• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Vortec 5.3 (LH6) Low Oil Pressure

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
These are front sump right? No clue on how hard pans are to remove but should be able to get it with the timing cover on and pan off if that’s easier. You can do it with the timing cover off and pan on but it’s sketchy. There’s also two different o rings and you just match the color that’s in there.

1663037906499.jpeg

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Quick update. Finally got the Dealership to agree that this is not normal. Thankfully I’ve got a few instances of this light on video, so there is none of that “Technician could not replicate” nonsense.

I’ve got an appointment to drop the Saab off later this week for it to be further diagnosed. Will post another update once I hear back.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Quick update. Finally got the Dealership to agree that this is not normal. Thankfully I’ve got a few instances of this light on video, so there is none of that “Technician could not replicate” nonsense.

I’ve got an appointment to drop the Saab off later this week for it to be further diagnosed. Will post another update once I hear back.
How Bout ya catch a oil sample right now and send it in. Make sure nothings coming apart

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Just got a call from the shop. Screen under the sensor was clean. They are leaning towards the pickup tube o-ring or the oil pump itself. They are working with the warranty company now on getting the claim approved.

I’ve got my fingers crossed that this warranty claim is accepted, otherwise I’ll be tearing this apart myself.

All the suggestions so far were spot on! Thanks again for the help and I’ll keep you updated as this saga progresses. I’ll be less annoyed with this situation if my new old car is fully covered under the warranty.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
What's their proof though that it's an issue?
I’m actually not 100% on the final conversation between the shop and the warranty company. They checked the sender, the screen near the sender, and the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. I do know they also ended up sending my startup videos to help support this diagnosis.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Outlaw Outlaw didn't you fix this by running ATF through your 355k 5.3?

Late to the party but yes.

-Run engine until warm.
-Drain oil, LEAVE filter.
-Replace oil with ATF.
-Let idle for one hour.
-Go drive 5-10 miles, keeping RPM under 2,000.
-Arrive home, IMMEDIATELY drop the plug.
-Replace oil and filter.
-Enjoy.

I short change the next oil change at 1000 miles as well.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Glad to see the warranty company took care of it. Oil pump probably helped but my guess if it was more prevalent cold and built pressure as it warmed up is o-ring, which, most likely got replaced.

The ATF trick swells the o-ring supposedly, so it helps with that as well. I did it almost a year ago. Truck would make 4-5#’s cold, I had to idle it for 15-20 min until it warmed up before the light went away. Now it makes 40 on cold startup even still, and it sits for weeks at a time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info