What are you eating for Christmas?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm doing a big hunk of beef and either a ham or a turkey depending on what my kids decide they want (they'll end up eating brisket and the other meat will turn into leftovers).

I special ordered a brisket from Sam's Club. They offer "Choice" grade meat which is better than the usual "Select" you find most places.

It's sitting in my fridge "wet aging" now. Amy's not happy I'm taking an entire shelf for over a week. :smile:

15584981_1835793070011127_7424828324772697518_o.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm doing a big hunk of beef and either a ham or a turkey depending on what my kids decide they want (they'll end up eating brisket and the other meat will turn into leftovers).

I special ordered a brisket from Sam's Club. They offer "Choice" grade meat which is better than the usual "Select" you find most places.

It's sitting in my fridge "wet aging" now. Amy's not happy I'm taking an entire shelf for over a week. :smile:

15584981_1835793070011127_7424828324772697518_o.jpg

im pretty sure "most" places around here are choice... i know all Jewel meat is at least choice.

$2.68 is a solid price per pound though for a choice brisket. i picked up a prime one from place in wisconsin for 2.99 a lb i think a few weeks back.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Jesus...I had no idea you could even get brisket that cheap. There's a "mom & pop" type butcher right by my house that I go to...and the prime brisket is usually around $6 a pound.

I'm smoking a pork shoulder on Christmas Eve...pretty excited.

UW Provision - "The Meat People" - and so much more!

in the winter, they'll ship to you too. UPS ground as long as the weather that week looks cold, you're good :bigthumb:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You guys are lucky with Chicago's meat availability.

Down here, it's harder to get good quality meats unless you order online and pay a mint.

A Prime brisket would have cost me $119 or more. Wagyu was around $200 plus shipping. I would have taken Prime if I could get it for $2.99 lb. That's a great price.

Prime has more marbling which contributes to a more flavorful and juicier brisket. I will inject beef broth to compensate.

Gotta pick up some Oak or Hickory wood since I just have fruit woods now. Beef can handle stronger smoke. I'm hoping to replicate the Aaron Franklin recipe with a few tweaks. His brisket is the best I have ever seen. The smoke ring is great. The rendering of the fat is perfect.

Franklins-brisket_825x420.jpg

http://bbqblvd.com/bbq-brisket-recipe-aaron-franklins-texas-brisket/

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Christmas Eve I'll be crab legs, prawns or shrimp and probably scallops or a lobster tail. Sides to be determined.
Christmas day will be at my parents house so most likely turkey and/or ham with the standard holiday sides and mom usually tries to make something new and extravagant for my vegetarian/pescetarian wife. It's actually quite cool that my mom goes out of her way to make things for my wife just to make her smile.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You guys are lucky with Chicago's meat availability.

Down here, it's harder to get good quality meats unless you order online and pay a mint.

A Prime brisket would have cost me $119 or more. Wagyu was around $200 plus shipping. I would have taken Prime if I could get it for $2.99 lb. That's a great price.

ah. i never even thought of that, but makes sense.

i went and checked last night to make sure that's what it was :rofl:

K12N082.jpg

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I had an egg bake in the AM with fruit and coffee cakes. In between a bunch of dips cocktail shrimp and beer. For dinner was beef tenderloin, ham sweet potatoes and green beans and after devoured my wife's cinnabun cheesecake with a glass of scotch.
Now I feel the full rath of my actions yesterday.WELL WORTH IT!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info