Weird Grinding/Vibrations When Turning from a Stop

Angus

Reaction score
My Mountaineer has had this issue where after it drives for a bit, when I come to a stop and then go in a turn from the stop, the whole car vibrates/shudders and it seems like something is grinding. After about 5-10 mph it then goes away... Sometimes it's just a few shudders though.

Car is awd and has 106k on it.

It's not engine related so I think it's something in either the T-case, F/R Diffs, or trans... Anyone have any experience with this or any idea where to start? TIA
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] might have some knowledge of this platform.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Reaction score
Could be U-joints or possibly the rearend is causing the shudder. my moms 02 F-150 had a similar issue and replacing the U-joints and having the rear end rebuilt (just the carrier) helped tremendously

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
The Xfer case in these things are Mechanical IIRC, so long is there is fluid in them, not much to fail (so check fluid levels/leaks).

All 4X4 RBV trucks are also known for eating wheel bearings, which can cause what you are describing. Try taking a 'sweeper' turn left, and then right under throttle to see if you get some moaning/grinding out of a culprit corner. Or just lift the nose and give everything a wiggle.

These things have IFS, so I don't think a U-joint would have anything to do with it turning from a stop, also U-joint issues usually surface under certian speeds, and make a 'clunk' or something if they are shot bad enough from a stop.

Granted Ujoints are cheap/easy.

On a side-note, all AWD RBV Explorer have a LSD rear end, so there is a special fluid they are supposed to have (wrong fluid can cause it to get chewed up quickly).

lji372

Reaction score
My Mountaineer has had this issue where after it drives for a bit, when I come to a stop and then go in a turn from the stop, the whole car vibrates/shudders and it seems like something is grinding. After about 5-10 mph it then goes away... Sometimes it's just a few shudders though.

Car is awd and has 106k on it.

It's not engine related so I think it's something in either the T-case, F/R Diffs, or trans... Anyone have any experience with this or any idea where to start? TIA

[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] might have some knowledge of this platform.
I have an 04 awd if you turned the wheel you had to gas it as if the brakes were engaged. Plates in the transfer weren't slipping, tried an additive that helped a smidge but not nearly enough. Replaced the transfer case and have been good as gold since.
I took it to my trans guy for the diagnoses

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom