🔧 BUILD Turbo 3800 T56 Swapped G-body Grand Prix w/ Holley EFI

General Information

So after joining a long time ago, I thought I'd reenter with a build thread!

The car is my 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham.

Index for people who hate long threads like me:
First time running:

Finally fixed the 4000rpm breakup

T5 Carnage/4l60e swap

Power tour 2018 Mad rush to get done:

Rear Disc brakes swap/axle shenanigans

Power Tour 2019 Prep:

Glamor shots before power tour 19:

2020 quick trip

L67 short block swap and PNP:

2021 Power Tour Prep and T56 Swap:

New Wheels Before Power Tour 2021!

Late 2021 Season Refresh: Bigger Turbo, Ford 9", 1.9 rockers and little fixes:

2022 Updates: Cam swap, next engine, twin disc Monster clutch, Holley Terminator X conversion:

1688879639988.png

THIqdP5.jpg

It originally had a Buick 4.1 liter V6 from the factory with a 350 transmission behind it. Back in high school we thought it'd be a good idea to swap an L27 into it since we had it lying around and thought it'd be cheap quick. Anything was better than the knocking 4.1 with only 130hp though. We ended up using a 700r4 as the transmission, but the transmission never played nicely despite our best efforts to fix it. The engine was shoehorned under the hood too so I gave up on it and it has been just sitting around until now. It was a silly idea and I'm glad to be getting rid of it.

mDLVV10.jpg

9TlaxWT.jpg

Now I finally have plans for the car. I acquired a donor car for the whole drivetrain and am getting ready to go to town.

The donor car is 1998 Camaro with an L36 3800 and a world class Tremec T5 transmission. The car has only 112,000 miles on it and it was totaled in a front end collision. The plan is to pull everything out of the Camaro and retrofit basically everything I can into the Grand Prix. Electronically and as far as the engine and transmission go, it will be a 1998 Camaro. It's getting the engine and transmission (obviously), the PCM, BCM, and basically everything else I can stuff into the Grand Prix while still maintaining its appearance (RKE, RAP, newer chime module, etc.). Everything should have no problem playing nicely and I should be able to reuse my motor mounts, transmission mounts, and also my current driveshaft AFAIK. The Camaro is likely to be parted out afterwards.
Most current pics I've taken:

fhbQ2oX.jpg

VM9q2xG.jpg

8O0JUCf.jpg

jsLK0M7.jpg

The main highlight of the build however is the turbo!

WBZ0ErI.jpg

This is a Holset HX35. I'm not going for a huge crazy build, but I'm shooting for somewhere around 400 hp with it. The holset should do pretty well with these goals, but I'm considering switching to a HY35 exhaust housing over the twin scroll housing.
We're looking at fabbing up our own manifolds for this and going with a 3" exhaust after the turbo. Also going to be using a 3" intercooler.

pfkhroY.jpg

The exterior of the car will stay basically stock including the vinyl top. Sleepers ftw :fy:

Other plans include stiffer sway bars, better shocks, and lowering springs front and rear for about a 1.5" - 2" drop. I'm also going to take the body off the frame so we can add more frame bracing since these frames are pretty flimsy from the factory. Also using 16 x 8 IROC Camaro rims for now with probably 245/50-16 tires for now. I might go wider in the rear though.
I've also got an 8.5" axle from an A-body Olds for it. It looks like it'll need quite a bit of work, but I also have a few different sets of ring/pinion gears for it. I'll probably stick with the 3.73 set. The axle supposedly doesn't use c-clips to hold the axles in, but I think that whatever is supposed to hold them in is missing. It'll also need at least a new passenger side axle since the previous owner drilled larger studs in. It currently has disc brake rotors on it, and also caliper mounting brackets that supposedly fit "metric gm" calipers, but I really have no idea what will fit it. In the meantime though I'll use my 7.5" for now with the disc brakes from the Camaro until the 7.5" breaks.

OdvU1MC.jpg

Any idea what these brakes are from?

YWHcNT7.jpg

I know most people with these cars are obsessed with carbureted V8's, but I feel like I've made the right choice here. The V6 will be much lighter than a V8 especially with a manual transmission. This will help to remove extra weight from the front of the car and bring it closer to a 50/50 weight ratio. It'll also offer a ton of power and still give great fuel economy. Not to mention I can also tune it with my laptop! I suppose the idea is it's basically a Pontiac Grand National but with the more modern 3.8, more power, and a manual transmission.

The biggest challenge will be getting the turbo in here, and also getting the manual transmission into the car. Luckily the T5 uses a hydraulic clutch so clutch fork geometry won't be an issue. I'm still a little bit hesitant about cutting up my floorboards for the shifter though. It's looking like I will also have to do something about the seats since the shifter will sit where the middle seat is at. We'll see about using a center console... Those bridges will be crossed when we come to them though.

