🔧 BUILD Turbo 3800 T56 Swapped G-body Grand Prix w/ Holley EFI

General Information

So after joining a long time ago, I thought I'd reenter with a build thread!

The car is my 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham.

Index for people who hate long threads like me:
First time running:

Finally fixed the 4000rpm breakup

T5 Carnage/4l60e swap

Power tour 2018 Mad rush to get done:

Rear Disc brakes swap/axle shenanigans

Power Tour 2019 Prep:

Glamor shots before power tour 19:

2020 quick trip

L67 short block swap and PNP:

2021 Power Tour Prep and T56 Swap:

New Wheels Before Power Tour 2021!

Late 2021 Season Refresh: Bigger Turbo, Ford 9", 1.9 rockers and little fixes:

2022 Updates: Cam swap, next engine, twin disc Monster clutch, Holley Terminator X conversion:

1688879639988.png

THIqdP5.jpg

It originally had a Buick 4.1 liter V6 from the factory with a 350 transmission behind it. Back in high school we thought it'd be a good idea to swap an L27 into it since we had it lying around and thought it'd be cheap quick. Anything was better than the knocking 4.1 with only 130hp though. We ended up using a 700r4 as the transmission, but the transmission never played nicely despite our best efforts to fix it. The engine was shoehorned under the hood too so I gave up on it and it has been just sitting around until now. It was a silly idea and I'm glad to be getting rid of it.

mDLVV10.jpg

9TlaxWT.jpg

Now I finally have plans for the car. I acquired a donor car for the whole drivetrain and am getting ready to go to town.

The donor car is 1998 Camaro with an L36 3800 and a world class Tremec T5 transmission. The car has only 112,000 miles on it and it was totaled in a front end collision. The plan is to pull everything out of the Camaro and retrofit basically everything I can into the Grand Prix. Electronically and as far as the engine and transmission go, it will be a 1998 Camaro. It's getting the engine and transmission (obviously), the PCM, BCM, and basically everything else I can stuff into the Grand Prix while still maintaining its appearance (RKE, RAP, newer chime module, etc.). Everything should have no problem playing nicely and I should be able to reuse my motor mounts, transmission mounts, and also my current driveshaft AFAIK. The Camaro is likely to be parted out afterwards.
Most current pics I've taken:

fhbQ2oX.jpg

VM9q2xG.jpg

8O0JUCf.jpg

jsLK0M7.jpg

The main highlight of the build however is the turbo!

WBZ0ErI.jpg

This is a Holset HX35. I'm not going for a huge crazy build, but I'm shooting for somewhere around 400 hp with it. The holset should do pretty well with these goals, but I'm considering switching to a HY35 exhaust housing over the twin scroll housing.
We're looking at fabbing up our own manifolds for this and going with a 3" exhaust after the turbo. Also going to be using a 3" intercooler.

pfkhroY.jpg

The exterior of the car will stay basically stock including the vinyl top. Sleepers ftw :fy:

Other plans include stiffer sway bars, better shocks, and lowering springs front and rear for about a 1.5" - 2" drop. I'm also going to take the body off the frame so we can add more frame bracing since these frames are pretty flimsy from the factory. Also using 16 x 8 IROC Camaro rims for now with probably 245/50-16 tires for now. I might go wider in the rear though.
I've also got an 8.5" axle from an A-body Olds for it. It looks like it'll need quite a bit of work, but I also have a few different sets of ring/pinion gears for it. I'll probably stick with the 3.73 set. The axle supposedly doesn't use c-clips to hold the axles in, but I think that whatever is supposed to hold them in is missing. It'll also need at least a new passenger side axle since the previous owner drilled larger studs in. It currently has disc brake rotors on it, and also caliper mounting brackets that supposedly fit "metric gm" calipers, but I really have no idea what will fit it. In the meantime though I'll use my 7.5" for now with the disc brakes from the Camaro until the 7.5" breaks.

OdvU1MC.jpg

Any idea what these brakes are from?

YWHcNT7.jpg

I know most people with these cars are obsessed with carbureted V8's, but I feel like I've made the right choice here. The V6 will be much lighter than a V8 especially with a manual transmission. This will help to remove extra weight from the front of the car and bring it closer to a 50/50 weight ratio. It'll also offer a ton of power and still give great fuel economy. Not to mention I can also tune it with my laptop! I suppose the idea is it's basically a Pontiac Grand National but with the more modern 3.8, more power, and a manual transmission.

