Vintage cars, restomods and how to execute correctly (and poorly) THANKS BOOMERS

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Man I must be a boomer based on some of the comments here.

I think old cars (any old cars) are cool, regardless of it's a I6 and 4 wheel drum. These cars are sought after for their styling and in other cases the nostalgia. I'm a nut for history too so that does play into my personal viewpoints. If those cars didn't exist we wouldn't have 400+hp cars getting 20-25mpg today.

I'm doing a restomod but I'm doing it only for the styling and not really the nostalgia. I personally think (and I know a lot of you will disagree here) that the majority of older cars look 1000x's better than some of the plastic junk rolling around on the streets today. Let me take a minute to expand upon that. My 3rd gen nova was classified as a compact, economy/budget car. Take how that looks and compare it to any cars made in the last few years in the same category. To me that nova is a lot sexier, granted a camry would have blown it's doors off in every aspect. That's why a restomod fixes the technology gap of a 50 year old car and looks a whole hell of lot better.

Granted there are some sexy sports cars out there now and I do like a good number of them. But if I am going to drop 50k+ on a car it better tick every fricken box of what I want. Otherwise I'll do what I am doing now and build my own for less.

I must say, I LOVE A properly done restomod... Just most aren't is my point.

Also. I swing from period correct shit hard. May even stab Mook Mook in the eye for a legit LS6 Chevelle... Even tho only like x amount were made but somehow 23X exist.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I don’t recall where I read/heard this, but in the 80s they were a 1G handling car (Crazy) and so firm that they had to dial it back.

I'm surprised more RoAd CoUrSe WaRrIoRs don't go for C4s over miatas, s2000s etc. They're dirt cheap, make enough power, cheap parts and are cheap af to buy

Reactions: Rent Free

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I think the 1st gen camaro might be one of the best looking cars ever made.

Ever

1969-chevrolet-camaro-rs-ss-tribute
Gen 1 firebird.

Reactions: frank and Aircal

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
well.I should prob stay out of this thread...I remain Neutral
Its badass to bang gears in a Muscle Car 60/70's car...SBC/BBC/Big Cam/Old School/Gas smell/Big Gear

Until you have driven one,you wont understand...its a driving feeling you will never forget.Ask your Dad

Modern Tech blows all away,it is what it is....just saying..Welcome to 2021

If ya' get a chance....drive an Old School 4-Speed Car once

cheers guys,hope to meet you at GLD Event.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Because I am old balls I have owned several now classic cars. Resto mods are really cool but good examples are usually high dollar builds done by a shop. What Really impresses me now at car shows are completely original classics. Like down to the battery. I can remember helping some of my buddies hack up their first gen camaros and chevelles to make them lighter to run an 11 sec 1/4 mile LOL. Some classic cars shouldn’t be modified but preserved as museum pieces.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Because I am old balls I have owned several now classic cars. Resto mods are really cool but good examples are usually high dollar builds done by a shop. What Really impresses me now at car shows are completely original classics. Like down to the battery. I can remember helping some of my buddies hack up their first gen camaros and chevelles to make them lighter to run an 11 sec 1/4 mile LOL. Some classic cars shouldn’t be modified but preserved as museum pieces.

leave that for the real numbers matching survivors. The world doesn’t need eleventy billion Chevelle SS clones

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Most anyone can go buy the latest hot car from a dealership. And for a few weeks or months it will get a lot of looks. But, 40.5 years after it was built when I pull up to a busy intersection I can guarantee just about every cell phone is snapping a photo of this old slow car......:)

20200714_203443.jpg

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
Since I started driving, I've almost always had something 'old'. The 80's cars is what I grew up with. The car I miss the most and want back (or finding another) is my '87 Trans Am (NOT a GTA). It's somewhere in Portage and attempts to contact the owner have been met with negative results. While I'm sure this isn't totally considered resto-modding, for me it went like this. I helped a buddy move after he sold his house. He had sunk a lot of money into his '87 factory carbed Trans Am. It had sat in his garage, unmoved, for almost 2 years by this time. I knew it was a rough car to daily drive due to the cam and other nonsense, but for some reason I wanted it. We struck a deal, mostly because he didn't want to be bothered with taking it with him. Walking through a junk yard with a buddy who was picking up a truck bed soon after, we came across a wrecked LT1 C4 Corvette with under 15k on it. After thinking how cool it would be to have that power and reliability (this was maybe 1996), my buddy talked me into it and I bought it. It fit surprisingly well despite some early forums saying the accessories would never work. A then-newer Painless harness made everything stupid-easy to wire. I was actually shocked at how easily it came together. It fired a few hours after rough wiring it. The first drive had me hooked. I turned the key and off I went. No struggled idling or finicky starts till it was ready. A 4th gen rear and 6 speed along with updated suspension made the car completely different to drive. I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. I did a couple of Power Tours with it I should've never sold that car.

A few of the cars I owned over the years, were all original that may or may not have been considered collector cars that came and went before and after that. The car in my avatar is a 10th Anniversary car that was given to me along with an '80 special edition turbo Trans Am. The owner was getting threatening letters from the city and had to unload them fast. While I wanted to get the turbo going, the TATA needed much less work. It was an all original 60k mile car aside from a tune up sometime in the past. Not my first choice of 'muscle' cars, but the price was right. It took a few years, but it came together very nicely. The 403 was done by a now gone local shop using Mondello (Olds guru) parts and specs for street car. Cliff Ruggles redid the carb and Trans Pro (Lansing) did the trans. It was dyno tuned by a shop in Mokena that's also way gone. The car ran fantastic for what it was. Being a 10th, I knew I shouldn't alter it much as this is where most of the value came in. I liked the car, but didn't love it. It was always just ok in performance, handling and barely ok in braking. I know these tears were rough, but it was 'muscle' for that era.

Along came my current '71 that wasn't all original and was actually somewhat updated suspension wise. The 400 engine had one of the first Holley fuel injection units that was controlled by a bunch of dials. It ran ok and always started settling on a nice slightly lopey idle. Once again, a wrecked '11 Vette motor came my way and decided to try it again. That's where I am now + a bunch of other mods. It, too, is worlds better than the old Holley setup. The braking is hugely improved as is the handling. Granted this one keeps fighting every step of the way.

Where the old cars win every time is the sound. There is no way to get that throaty rumble any more with anything considered modern. Everything else, I'll take modern all day long. I'm now used to it and have come to expect it. I don't drink or smoke and playing around with these old cars is what me, a working dad, considers relaxing. My '17 SS is better performing in every way possible, but sometimes I need to be in that '71.

I don't know who said it, but truer words have never been spoken-the problem with old cars is that they are old. Do whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: DEEZUZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info