Vintage cars, restomods and how to execute correctly (and poorly) THANKS BOOMERS

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
was out driving and noticed a few boomers driving their 50’s-60’s muscle cars and C4 vette’s Lol, what’s going to happen to these cars? Are the next generations going to want them? I mean they look nice but anything newer then 00’ is a better buy all around.

would you keep the classic car hobby going and pay 50-100k for a fully restored 10/10 gto say with drum brakes all around and less hp then a most cars in the road today?

Thoughts?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
was out driving and noticed a few boomers driving their 50’s-60’s muscle cars and C4 vette’s Lol, what’s going to happen to these cars? Are the next generations going to want them? I mean they look nice but anything newer then 00’ is a better buy all around.

would you keep the classic car hobby going and pay 50-100k for a fully restored 10/10 gto say with drum brakes all around and less hp then a most cars in the road today?

Thoughts?
I loved muscle cars growing up, LOVED Them, but not in a million years could I imagine paying $50k+ for a car that would lose a race to most stock pickup trucks made today. Even at $30k i'd be thinking "mehhhhhh I'd rather just take that cash and put it down on a $50k zl1"

Reactions: frank and radioguy6

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I loved muscle cars growing up, LOVED Them, but not in a million years could I imagine paying $50k+ for a car that would lose a race to most stock pickup trucks made today. Even at $30k i'd be thinking "mehhhhhh I'd rather just take that cash and put it down on a $50k zl1"
here's the difference.

the 50k+ slower than a pickup truck car could and likely will appreciate.

the ZL1 will not.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Its a different mindset. They are cool cars and should be appreciated for what they are. Technology will always advance and make cars faster and handle better. There will always be a market for classic muscle cars. Look whats happening with cars that we grew up with. The GN/GNX and foxbody mustang is a good example.

Reactions: v6buicks

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It seems so easy on paper :rofl:

rule number one should be never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER put bowties in your headrests.

there's a 99% chance the upholstery shop will have the ratio wrong and it will look like this:

1599849830263.png

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, here's my recipe...

Find late 60's Nova...I6 car, whatever just as long as it's rust free and straight....replace all body mounts, completely throw away stock suspension, Mustang II IFS, 3-link and coil-overs or similar in the rear, LQ4 and 4L60 (for cruising) or T56 (for fun) with a Holley or similar FI kit. Digital dash. Obviously discs all around, so new master cylinder. Just ditch the old pedal box for a modern one with drive-by-wire. Grab some seats out of something from this century and a half cage.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I mean, here's my recipe...

Find late 60's Nova...I6 car, whatever just as long as it's rust free and straight....replace all body mounts, completely throw away stock suspension, Mustang II IFS, 3-link and coil-overs or similar in the rear, LQ4 and 4L60 (for cruising) or T56 (for fun) with a Holley or similar FI kit. Digital dash. Obviously discs all around, so new master cylinder. Just ditch the old pedal box for a modern one with drive-by-wire. Grab some seats out of something from this century and a half cage.

parts lists are easy. execution and finishing touches/attention to detail isn't. chuknowimsayin

imma break this talk out of this thread actually unless someone opposes.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
parts lists are easy. execution and finishing touches/attention to detail isn't. chuknowimsayin

imma break this talk out of this thread actually unless someone opposes.

Agreed, why I was trying to make my plan as simple as possible. Off the shelf shit, nothing really custom or earth shattering. Is it a matter of people biting off more than they can chew?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
welpp that didn't take long.

what the fuck is this paint job

1599850703834.png

did you just hole saw a 6 & a half shit alpine speaker

1599850840445.png

• Haha
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Truth

still wouldn't spend big money on something that is only fun to look at, not drive

Different experience. If one wants to go fast, get on a bike.

Driving around in my old 94 Lightning I am amazed at how much attention - honks, waves, thumbs up, offers to buy at stoplights - that thing gets. That is something the old muscle cars bring more than anything.

Any classic car owner who's stock would be the first to tell you a sassy Jeep could probably outrun me if it wanted to nowadays, but nobody is gonna notice the new car. The slower you go, the more attention you get in the classic.

Reactions: Aircal
Different experience. If one wants to go fast, get on a bike.

Driving around in my old 94 Lightning I am amazed at how much attention - honks, waves, thumbs up, offers to buy at stoplights - that thing gets. That is something the old muscle cars bring more than anything.

Any classic car owner who's stock would be the first to tell you a sassy Jeep could probably outrun me if it wanted to nowadays, but nobody is gonna notice the new car. The slower you go, the more attention you get in the classic.

So for those who are just looking for attention, old muscle cars are perfect.
Just as bad as the Harley revvers at the stop lights.

hey....look at me I’m cool. I didn’t buy this for me, I bought it for others to covet me.

Reactions: zenriddles

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've been thinking about restomodding the TTA, simply because I can't believe how much I forgot carb 101 and having to set timing/dwell and all that fun stuff I grew up learning. We've come so far...

Find a complete LSA engine/driveline/PCM & harness online somewhere, drop in, call it a day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info