Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Who would have thought! Time for 100 month incentives!

New York (CNN Business)Major automakers reported a more than 30% drop in US sales in the second quarter, the biggest plunge in sales since the Great Recession and the auto bankruptcies of 2009.

Several of the top automakers reported quarterly sales Wednesday, and the weeks of pandemic-forced dealership closures hit them hard.

Sales were also hurt by record job losses limiting spending money, as well as mass work-from-home policies that temporarily put commutes on hold. Further, the closing of auto plants for much of the quarter limited the supply of new vehicles at the dealerships that were open, with popular vehicle models particularly hard to find.
General Motors, the largest US automaker, saw a 34% sales drop. Last week GM announced it will cut 700 jobs at a Tennessee plant later this summer because of the drop in demand for the SUVs built there. Still, GM (GM) said sales fell most sharply in April and showed signs of recovery in May and June.

"GM entered the quarter with very lean inventories and our dealers did a great job meeting customer demand, especially for pickups," said Kurt McNeil, GM's vice president of sales. "Now, we are refilling the pipeline by quickly and safely returning production to pre-pandemic levels."

Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) reported a 39% decline in revenue, pointing to the drop in rental fleet sales. Rental car companies typically buy about 10% or more of US car sales in the course of a normal year.

But with the huge slowdown in travel, car rental companies have virtually halted their purchases. Meanwhile, Hertz (HTZ) filed for bankruptcy. And all the car rental companies are selling cars from their existing fleets, creating more competition for.

Toyota (TM) also reported a 35% drop in second quarter US sales, although it saw an improvement as the quarter progressed. June sales were off 22%, the company said.

Despite the signs of improvement later in the quarter, it's unlikely there will be a rapid increase in sales throughout the summer, said Jonathan Smoke, chief economist for Cox Automotive. Cox is forecasting a 35% drop in total US sales for the second quarter once all the automakers report and the data are in.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
My favorite comments....

"What muscle? Every Tesla is faster than these relics from the '60's."

"The great thing about GM’s bankruptcy is that they had an IPO the same year as Tesla. Tesla is actually an older company than GM, technically. GM’s IPO price was $33, Tesla was $17. 10 years later, GM is at $25 and Tesla is at $1,200.

Tesla is building factories, GM is closing them. Tesla was rapidly advancing their tech while GM was developing an Omega platform with a Blackwing engine that they had to throw in the garbage because they didn’t read the tea leaves. Do you wonder how negative the ROI was on that investment?

GM wasted billions trying to out German the Germans and failed. Tesla is starting to dominate the luxury car market by forging a new path.

The Camaro is a relic. The modern Muscle Car is a M3P. But, unlike the Camaro, it is safer with AWD, seats four comfortably, has a useful trunk and, get this, you can actually see out of it.

Carrol Shelby, were he still around, would, no doubt, love the M3P...because it Goes Like H*ll."

• Love
Reactions: Stink Star

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Sub 50k out here in DC. Fly out here Ill pick you up and drop you off at dealer LOL:)

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Rent Free

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Well, either way, I'm not really ready to pull the trigger. The only plus is the Mustang is paid off, and would likely take care of 50% of the down payment. So I'd really only be financing about $25k. I just can't justify the expense at this point. It would really only be to make it easier to cart around the family, and my youngest is 7 months old...not a good candidate for sudden acceleration. And to top it off, my wife doesn't really care for it either.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Well, either way, I'm not really ready to pull the trigger. The only plus is the Mustang is paid off, and would likely take care of 50% of the down payment. So I'd really only be financing about $25k. I just can't justify the expense at this point. It would really only be to make it easier to cart around the family, and my youngest is 7 months old...not a good candidate for sudden acceleration. And to top it off, my wife doesn't really care for it either.

Used for a daily with the family? Im finally in a position to not need my mustang as a daily. If i had it my way it would be gutted from drivers seats back too :LOL::ROFLMAO:. Its def not meant to tote kids.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info