Video game car crashes: The next big leap

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Oh man I can't wait. I'm sure it's pretty far off but this is awesome.

Oh, at 1:35 :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5jUfe5jKk8

This is how good car crashing in video games is about to become

It is evident even with the most realistic car games that crashes have mainly been left off of the realism menu. Sure, hit a wall or another car and there will be some damage and crumpling, but it usually doesn't look like a genuine car crash. A start-up company called BeamNG is working to change that, developing a physics modification for the Cry Engine 3 to create wrecks that appear to be lifted from a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration crash-test video.

They team has been at it for a while, and the latest multicore version shows off one- and two-car collisions that feature shattering glass and more realistic deformations. They're still at work on it and have promised more improvements, but the video below shows off just how real things are about to get in the world of video games. Well, once a game maker decides to use the Cry Engine 3 for a driving game, that is...

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I recalled posting about BeamNG, but didn't think it was that long ago ?

Anyway, two things. One, this looks pretty cool years later but might only have lasting power as a multiplayer. Only so many times you can drive high-speed into a tree by yourself. Anyone play? Also, doesn't look like it will come to console anytime soon.

Secondly, [MENTION=7]IDAFC21[/MENTION], Wreckfest looks to be the closest thing to Destruction Derby. Out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info