The first challenge was transporting the car over to my brother's house where there's a garage I can work on this in. I originally tried to just drive it out there, but the engine pretty much said "fuck this, I'm done". After a long night, we ended up trailer-ing it the next day.

lC9Ak5N.jpg

vkKgIsN.jpg

Here it is finally in the garage last night:

CoAkvNn.jpg

yeah, it's dark. my bad.

Progress!

EplyXZU.jpg

front clip removed:

vi3O9Fa.jpg

ZTcTwrI.jpg

engine removed:

12huSIv.jpg

A9jAPYz.jpg

I'm powered by Rockstar!

8PhMj52.jpg

So much room for activities!!!

B5IVhTP.jpg

So basically all of the remains of the L27 are gone. I have also started to separate the body from the frame. I got all of the body mounts disconnected, but called it quits after attempting to remove the rear bumper. Hopefully I can get the body off the frame tomorrow and get started on removing the engine and transmission from the Camaro. I've got a long road ahead of me, but I'll have this done for the Woodward Dream Cruise I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So I am years late on commenting on this, but just wanted to say I have a real soft spot in my heart for this generation Grand Prix. I had a 79 SJ in, wait for it, Jade Green, with the anemic 301. Then had a pristine low mileage White 81 LJ with the even more anemic 3.8. Also always wanted an aerocoupe.

So, (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: bs009

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
That's awesome! Glad to hear that! Not too often you hear about other g-body GP's!

So now I guess I'm leaning more towards using my L67 then since the difference is too close to make a big deal about. Plus it'll feel nice to re-use that motor again since I still feel bad about getting rid of the car it was in before.

This article suggests there's probably more power on the table going lower compression with boost then since it would take a few more pounds of boost to match the effective compression ratios.

If their math checks out, then 20 psi of boost on the L36 would be roughly the same effective compression as running 24 psi on the L67 short block, and the 24 psi would give about a 7% power increase on the L67 vs 20 psi on the L36. The turbo and the intercooler would just be tested a little harder.

Looks like I have some room to play with cam timing too. Apparently the L67 cams are advanced a little bit compared to the L36 to give them a little more low end torque. If I use an L36 timing set I would get a little more top end power it looks like, but the L67 will help it get out of the hole.
I'll probably keep the L67 as it is then since I'm still using the highway 2.41:1 rear end in the car.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
So I am years late on commenting on this, but just wanted to say I have a real soft spot in my heart for this generation Grand Prix. I had a 79 SJ in, wait for it, Jade Green, with the anemic 301. Then had a pristine low mileage White 81 LJ with the even more anemic 3.8. Also always wanted an aerocoupe.

So, (y)(y)(y)

I once posted a green Buick like that w/green interior on tb.com and everyone was fawning over the rare color combination. :rofl: I'm gussing 301 NA right? A neat trick if you are into Pontiacs hard core is that an 81 301 dizzy will let you do computer controlled timing on a traditional Pontiac if you want to say TBI convert it. The 301 dizzys fit anything up to a 455.

If it was 05-10ish I'd say blow through the sucker and have fun till it popped. Any more though I'd be thinking about even a basic 4.8L with a lightly built 4L60E. Then again I'm betting the 110hp engine is paired with a 2.73 gear ratio or something absurd like that.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Working on this thing for the next couple weeks or so now instead of the wiki.

Got the motor pulled a couple days ago

urY964l.jpg

Cylinder 3 was the only one showing any damage anywhere:

C64BQU3.jpg

5S1Rk6m.jpg

Head can probably just be cleaned up, but I have a set of newer heads I'm planning on using instead since I've heard the older heads can crack.

Here's the L67 shortblock I'm going to use:
l1qE0SN.jpg

Has about 225,000 miles on it. It came from my old 99 Regal GS that I don't have anymore. The motor is in pretty good shape for it's age and these things last forever anyway.

Figured I'd also do some porting while I have everything apart and switch to the L67 throttle body I have leftover too. It's about 4mm larger in diameter and has the newer style MAF sensor. I'm going to need to modify the intake a bit though like I showed in that L36 throttle body thread.

yDPyHOT.jpg

cxGgVFA.jpg

The intake will need to be opened up to take advantage of the larger TB

KS6zAvw.jpg

and apparently there's a huge protrusion on the bottom left of the opening that I thought was for the pcv but aparently serves no purpose that I can see...

7Mn47vW.jpg

anyway... it's gone now and there was nothing underneath it.

