🔧 BUILD Turbo 3800 T56 Swapped G-body Grand Prix w/ Holley EFI

General Information

So after joining a long time ago, I thought I'd reenter with a build thread!

The car is my 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham.

Index for people who hate long threads like me:
First time running:

Finally fixed the 4000rpm breakup

T5 Carnage/4l60e swap

Power tour 2018 Mad rush to get done:

Rear Disc brakes swap/axle shenanigans

Power Tour 2019 Prep:

Glamor shots before power tour 19:

2020 quick trip

L67 short block swap and PNP:

2021 Power Tour Prep and T56 Swap:

New Wheels Before Power Tour 2021!

Late 2021 Season Refresh: Bigger Turbo, Ford 9", 1.9 rockers and little fixes:

2022 Updates: Cam swap, next engine, twin disc Monster clutch, Holley Terminator X conversion:

1688879639988.png

THIqdP5.jpg

It originally had a Buick 4.1 liter V6 from the factory with a 350 transmission behind it. Back in high school we thought it'd be a good idea to swap an L27 into it since we had it lying around and thought it'd be cheap quick. Anything was better than the knocking 4.1 with only 130hp though. We ended up using a 700r4 as the transmission, but the transmission never played nicely despite our best efforts to fix it. The engine was shoehorned under the hood too so I gave up on it and it has been just sitting around until now. It was a silly idea and I'm glad to be getting rid of it.

mDLVV10.jpg

9TlaxWT.jpg

Now I finally have plans for the car. I acquired a donor car for the whole drivetrain and am getting ready to go to town.

The donor car is 1998 Camaro with an L36 3800 and a world class Tremec T5 transmission. The car has only 112,000 miles on it and it was totaled in a front end collision. The plan is to pull everything out of the Camaro and retrofit basically everything I can into the Grand Prix. Electronically and as far as the engine and transmission go, it will be a 1998 Camaro. It's getting the engine and transmission (obviously), the PCM, BCM, and basically everything else I can stuff into the Grand Prix while still maintaining its appearance (RKE, RAP, newer chime module, etc.). Everything should have no problem playing nicely and I should be able to reuse my motor mounts, transmission mounts, and also my current driveshaft AFAIK. The Camaro is likely to be parted out afterwards.
Most current pics I've taken:

fhbQ2oX.jpg

VM9q2xG.jpg

8O0JUCf.jpg

jsLK0M7.jpg

The main highlight of the build however is the turbo!

WBZ0ErI.jpg

This is a Holset HX35. I'm not going for a huge crazy build, but I'm shooting for somewhere around 400 hp with it. The holset should do pretty well with these goals, but I'm considering switching to a HY35 exhaust housing over the twin scroll housing.
We're looking at fabbing up our own manifolds for this and going with a 3" exhaust after the turbo. Also going to be using a 3" intercooler.

pfkhroY.jpg

The exterior of the car will stay basically stock including the vinyl top. Sleepers ftw :fy:

Other plans include stiffer sway bars, better shocks, and lowering springs front and rear for about a 1.5" - 2" drop. I'm also going to take the body off the frame so we can add more frame bracing since these frames are pretty flimsy from the factory. Also using 16 x 8 IROC Camaro rims for now with probably 245/50-16 tires for now. I might go wider in the rear though.
I've also got an 8.5" axle from an A-body Olds for it. It looks like it'll need quite a bit of work, but I also have a few different sets of ring/pinion gears for it. I'll probably stick with the 3.73 set. The axle supposedly doesn't use c-clips to hold the axles in, but I think that whatever is supposed to hold them in is missing. It'll also need at least a new passenger side axle since the previous owner drilled larger studs in. It currently has disc brake rotors on it, and also caliper mounting brackets that supposedly fit "metric gm" calipers, but I really have no idea what will fit it. In the meantime though I'll use my 7.5" for now with the disc brakes from the Camaro until the 7.5" breaks.

OdvU1MC.jpg

Any idea what these brakes are from?

YWHcNT7.jpg

I know most people with these cars are obsessed with carbureted V8's, but I feel like I've made the right choice here. The V6 will be much lighter than a V8 especially with a manual transmission. This will help to remove extra weight from the front of the car and bring it closer to a 50/50 weight ratio. It'll also offer a ton of power and still give great fuel economy. Not to mention I can also tune it with my laptop! I suppose the idea is it's basically a Pontiac Grand National but with the more modern 3.8, more power, and a manual transmission.

The biggest challenge will be getting the turbo in here, and also getting the manual transmission into the car. Luckily the T5 uses a hydraulic clutch so clutch fork geometry won't be an issue. I'm still a little bit hesitant about cutting up my floorboards for the shifter though. It's looking like I will also have to do something about the seats since the shifter will sit where the middle seat is at. We'll see about using a center console... Those bridges will be crossed when we come to them though.

The first challenge was transporting the car over to my brother's house where there's a garage I can work on this in. I originally tried to just drive it out there, but the engine pretty much said "fuck this, I'm done". After a long night, we ended up trailer-ing it the next day.

lC9Ak5N.jpg

vkKgIsN.jpg

Here it is finally in the garage last night:

CoAkvNn.jpg

yeah, it's dark. my bad.

Progress!

EplyXZU.jpg

front clip removed:

vi3O9Fa.jpg

ZTcTwrI.jpg

engine removed:

12huSIv.jpg

A9jAPYz.jpg

I'm powered by Rockstar!

8PhMj52.jpg

So much room for activities!!!

B5IVhTP.jpg

So basically all of the remains of the L27 are gone. I have also started to separate the body from the frame. I got all of the body mounts disconnected, but called it quits after attempting to remove the rear bumper. Hopefully I can get the body off the frame tomorrow and get started on removing the engine and transmission from the Camaro. I've got a long road ahead of me, but I'll have this done for the Woodward Dream Cruise I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Not sure how it works with the newer stuff, but on the older stuff you'd have a switch that would connect to the fuel pump where it would shut the engine off if there wasn't enough oil pressure. It would be in parallel with the FP relay so that the relay would let the engine turn over and build up pressure, then the switch would kick in and keep the FP going. The reasoning is that it would shut fuel down if the engine shut off, thereby stopping it from pumping in case of a line break and feeding an engine fire.

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Sorted out the security issue. Turns out it was backwards day at GM when they programmed that table.

The car runs now and everything seems to be working pretty well, but it is misfiring pretty bad. I don't have an oxygen sensor connected at the moment because the one's I pulled from the Camaro seem to have disappeared. Hopefully though that's the reason for the misfiring...

internal wastegate bolted down to prevent it from opening:
waqz1zV.jpg

downpipe:
bQ4ow4P.jpg

vjNhvgm.jpg

I'll need to replace the pipe on the turbo for the outlet on the cold side

This took way too long to do:
gSkeODt.jpg

Out of the garage with the bumpers bolted on, bumper trim still not installed:
OH6HqP4.jpg

video of it "running":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWacxJbrp5I

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So I finally sorted out the issue with the misfire.

I started by replacing the cam and crank sensors. When I put the balancer on I put it on wrong though and had to replace the key on the crank and the crank sprocket. I ended up replacing the whole timing set after that and put it all back together.
anzXm9Z.jpg

After putting it back together it was still running pretty bad so I started to trace out the wiring again to make sure that everything was okay with the harness from the Camaro. I stopped after the fuel injectors and switched PCM's with one from a 98 L36 Grand Prix. I flashed a quick tune on it to disable EGR and adjust for my injectors and the tranny and fired it up. It runs perfect now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXnIh8NxpU

Now I just need to finish up a few things, tie a few loose ends and she'll be road worthy!

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
finished up the exhaust from the downpipe back finally and started working on the wastegate exits.

Here is what I made for my "downpipe-back"

muffler and glasspack:
yPoHZSt.jpg

raw materials:

5ZVAjRK.jpg

90nzJwp.jpg

Everything tacked together:

in front of axle:
QkGLi6q.jpg

axle-back:
2C6g6El.jpg

cutting the tip:
HpUCvHr.jpg

Over axle hump with suspension all the way down:
vqYufpp.jpg

with the car's weight on it:
rUZBnjp.jpg

tip installed:
t4uFmjP.jpg

wrapped exhaust manifolds. Man this stuff gets everywhere, I finished these up and found little strands of fiberglass everywhere.

fRvvs9d.jpg

Here they are installed again. These two would be connected had I not broken my v-band clamp tonight.

9C1bdxS.jpg

If it weren't for me breaking that clamp I would be buying plates for the car this weekend and taking it for a test drive. Looks like that will have to wait until I get a new clamp.
:fu:

wastegate exits plumbed:
0AHffnv.jpg

I'm also working on putting together a gauge pod to go underneath the center console.

K25pSY0.jpg

couple things left before the car will be good enough to come out of its cave:
- front brakes: going to be swapping over to S10 knuckles and hopefully blazer calipers
- parking brake cables (those are on their way)
- modification to fuel rail to fix leak (have an aeromotive FPR to install)
- new rear tires
- possibly a brace to help support the turbo

After all of that, I'll feel very confident in driving this car pretty much anywhere.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Did some work on the brakes recently. I found a 2wd blazer in the junkyard near me and pulled the spindles and brakes from it.

McDeWnl.jpg

ball joints removed:
BN5zIf3.jpg

These new ball joints were a PITA to press in.
3Ax3piT.jpg

stock brakes:

3WM3ykr.jpg

New brakes:
PNELqAe.jpg

Also, my parking brake handle is no longer just for show. I used brake cables from a 4th gen camaro that had drums and made this bracket:
gMMrNAC.jpg

new rear wheel cylinders:
nLkH1wk.jpg

and painted!
iJHbsLG.jpg

I'm still chasing down some air in the lines right now. the master cylinder is new and I didn't bench bleed it when I put it on so I think I'll have to take it off and do that.

I spent way too much money on this:
cU5I2oc.jpg

going to use the stock fuel rail. I gutted the OEM FPR and will be welding the vacuum port shut.
KgSUxjB.jpg

Made room for the filter!
V5pYtab.jpg

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I am surprised more people aren't following this. It is some good shit.

It's probably because they know this car will either be really slow, or it will just break the trans and the diff before it ever does anything too cool haha

It's the name, should be named project turbo 3800 swapped RWD old AF Grand prix. That definitely would have gotten my attention :rofl:

I did actually attempt to change the name a while back by changing the title of the first thread, but that didn't seem to take lol.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Road-worthy!

FPR installed and braced:
gqycu8M.jpg

stock FPR blocked off:
i7nUvxy.jpg

twin catch cans!
BzVcmAX.jpg

the outlet that came with my turbo stuck out too much being at a ~75* angle.
I replaced it with one I found one on ebay so I could close my hood:
ryT7jLs.jpg

HiMaAWX.jpg

Hood installed again for the first time in almost 3 years!
vhGtdfb.jpg

New rear tires!
OAC9dP0.jpg

nRTHvEd.jpg

Using BFG G-force Comp2 all seasons in 245/50-16's for now. Will be running the same on the front soon too! The front has a set of 205/60-16 Michelin symmetry's right now.

So the car has plates on it now and I took it down the street a couple of times. The alignment is way out of wack and the brakes still feel mushy. It developed a coolant leak since I had a loose radiator hose clamp. I also found an oil leak at the dipstick; looks like when it went into boost it started blowing out oil there. I shoved it in properly again and it should be good now.
One of the other issues was that it was misfiring under boost. I'm running a set of autolite 104's gapped at .050". I lowered the gap to .045" after that drive so hopefully that solves the issue. I won't know until tomorrow though because now my junkyard starter decided to take a shit on me and stopped working.

So now, I should just have to replace that starter, pump the clutch a lot, replace a parking brake cable that I broke, and keep an eye on fluid leaks and it should be in good shape. I'll also try to get an alignment in this weekend if I can.
I'm going to try to take a roadtrip with it on sunday. I'll bet it'll do great as long as I solve those issues. it's sort of a roadkill inspired idea so I'll see how this plays out here.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
So I fixed the crap that came up during thursday's adventure only for the car to develop some sort of kinda quiet backfire at idle. Wideband is showing that it's running super lean (maxed out at 17.0:1), and it seems like my computer is having trouble trying to scan it with DHP.

Basically it's kinda running like poop right now and I'm getting really tired of dealing with this car's shit. I was hoping to get it aligned tomorrow but I suppose chasing down this garbage will be more fun.

Thread Info