• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Vortec 5.3 (LH6) Low Oil Pressure

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
So my 2006 Saab 9-7X with the 5.3 LH6 just started giving the “Oil Pressure Low” light for a few seconds upon start up. Once the engine is running, the oil pressure seems to stay in a healthy range.

The car is still under a 3 Month/3K Mile warranty from the dealership I bought it from. I already had in there once and they replaced the oil pressure sender after saying the oil pressure was reading good. The light is still coming on at startup right now even after the sender replacement.

I reached back out to the dealership and they are now trying to tell me that this is normal for a 5.3 with higher miles (180k). I’m not buying this, as it was not happening when I first bought it a couple months back. So I’ve continued to escalate it while still under warranty.

Thoughts? Should I be worried about this?

I’m also curious if anyone else has had a similar issue with a 5.3.

Video of dash at startup is below.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Just see what filter is on it first could be a shit filter with too much restriction, my aluminum block 5.3 burned oil like a mother fucker and had less than 100k miles, I went to Michigan once and the lifters started clattering it was so low, I put 3 quarts in and it still wasn’t on the stick, I had a tuner tune turn off the dod and I did a top end clean and it went down to a couple quarts per oil change

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Just see what filter is on it first could be a shit filter with too much restriction, my aluminum block 5.3 burned oil like a mother fucker and had less than 100k miles, I went to Michigan once and the lifters started clattering it was so low, I put 3 quarts in and it still wasn’t on the stick, I had a tuner tune turn off the dod and I did a top end clean and it went down to a couple quarts per oil change
A couple of quarts between oil changes?

I must have a unicorn 5.3 (LY5). Mine doesn’t even go a quart low over the course of 5,000 miles, and the DoD/AFM is enabled and I use it as much as possible. Just rolled 190,000 on it.

Reactions: sktchy

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
A couple of quarts between oil changes?

I must have a unicorn 5.3 (LY5). Mine doesn’t even go a quart low over the course of 5,000 miles, and the DoD/AFM is enabled and I use it as much as possible. Just rolled 190,000 on it.
Most of the aluminum block 5.3’s burn a shit load of oil

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Thanks for all the ideas so far!

I ended up topping off the oil about a half quart or so to get back to full. The light did not come on afterwards, but it was also a little warmer this afternoon than it has been in the mornings. I’ll report back once I start it up again in the morning.

I’m going to be super happy if this light was just the result of being a little down on oil.

I honestly didn’t realize the higher mileage 5.3’s were so thirsty for oil. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on the oil level in between changes.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Warming that bitch up a lot are ya. Or filling up at half a tank.
My truck averages about 13-14mpg in the winter with city driving, mostly due to traffic not knowing how to maintain a constant speed. I'll use the remote start, but it is a factory installed one, so max run time is 7 minutes, and can only do it twice before you need to cycle the ignition. At idle it is only burning like 0.4/gph. I'll usually fill up about 1/4 tank (18-20 gals burned), and have only covered about 250-280 miles.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My truck averages about 13-14mpg in the winter with city driving, mostly due to traffic not knowing how to maintain a constant speed. I'll use the remote start, but it is a factory installed one, so max run time is 7 minutes, and can only do it twice before you need to cycle the ignition. At idle it is only burning like 0.4/gph. I'll usually fill up about 1/4 tank (18-20 gals burned), and have only covered about 250-280 miles.
No different than any 5.3 I’ve owned. Summer I could squeak out like 16mpg around town. I’d get just over 20 on pure highway.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
If you added oil and the light shut off it makes me think that it's more likely the pickup tube o ring. The added weight of more oil essentially helping to push it up the tube. Just a thought though.
Light still came on this morning. I checked the oil level again and it looked like she is still thirsty for more. I’m going to top off a little bit more and try again in the morning.

Without doing a search, how annoying would replacing the o-ring be? Pretty straight forward once the oil pan comes off?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info