JBdzrpQ.jpg

tAM2tCw.jpg

cleaned up the extra material welded on the intake so the throttle cable bracket fits:

uLlanO2.jpg

AGMQaaS.jpg

Just removing that huge chunk of metal from that passage before should have a huge impact on throttle response and maybe power too so I'm pretty stoked to see the difference.

I'm also going to port the heads some. The F-body intake I have doesn't exact center perfectly on the the heads. One side is nice and even but the other side has a pretty big lip to it.

ASEVteN.jpg

What's also weird is that there's 2 different curves between the intake and the heads. You can see it in that last picture but this is what it looks like:
9YVF3J4.png

Not sure if I'm going to bother doing anything with that though.

I'm definitely planning on getting some more room in the exhaust here though since my manifolds have the openings for it.

jpQQRNN.jpg

cMidqQm.jpg

should be fun haha! I figure parts are going to take a while to get here anyway with the whole Corona situation so I might as well make the most of it.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
A few words of porting advice:
1-Leave the floor on the exhaust port the hell alone. It's dead anyways. You will lose flow if anything messing with it. You mostly want to raise the roof as much as you can. If you can get that whole 1/8" with out breaking through DO IT. You seem to be in really good shape to get it to seal. Maybe a bit on the walls but with that I'd be really inclined just to leave it be.
2-Gains from port matching will probably be pretty minimal even with the overlap
3-Shoot for .20D clearance around the valve at .25D of lift in the chamber where D is the diameter of the valve. That may not always be possible especially looking at this head's chamber. It doesn't look like there's any room along the cylinder wall side. Put a HG there, score it and go no farther. That's probably the quickest easiest power to make on it. This is a fairly modern chamber so a lot of that has already been done for you though.
4-The throats should be no more than 85% of the valve diameter. Get some washers or grind down an old valve in a drill to the diameter you want so that you can make it happen. You can stick it in and check your work as you go.
5-Smooth the edges in the chamber, should help your detonation resistance some

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Here's the current progress on the heads.
I tried not to get too close to the valve guides, but I did open up the roof of the exhaust quite a bit and also cleaned up the bowl area too. I didn't really do too much to the intake though. Just cleaned up some of the casting edges in the head.

I set up both heads side by side so I could do a little at a time on each port and mimic what I did easier:
eX4Oz7K.jpg

Exhaust before:
lnuYxP4.jpg

After:
0AcuhFh.jpg

Bowl area

before:
bsw8s6O.jpg

after:
XYIAuRa.jpg

I could probably go a lot further on the exhaust ports where they meat the manifold though I think.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Thanks, that's probably true haha! It's kinda fun though at the very least. It's kinda like mowing the lawn because you can see the before vs after difference and it's pretty satisfying.

I've been watching a ton of engine masters and similar youtube channels lately and have been hearing a lot about how much heads can make a big improvement so I figured "why not?". There's a pretty good engine masters video about how Dulcich was able to make some pretty big gains on a set of old Mopar heads by porting and polishing them. He probably ported them way more than I've done, but still pretty neat.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Thanks, that's probably true haha! It's kinda fun though at the very least. It's kinda like mowing the lawn because you can see the before vs after difference and it's pretty satisfying.

I've been watching a ton of engine masters and similar youtube channels lately and have been hearing a lot about how much heads can make a big improvement so I figured "why not?". There's a pretty good engine masters video about how Dulcich was able to make some pretty big gains on a set of old Mopar heads by porting and polishing them. He probably ported them way more than I've done, but still pretty neat.

Saw that video. Those were very racey heads. Relocated pushrods and (many of) the tricks. Dude is seriously talented.

As I said, raise the roof on the exhausts, open the bowls up and a little chamber work you'll probably see 80% with a lot less effort.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
For sure. Dulcich is a really interesting dude in general. I like how he comes off as kind of a dorkey hillbilly, but actually started his career on Wall Street and spent a good portion of his life in New Zealand. Not to mention he could probably build a forklift out his barn with parts he picked out of the weeds that's faster than many of us :ROFLMAO:. If there's one person in the world I'd like to sit down and have a beer with it's probably him. I can't imagine the wild stories he could tell.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Yeah he's definitely a super knowledgeable person about engines. He is a bit odd though haha! Biggest gripe about him I have is how much of an old-school carb-humper he is though.

I feel like him and Finnegan have some tension though. Kind of totally off-topic here but this old thread is kind of funny if you're a big Dulcich fan:

Really adds some color to this roadkill extra too if you can assume the two are related and that forum post isn't actually in jest as he claimed.

Might not be actually anything there, but the two were pretty weird together during some of the first episodes where Dulcich appeared.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I ended up taking a little more out of the exhaust ports at the flange, but didn't cut anything off the short side radius. Basically just took material off the top and smoothed everything so it's pretty close to what you suggested here.

A7BBN6m.jpg

Lapped the valves, and installed new stem seals:
xOdJuo0.jpg

Ended up not running this old 225,000 mile timing chain. It's looking pretty sad:

tnoATLi.jpg

Head studs installed:

HpfuAmL.jpg

Engine relatively assembled:

qDFqzX2.jpg

O7E1RwQ.jpg

LBuOEqT.jpg

Got pipe plugs? lol
B7rURP2.jpg

Now I get to figure out how I'm going to attach the new throttle body's cable. The fwd cars have cables that pull from the front of the TB, but the RWD cars pull from the rear. So I need to figure out how I'm going to solve that issue. I'm thinking I'll be doing some welding of the bracket for the TB though.

Now that everything is painted this time, I'm also going to try to clean up some things under the hood too so the paint isn't hiding under wires and hoses and that ICM bracket. We'll see what I come up with, but I have a few ideas

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Thanks!

I was able to clearance a few things on the TB to make the camaro pulley fit on it, but it doesn't have the stops in the right places so it's easy for it to go beyond full throttle.

I'll either need to:
- keep the w-body bracket installed to be used just because the stops are in the right place and weld the camaro bracket on top of it
- attach some sort of stop in the perfect place for full throttle for the camaro pulley ? (not as confident about this option...)
- run a longer cable and just use the stock w-body bracket

I'll probably go with the 1st or last option. I think I have a really long w-body cable somewhere that I can use for option 3 and then that would get it out of sight too to help make things look cleaner.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Got it running today. Definitely still needs some work on the tune that I'm fixing right now, but it's way snappier now with the L67 throttle body.

BSD6FyO.jpg

ended up using the FWD throttle bracket and throttle cable. Worked out really nicely aside from me butchering the bolt hole where it bolts into the TB :LOL:. Thankfully I didn't cut off all of the threads.
Also notice the stainless steel block-off plate I made for the IAC that was in the intake.
jQV22iv.jpg

iifAIS3.jpg

That evap line on the TB blew off during my drive and caused some crazy surge and made me go insane looking at the fuel trims until i figured out what happened :ROFLMAO:

Intake looks so much better without cables all over it.
AvAP9fn.jpg

I'm trying to upload more to youtube to see if can get that to go anywhere. Definitely not enough 3800's on youtube IMO lol

I'll have a longer video up later

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Dang man! You don't mess around! I'm glad to see it running so well. That thing looks like it goes as soon as you step on it. I look forward to doing the same. Maybe soon.

Agreed about the 3800s on youtube. All the good videos are getting to be ten years old. lol I need to figure out my sound problems so that I can contribute!

Reactions: bs009

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
It's pretty lazy on the low end now that I did that cam timing change haha! The throttle response is night and day from where it was before though. Some trans tuning will solve that problem once the car is moving though at least.

I definitely took my time this time since I was filming everything that I was doing. Not a lot else going on right now though and it's kinda fun to just wrench on things without a schedule. I bought a gopro recently so I don't have to use my phone anymore but I'm still learning the ins and outs of filming haha

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Haven't had a lot going on with the car in the last year. Blame covid and other events in life keeping me insanely busy.

May not have mentioned that I turned the boost up on the car last year sometime over the summer by adding a set of 10 psi springs into it in addition to the 5 psi springs it had before. With both of those it would actually produce over 22 psi instead and it was taking it pretty well like that. Sometime early this year I pulled it out to visit a friend a few hours away and on the drive back I gave it the beans and was rewarded with a loud exhaust leak. After that I parked it until this past week since I've been working on getting ready to move.

So this past week I decided to fix the exhaust leak to pull the car out of the house. Pulled off the exhaust manifold gasket and saw some dark areas on it but overall it was in good shape. Replaced it anyways just in case but the leak was still there.
Turns out that the 'exhaust leak' was actually a blown head gasket ?

Anywho I pulled it out Saturday morning and had the new one in a few hours later. I didn't see any wear on the block or the head from it so hopefully it's fine. It does still have an exhaust leak though so I think I'll need to have the manifold mating surface flattened out.
Works great now though! I was able to drive it 9 hours down here to Tennessee. AC on it works better than any of the rest of my cars too.

Now I'm working on making a list of things to change on it before power tour. For sure the front suspension is going to get some much needed attention. If it's in the cards I'm hopefully going to address the transmission and rear gearset as well, but we'll see how that goes. New wheels are also on the way for this year because it needs new tires anyway

Thread Info