The biggest challenge will be getting the turbo in here, and also getting the manual transmission into the car. Luckily the T5 uses a hydraulic clutch so clutch fork geometry won't be an issue. I'm still a little bit hesitant about cutting up my floorboards for the shifter though. It's looking like I will also have to do something about the seats since the shifter will sit where the middle seat is at. We'll see about using a center console... Those bridges will be crossed when we come to them though.

The first challenge was transporting the car over to my brother's house where there's a garage I can work on this in. I originally tried to just drive it out there, but the engine pretty much said "fuck this, I'm done". After a long night, we ended up trailer-ing it the next day.

lC9Ak5N.jpg

vkKgIsN.jpg

Here it is finally in the garage last night:

CoAkvNn.jpg

yeah, it's dark. my bad.

Progress!

EplyXZU.jpg

front clip removed:

vi3O9Fa.jpg

ZTcTwrI.jpg

engine removed:

12huSIv.jpg

A9jAPYz.jpg

I'm powered by Rockstar!

8PhMj52.jpg

So much room for activities!!!

B5IVhTP.jpg

So basically all of the remains of the L27 are gone. I have also started to separate the body from the frame. I got all of the body mounts disconnected, but called it quits after attempting to remove the rear bumper. Hopefully I can get the body off the frame tomorrow and get started on removing the engine and transmission from the Camaro. I've got a long road ahead of me, but I'll have this done for the Woodward Dream Cruise I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So I haven't done much driving with this thing since it almost always will start missing betweeen 3500 - 4500 rpms.

After the turbo rebuild it still seemed to be losing some oil out of the turbo and I realized that the oil drain had to be the issue, so out came the oil pan.

Had to lift the motor a few inches to clear the crossmember.

b6ts7Kb.jpg

I put on a much larger oil drain bung on the front of the oil pan above the oil level and closer to the turbo:

20KFGQc.jpg

w7fy7J5.jpg

Installed:

0251xZy.jpg

I used an original oil drain for the holset turbo instead of the aftermarket "-10 AN" fitting that appears to have a much smaller inside diameter than -10AN.

the aluminum one is the aftermarket one:

m0i29oi.jpg

9m6Omyi.jpg

I also replaced all of the ancient steering components with new moog components:

vPTmgu4.jpg

So this car is still misfiring at high rpms. So far I have:
- replaced plugs with 104's, tried 103's, and have also gapped down to 0.025" without any noticeable change.
- swapped Coils
- switched ICMs
- Swapped injectors with L67 injectors
- ran a compression test, shows 180 psi in all cylinders
- tried 3 different pcms with different tunes specific to the build, a stock Camaro tune, and a stock GTP tune.
- I've also gone through the wiring harness and looked for loose/exposed wires and checked continuity on every connection with an ohmmeter.

When it does misfire the logs don't show anything, the only sign of an issue in the logs is a blip of a lean AFR due to the unburnt fuel as well as a single row of a very low RPM while the car is in gear.

Here is one example of this:

2V3LEHa.png

Despite all of this, the car runs and drives great as long as I don't rev it up too high. I took it out to a cars and coffee about 30 minutes away last weekend and on the way back I was actually able to get it to rev up really close to redline without misfiring. It hauled ass and felt great until I went to drive it again and it started acting up again.

Here it is at its first cars and coffee:

ABzPIaq.jpg

I'll be bringing it out to the w-body/3800 gathering here in Detroit next weekend if anyone around here is crazy enough to head out here.

Between now and then I'm going to switch out the crank sensor with the old one to see if that helps. I'm really close to tearing out all of the engine wiring and redoing all of it.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
It's not really that consistent as to what RPM range it comes up. Sometimes it will hit over 4,000 before it breaks up, sometimes it will start to miss around 3500.

When it does miss it pretty much falls on its face so I usually let off the gas. I've usually let off as soon as it starts to misbehave. I might have some sort of video of it somewhere that I can dig up.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
The camaro I pulled everything from was in a front end accident and had a few cut wires where the hood was smashed in and I resoldered everything that was cut.

There is one place in the harness where some of the wires had some damaged insulation though that I wrapped with tape since the cores seemed fine. Some wires in that area were pretty bent but didn't appear to be damaged. I didn't spend the time to cut out and replace those sections since the car seems to run well for the most part.

I did go over all of the wires for continuity and didn't see any issues.
However I did see some damage to some of the insulation around the cam sensor wire and I wrapped that one up as well. The 18x and 3x signals didn't have any noticeable damage anywhere, but looked like they had some sharp bends in them.

Maybe I should pull a whole new ICM/Crank/Cam harness from another car and put that in here just to rule out the wiring.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I went back through and fixed most of the photobucket links now and realized that I hadn't updated this after the 3800 gathering. So here is that update pretty much copied and pasted from its build thread elsewhere:

So I took this car to the 3800 gathering out here in Mt Clemens last weekend and took home an award for the car. It was great to meet a lot of people I have only seen posts from online and really cool to see some of the oddball things people brought there.

I haven't driven the car much at all yet and there's so much more I want to do to clean things up and make it better so it felt great to have an award despite all of that.

To prep it for this I did some things to the tune and ziptied a few more things down it to make sure nothing goes wrong. Here it is getting ready for a set of front tires:

v9jW5uY.jpg

Ready for its long day of driving:

8YCgGhj.jpg

7ZZEdXN.jpg

First alignment for this car in more than 10 years. No idea when it was last aligned but apparently everything was way out

sllwuNv.jpg

Filling up on corn to make sure everything is safe:

VgB3LsT.jpg

At the gathering:

AK8xudd.jpg

It took home a second place award for 3800 swapped cars at the meet this year:

RaOv3Hs.jpg

and it also shredded a plastic pulley. Thankfully the guy next to me had a spare while I was there and I was able to change it quickly!

MRmfywi.jpg

For fun, some night shots of the car:

8JzGYGG.jpg

2HkuirI.jpg

wXFnPjb.jpg

Finally, a few glory shots of the car in daylight:

p8spDeU.jpg

yHLk48M.jpg

3Ndb07s.jpg

The car still has a long way to go before I'll be completely satisfied with it. For now though, I'm going to try to stop putting money into it and enjoy driving it!

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Sweet man! How was the meet?

I thought this year turned out pretty good. If this were my first year though I would have been more excited about it. I've been to the 2013, 2014, and 2016 meets before and I think this one was the largest of those.

There were a lot of GTO's and G8's there this year and most other cars were w-body's.
There were very few different things that I noticed like a Fiero and a Grand National but I didn't notice too many other cool oddball things this year.
I'm kinda tired of seeing the FWD racer thing myself, but there were a lot of neat things done to the w-body's too that wow-ed me when I looked harder at those cars.

To me it seemed like for every really neat car I saw there, there was something really stupid too though. You probably get that at a lot of modern car shows now though.

It was cool to meet people that I hadn't met before though and put faces to the screennames and the cars.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I drove the car out to Woodward over the weekend with some friends and noticed after it got there that it had leaked enough coolant that the level was halfway down the radiator.

I filled it up with water before driving it back and I think it was fine, but I didn't really have a good coolant gauge to look at since my laptop turned off while I was driving. I couldn't focus on the laptop to start scanning again since I was driving the car without a clutch after the hydraulic line disconnected itself while I was on the freeway.

I wish I had brought my dash cam or had been filming because this was some serious roadkill shit lol.

The car made it back fine and when I pulled in and popped the hood there was steam everywhere. It was running fine and everything and my dummy gauge hadn't really moved too much so I'm assuming it was just all from the leak in the radiator. I'll have to look out for anything that seems off though in case I did overheat it.

I pulled the radiator the next day and found a spot where the fan had been rubbing on it and just barely pierced through a fin on it. When I emptied the coolant too there was not much in it, but I'm hoping that was just because it all leaked out over night.

So now I have a much larger radiator for it:

BDA0hLI.jpg

And this required me to make a new upper mount for the radiator and to mess with the intercooler plumbing to fit it in there. I also made a completely different fan mount this time and used a different fan since the last fan was wobbly AF.

Old stuff:

gAJKgfd.jpg

EYnjkee.jpg

New radiator, different fan, better mounts:

NLCIevg.jpg

kqPUFdX.jpg

There is now almost no wiggle room upfront around the radiator, and the fan is really close to the turbo, but it has a heat shield so it's cool.

I also had to oval out the charge pipe that goes by the radiator to make enough room for it.

I also finally grabbed a set of bucket seats for the car. They're sort of intended to be temporary but they'll probably end up being in here for a long time.

C5NBCyM.jpg

They're from an 05 Monte Carlo and the driver seat is so much better for the car now than the plushy seat that was in there before. I no longer feel like I'm falling into a couch cushion when I get in the car, and these seats have side bolstering and adjustable lumbar support!

They sort of look out of place, but it's not enough to bother me too much right now. I do have the matching back seat for it but that'll be another adventure to install since it has a pretty involved rear bracket for the pass through those cars had.

