better. I'm going about 9 days which puts the brisket just past the sell by date.

Couldn't tie up Amy's fridge for longer than that unless I wanted to hide all the knives. :smile:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
You guys are lucky with Chicago's meat availability.

Down here, it's harder to get good quality meats unless you order online and pay a mint.

A Prime brisket would have cost me $119 or more. Wagyu was around $200 plus shipping. I would have taken Prime if I could get it for $2.99 lb. That's a great price.
ah. i never even thought of that, but makes sense.

i went and checked last night to make sure that's what it was :rofl:

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
Had some prime rib, lobster tails, crab legs, stuffed clams, corn, baked potatoes, and some bread. This doesn't count desert. We had about 25 lobster tails for everybody and just as much crab legs. About 11 of us ate every last bit of it.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Reaction score
I had an egg bake in the AM with fruit and coffee cakes. In between a bunch of dips cocktail shrimp and beer. For dinner was beef tenderloin, ham sweet potatoes and green beans and after devoured my wife's cinnabun cheesecake with a glass of scotch.
Now I feel the full rath of my actions yesterday.WELL WORTH IT!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom