🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't really think that's necessary on aluminum. It gets so damn hot after only a few seconds of welding.
Preheating it will not only help work out the impurities, but it will allow the temp to rise gradually versus being shocked with the torch. You also get the advantage of the whole part expanding at the same rate. This prevents cracking. It's always weird for me to think about this with aluminum because it's already such a heat sink by nature, but certain castings can change everything. I went down this rabbit hole when I converted my FWD manifold for RWD. I actually didn't even do the welding myself, so I'm just relaying what I was told. I handed it off to my work buddy who does this stuff pretty regularly. He still struggled like hell to weld it without leaks. Long story short: these manifold castings can be kind of a bitch. lol

Is the pipe counter sunk at all or is it just butting against the manifold? I think sinking it would make welding a lot easier too, but it would be a lot of work at this point.
Rough cut 1.jpg

Smoothed and hogged out 1.jpg

Flipped 1.jpg

Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I really don't think I'm any better, the welding area is just cleaned much better now. I'm removing material with the die grinder now versus just touching it with a wire brush last time.
Using a stainless brush that's used ONLY for cleaning aluminum is a good thing too. I've accidentally used my "everything else" welding brush on aluminum before and it's wild how much of a difference it made for the worse. If there's one thing I learned in welding school, it's that welding is pretty easy. It's prep and set-up that get you!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Reactions: GTPpower

Thread Info