I'm thinking I'll probably sell the factory seats since they're in good shape and I'm tired of having parts lying all over the place. If they do sell then I'll have a reason to put in the monte carlo rear seat.

Last edited:

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So I found out why the clutch hydraulic line kept popping out. Apparently this thing got pretty chewed up by the clip in the new slave.

cAf3Pex.jpg

The solution would be to replace the stock hydraulic cable with another stock replacement. The problem was that these things are listed for $160 locally and $60 online. I could have ordered it online and waited a few days for it. The only problem there is that I figured I would have this issue again a few hundred miles again down the road since the new slave doesn't grab the entire circumference of the fitting like the stock line did.

6zGhUmE.jpg

So I did some digging and it sounds like some other guys have had this issue before too. What I learned was that you can get AN fittings that fit to the clutch master and slave cylinders. For under $15 for both.

$30 later I have a much better hydraulic line for the clutch that shouldn't ever pop out on its own. It's also a larger diameter than the factory hose (-3an). There is so much win in this that I didn't care that I had to drop the tranny again:

UeNJksB.jpg

iH66RSq.jpg

QvmlFRY.jpg

I haven't done much testing with it yet, but I'm hoping to take the car for a longer drive this weekend. We'll see how it does.

Also, I sanded and polished the face of the wheels:

One of these is sanded down to 320 grit, the other is just scuffed up some

XCkwspa.jpg

One of these is sanded to 2,000 grit and polished with mother's. The others are just sanded to 320:

2yUI28K.jpg

All finished:

B5KTA9i.jpg

MEwqgOe.jpg

D3JX857.jpg

I'm super happy with how they turned out!

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Overall this car really sounds like it's on the down hill slope in terms of work. You're doing awesome, and it's good to see you getting to drive it.

Thanks a lot! I've probably driven this car more in the last few months than I have in the 10+ years that I've owned it :rofl:
I do feel like I've made a lot of headway in finding its issues and working out a lot of the quirks.

I know one of the biggest issues I still have to tackle is the exhaust since there's a leak in one of the manifolds and the tube that leads into one of the wastegates is at a terrible angle and is allowing more boost than what the spring should. I'll probably pull it all out over the winter and fix all of that.

I'm also probably going to pull off the muffler I have on here too and leave on the glasspack since the car is way too quiet lol.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So the car was great for about a week after my last update. But things happened

I had it towed back to my place
gcTmbBQ.jpg

and I towed it the rest of the way to the shop.
T2np9rj.jpg

I added some timing to it and did a pull in 3rd and the car shook quite a bit and I would hear a rattling when I let the clutch out.

I figured it was something broken in the clutch rattling around in there so I assumed it would just need a new clutch. I still had the original clutch so I figured I'd throw it in there to get the car around for now.

I pulled the tranny this weekend

mOfDVu2.jpg

The T5 is history.

$70 later and I now have a replacement.

pIYyy3E.jpg

UDrKoeU.jpg

Sadly, that is a 4l60e. No more manual

bye bye flywheel

9fL8OjR.jpg

Hello Flexplate:

Co6XYjy.jpg

All bolted in:

Sgd5Aqn.jpg

Driveshaft clearance is excellent:

uPDXirM.jpg

Seeing a trans dipstick in here makes me feel like I violated the car...

ca0O6mo.jpg

'Tis a sad day for manuals everywhere...

I've learned that manuals are expensive AF, even though they are fun. I can always convert it back and it would be stupid easy to do it now since I'm leaving the clutch pedal in there.
TKO600's are expensive AF, T56's are too.

The auto should be cheaper to build in the long run I think and it would be better for drag racing with all of the lag my turbo setup has. Plus it works and I only put $120 or so into this swap vs the >$600 I have into the T5 setup. This one is throwing a code for a stuck TCC though so it will need some work in the near future. When it does get rebuilt though it'll get the works.

It's been a hell of a weekend.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I'm glad the T5 was good for the carnage pictures at the very least :rofl: Those parts will make for some great trophies if ever pull the tranny apart.

The new tranny is quite good and the car definitely feels a lot faster now. After I put it in it was shifting at 5700 rpm with the stock 4l60e tables and I couldn't believe how hard the car was pulling. It's been a while since I had driven the car hard though and I don't think I ever shifted above 5500rpm so that might have had a lot to do with it.

It is absolutely putting some good power down, but with the tcc issue and the 2.41 gears it is a dog off the line.
It might see some track time next weekend if things go well this week. I'm sure the ET will suck, but I bet the trap speed will be great!
:jg:

Thread Info