Upcoming Tesla Road Trip... What would you like to know About?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
tesla does have a thing on their site to estimate trips- which i dont know if you mentioned or not [MENTION=11218]lastls1[/MENTION]

https://www.tesla.com/trips

For my trip to my in-laws... it says I'd need to stop 4 times, charge 5 minutes first stop, then 20 minutes 2nd stop, then 40 minutes the 3rd, then 35 minutes the final time at superchargers on their route.

Making the trip I make frequently in 7 and a half to 8 hours, take 10 hours minimum... also says their calculator (of course) doesn't take into effect weather, climate control, driving style... so I'd be willing to wager that when it's 20* outside range would suffer significantly and I'd have to charge more.

The added two to two and a half hours of course doesn't sound significant but that makes leaving the chicago area at 2-3pm, change from arriving around 11pm/12am into 2 if not 3 am. which would suck.

I 100% have no doubt that electric cars are the way of the future, but way too many shortcomings for me personally to see a fully electric vehicle as close to worth the premium they command.

Routing, charge times and mileage assumes a 100D / Long Range battery and that trips begin with a full charge. Assumptions are also made for factors like weather, climate control and driving style. Real world results may vary.

Estimated gas savings assumes Supercharging cost of $0.26 per kilowatt hour. Gasoline cost assumes 21 MPG at $2.73 per gallon. Local costs and real world results may vary.

This is also a touch silly to me, nearly any modern sedan will better 21 mpg... fuck... modern crew cab pickup trucks get that from ford/gm or dodedge.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
the rate declines earlier than that, which is another reason why spending the money on buying a big battery helps ease the pain of charge times. you not only pay for less charge stops, but faster ones at that.

J1GoBSn.gif

It’s minimal though unless you are going for a long range type of charge. Normally I was around 60-70 percent when it told me to continue my trip.

I agree the 100d is the better car, but I simply couldn’t justify spending the extra dough when I rarely take road trips.

This will be my longest road trip ever..... not just in the Tesla in my entire life. Normally we fly everywhere. So based on that fact near 100k base price was not worth it for me.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
tesla does have a thing on their site to estimate trips- which i dont know if you mentioned or not [MENTION=11218]lastls1[/MENTION]

https://www.tesla.com/trips

For my trip to my in-laws... it says I'd need to stop 4 times, charge 5 minutes first stop, then 20 minutes 2nd stop, then 40 minutes the 3rd, then 35 minutes the final time at superchargers on their route.

Making the trip I make frequently in 7 and a half to 8 hours, take 10 hours minimum... also says their calculator (of course) doesn't take into effect weather, climate control, driving style... so I'd be willing to wager that when it's 20* outside rage would suffer significantly and I'd have to charge more.

The added two to two and a half hours of course doesn't sound significant but that makes leaving the chicago area at 2-3pm, change from arriving around 11pm/12am into 2 if not 3 am. which would suck.

I 100% have no doubt that electric cars are the way of the future, but way too many shortcomings for me personally to see a fully electric vehicle as close to worth the premium they command.

This is also a touch silly to me, nearly any modern sedan will better 21 mpg... fuck... modern crew cab pickup trucks get that from ford/gm or dodedge.

Use abetterrouteplanner.com if you want real world type numbers.

That Tesla planner online is junk. It’s way off from what even my in car nav states. The Tesla online planner they have wants you to stop a lot more and for longer periods as well. It’s very inaccurate. Idk why they still have it up or why they haven’t updated it.

Like you said it has no options to add weather or speed or anything so I believe it’s factoring in the worst case scenario right off the bat

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Use abetterrouteplanner.com if you want real world type numbers.

That Tesla planner online is junk. It’s way off from what even my in car nav states. The Tesla online planner they have wants you to stop a lot more and for longer periods as well. It’s very inaccurate. Idk why they still have it up or why they haven’t updated it.

Like you said it has no options to add weather or speed or anything so I believe it’s factoring in the worst case scenario right off the bat

Abbetterrouteplanner has me at five stops, total trip taking eleven hours.... so worse than the tesla planner.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Did you adjust all the settings? I’m pretty sure it defaults to a model S 60kw battery, 68 degrees out etc etc. check to make sure you adjust everything to how you want it

View attachment 36227

I used the wrong car, you're right. Had Model X plugged in. but 68*

now i have model s 75 like yours, 25* outside, dry roads... 10 hrs 50 minutes.

JtCcy1r.png

YRPXd1k.png

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yup. As a matter of fact it’s doing just that at work right now as we speak. Usually get about 40 free miles of driving everyday from the office. (Pic below)

I wouldn’t recommend this though unless it’s an emergency. Tesla also provides you with an adapter for a 14-50 outlet and an adapter to use ChargePoint chargers etc.

You can also charge at camp grounds if you are really in a bind. Again, you would have to have totally ignored all warnings for a while to get stuck in this situation.

View attachment 36225

We test charged my brothers S on an 8-10 amp outlet at the old vacation home we rented last summer. It was as if nothing was happening.... The car didn't really like it either. So yeah, Emergency only.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I used the wrong car, you're right. Had Model X plugged in. but 68*

now i have model s 75 like yours, 25* outside, dry roads... 10 hrs 50 minutes.

JtCcy1r.png

YRPXd1k.png

Once I get back to my desk let me input some of my numbers for that trip. Like for instance you have a max speed of 93 mph.... so the trip planner will assume 93 mph on the highway which will murder range. If you drive that fast that’s great but I don’t lol esp out of state

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I mean... you also changed how long it will take you to hook up to a charger, also changed degradation, also changed starting charge... :rofl:

Correct. My car is brand new. It does not have 5% degradation. Also 5 minutes to hook up a charger? lol. You pull into a parking space click a button to open my charger port and plug it in.

Idk what people would be doing for 5 minutes to hook up a cord to a car.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yea 8-10 amps isn’t going to cut it. I get about 4 miles per hour at 12 amps on your basic 15 amp house circuit.

Yeah, the Volt actually struggled with it too. Obviously we don't know how good the wiring was at that joint so there very well could have been actual issues. Thankfully he didn't need to charge it was just an experiment.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Check out the Bolingbrook supercharger in the mejier parking lot on a Saturday morning around 8-10 am. It will be full.

Not by travelers just locals. I have a feeling that’s why they are putting another one in Joliet as well. The Bolingbrook one needs to be a 12 stall charger not just an 8

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
for zoomer to shrug off those times as not existing or noticeable is silly.

where i can see less volts/phev hybrids and more full evs is also a scenario where people own multiple cars, ie. electric for chooching around and gassers for going on long trips.

i agree with this. or when more superchargers are around/available which will happen soon enough im betting. but they need to build more superchargers quicker than they sell the cars otherwise they'll just be chasing their tail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info