đź“° Auto News Toyota sheds doubt on America killing combustion engines

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
General Motors may be the first American automaker to announce plans to adopt battery electrification across its entire future lineup, and it won't be the last. Already, Ford of Europe has made the same commitment, as have Volvo, Jaguar, and Mini. The world's former most valuable automaker is no immediate rush, however. Toyota sent its director of Energy and Environmental Research, Rober Wimmer, to testify before US senators earlier this week to convince them that phasing out combustion engines completely is no easy (and cheap) task.

Per Reuters, Wimmer told the Senate panel the following: "If we are to make dramatic progress in electrification, it will require overcoming tremendous challenges, including refueling infrastructure, battery availability, consumer acceptance and affordability."

Despite bold EV-related statements from rival automakers, Wimmer pointed out that less than two percent of vehicles sold in the US last year were pure battery electrics. Although a growing number of consumers are warming to the idea of buying EVs, there are still concerns regarding charging-related issues, ownership costs, and even battery fires. It's not that Toyota is completely against an industry-wide changeover to BEVs, it simply recognizes that it'll require more time than the 14 years until GM's pledge kicks in.

Wimmer pointed out it took Toyota 20 years to sell over 4 million hybrids. The automaker made waves nearly 25 years ago when it launched the first series-production hybrid, the Toyota Prius.

Later this year, it plans to unveil a new EV prototype with advanced solid-state battery technology. A production version will go on sale by 2025. Battery electrics are not the only form of electrification Toyota is dabbling in. It has also made huge strides in hydrogen fuel cell technology and already launched a second-generation featuring this powertrain, the 2021 Mirai. Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda has made no effort to hide his belief that nations, particularly his home country of Japan, is nowhere near ready for battery electrics, citing specifically the lack of a broad charging infrastructure.

The Biden administration, meanwhile, announced an initiative in January to replace the federal government's gas-powered vehicle fleet with electric vehicles. It'll be interesting to see if Toyota's lobbying will have an effect.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Thank you, Toyota.
giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The country that has more vending machines then people but doesn't have the juice for electric cars?

I admit, The inner cities would be tough because everything is so compacted together. But the people of Japan do not drive very far on a regular basis.

i have no idea how those two things could correlate.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You are so against the EV wave that is coming, it would be impossible to convince you of anything.

Hence my quote that if you had ended up with Tesla, 2021 is officially more fucked up than 2020.

im not against it whatsoever

im just not as rose-color'd lense'd about it as you and other members. you somehow believe it's an attainable utopia really near to happening... it's not. it's going to take much more time than you, Z ZOOMER, or M Mike K think

100000% i am not against it, i dont know how many times i can type "i know it will happen" for you :rofl:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
okay, so they don't have more vending machines than people, luckily we've established that now, but how does this number correlate to charging cars?
Even if it did correlate, it doesn't matter. For all we know, Japan's infrastructure could be maxxing itself out because of the damn vending machines. Why would it suddenly be able to handle the charging stations?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
California has rolling blackouts it seems now yearly, texas had them after this winter storm, michigan has them during the summer, i mean, fuck, looks like 14 states total had them just in february?

According to The New York Times, the organization manages the electric grid used in all of Oklahoma and Kansas and parts of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, and New Mexico.

The grid operator said in a statement on Twitter that this was the first time it had ordered mass rolling blackouts and that it was doing so to prevent further uncontrolled power failures.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Good on Toyota for finally bringing up the obvious. I have no doubt that full electrification is coming, but these timelines are ludicrous. I think the automakers are setting themselves up for failure in multiple ways by making these PR statements. Not only are they going to be scrambling to to make a product, but the government is going to say "Good for you. In that case ICEs are illegal to manufacture by that time."

"Gee, never thought about that did we."

I get it. Tesla caught them all with their pants down, so the rest of the industry is trying to do (say) bold stuff to keep people interested. However, somebody has to give EPA their reality check before they too start gaining unrealistic expectations.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Good on Toyota for finally bringing up the obvious. I have no doubt that full electrification is coming, but these timelines are ludicrous.
Basically this.

I still don't see the benefit of full electrification though, there will be households where electric just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
EVs are inevitable, and even what we have now are great products, but masses won’t adopt until gas is way more expensive. 15 years just seems way aggressive, especially consider the lack of current infrastructure, and infrastructure maintenance. For the general car buyer, EV adoption is about saving money, and that’s not a given right now considering high costs versus an equivalent ICE car. And the fed incentive, which does help affordability, doesn’t apply to everyone. I think you have to make at least $65k-plus to have enough tax liability for the full credit. And joint filers $90k.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Not to sound like a broken record, but just because you stop selling ICE vehicles on XX/XX/XXXX doesn’t mean every vehicle ever made is instantly electric. So even on that date we still have 20 years to “catch up” on the charging infrastructure. Charging points will be as common as light poles by then. This is not some insurmountable task.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I also question how the future power grid will handle an increase this significant. Renewable energy's share of the US power grid is poised to increase, but that power is less consistent than nuclear/nat gas/coal etc.

I wonder if they'll build more nuclear plants
Which is why I also can't see the environmental or sustainability benefits of full electrification yet. Upping our nuclear waste and burning more coal is not an amazing plan. All power comes from somewhere and you lose some every time it's transferred.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info