Video game car crashes: The next big leap

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh man I can't wait. I'm sure it's pretty far off but this is awesome.

Oh, at 1:35 :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5jUfe5jKk8

This is how good car crashing in video games is about to become

It is evident even with the most realistic car games that crashes have mainly been left off of the realism menu. Sure, hit a wall or another car and there will be some damage and crumpling, but it usually doesn't look like a genuine car crash. A start-up company called BeamNG is working to change that, developing a physics modification for the Cry Engine 3 to create wrecks that appear to be lifted from a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration crash-test video.

They team has been at it for a while, and the latest multicore version shows off one- and two-car collisions that feature shattering glass and more realistic deformations. They're still at work on it and have promised more improvements, but the video below shows off just how real things are about to get in the world of video games. Well, once a game maker decides to use the Cry Engine 3 for a driving game, that is...

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
the original demo was awesome....this is already a huge step up. god damn. s00ls is gonna have a field day wrecking cars in future forzas.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
If someone doesnt make a new Destruction Derby game on a next gen console w/ this engine, I'm gonna start a kickstarter and do it myself :rofl: I still have the original destruction derby that launched w/ the first playstation

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh man I remember that. The big bowl derby was badass. I played that over and over.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
That game is pretty much what sold me on the playstation. I remember looking at previews of the game in magazines and seeing the "next gen" graphics and reading about the "realistic crash physics" :rofl: and thinking, i must have this.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
playstation? i dunno about cry1 but i know crysis 2 can't fully render on any console.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless consoles really step it up it sounds like this will be PC only for now.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I recalled posting about BeamNG, but didn't think it was that long ago 🤣

Anyway, two things. One, this looks pretty cool years later but might only have lasting power as a multiplayer. Only so many times you can drive high-speed into a tree by yourself. Anyone play? Also, doesn't look like it will come to console anytime soon.

Secondly, [MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION], Wreckfest looks to be the closest thing to Destruction Derby. Out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Man, some of the wrecks in that first vid were just brutal. And I am probably going to have to get wreckfest when it hits xbox. I love how by like the 3rd lap theres just tires EVERYWHERE :rofl:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wreckfest looks amazing!

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Love how the smoke was coming out of the super car that was on the trailer lmao

bmoore04

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't elect to jump that ramp at :44 should give up playing video games.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
I was about to say im pretty sure theres some sick pc games out there with good crash physics lol

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Looks like fun.

I want to put a grill like that on my car.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wreckfest looks great. It’s like a spiritual successor to the underrated PS2 masterpiece Test Drive: Eve of Destruction

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Can't believe this thread is from 2012 :rofl:

It was the only mention of Wreckfest I could find :rofl: $40 pre-order sounds good, though I wish it were XBX enhanced.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
:fy: Forgive my ignorance though, but can you just buy this and DL it or do you have to buy the CD or DVD or whatever it is called?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom