đź“° Auto News Toyota sheds doubt on America killing combustion engines

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I also question how the future power grid will handle a demand increase this significant. Renewable energy's share of the US power grid is poised to increase, but that power is less consistent than nuclear/nat gas/coal etc.

I wonder if they'll build more nuclear plants

it'd make sense but everyone hears nuclear and loses their fucking minds unfortunately.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I'd be quite happy with transitioning with a hybrid gas/electric that could deliver on both performance and economy. Something like a Volt or Prius, but that was actually fun to drive. I realize that is difficult due to the weight and packaging of 2 separate power units. Something like the Accord Hybrid but with a little more oomph is actually appealing to me.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Which is why I also can't see the environmental or sustainability benefits of full electrification yet. Upping our nuclear waste and burning more coal is not an amazing plan. All power comes from somewhere and you lose some every time it's transferred.
Coal is definitely going to continue decreasing, the only "non-renewable" growth would be in NG or nuclear.

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not to sound like a broken record, but just because you stop selling ICE vehicles on XX/XX/XXXX doesn’t mean every vehicle ever made is instantly electric. So even on that date we still have 20 years to “catch up” on the charging infrastructure. Charging points will be as common as light poles by then. This is not some insurmountable task.

well and the major part with most of these releases is not many ICE manufacturers (just MINI?) has said they are going to not sell any more ICE vehicles at all.

plenty of mild-hybrids out there- BMW style, as well as most announcements say they will stop developing new combustion engines. not stop making them all-together. i mean shit, aren't 496's still made for "off" applications? generators, boats, etc?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd be quite happy with transitioning with a hybrid gas/electric that could deliver on both performance and economy. Something like a Volt or Prius, but that was actually fun to drive. I realize that is difficult due to the weight and packaging of 2 separate power units. Something like the Accord Hybrid but with a little more oomph is actually appealing to me.
giphy.gif

maybe not the most fun to drive, but more fun tod rive than a volt or prius id rekonn.... 30 miles on electric. 0-60 in 6 flat.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
it'd make sense but everyone hears nuclear and loses their fucking minds unfortunately.
I'm not scared of a second Chernobyl or anything like that, but storing the spent rods in massive underground concrete tombs for the next 1500 years is not very sustainable. The US is already starting to have issues with space for that stuff. Who knows, maybe that can be our more realistic long-term goal for Mars? ?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I'm not scared of a second Chernobyl or anything like that, but storing the spent rods in massive underground concrete tombs for the next 1500 years is not very sustainable. The US is already starting to have issues with space for that stuff. Who knows, maybe that can be our more realistic long-term goal for Mars? ?

Shit, we talked about that over 10 years ago at the Nuke plant.

Nothing has changed

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Toyota is just being real here, some of these goals are unrealistic and setting up for disappointment. My biggest concern is our grid infra, the unthinkable just happened in Texas and in California brownouts are normal part of life.

Also any talk about converting ocean cargo ships from bunker oil to electric or an alternative fuel? Is there an aggressive timeline for that? These are out of sight, out of mind but the only viable way to transport everything across continents, including all the green components, batteries, solar panels, windmills etc. I'm not against EVs or going "green", but there are many many more pieces to this puzzle and somedays I feel we are just expecting everything to fall in line perfectly.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Good article, very accurate. About 2% of US vehicles are EV, and there is nowhere near enough charging infrastructure to handle even an increase to 5%.

A German neighbor of mine who is VW seconded to Navistar and I talked about this last fall, and he said he expects hybrids to increase sales much more so than EV for a variety of reasons.

But that said, there is a lot of innovation out there with respect to charging infrastructure... Companies like Ubitricity are working on street side charging:
ubitricity-london-uk.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The country that has more vending machines then people but doesn't have the juice for electric cars?

I admit, The inner cities would be tough because everything is so compacted together. But the people of Japan do not drive very far on a regular basis.
Honestly, most of them don't need to. The public transit system is fucking incredible there. In almost all the big city's you can get to anywhere except for the rural stuff.

When I was in Japan during high school I regularly commuted an hour each way by train JUST to go to high school.

We'd leave the house in the morning, walk 15m to a train station, hop on a train for 30m, walk another 15m to school, and repeat on the way home.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Basically this.

I still don't see the benefit of full electrification though, there will be households where electric just doesn't make sense.
Basically anyone who lives in an apartment complex, or anyone who street parks in a city need not apply for an electric car.

When my grey RS was totaled, I did actually investigate what it would take to get an electric charging station installed by my apartment. I ran the costs and everything. LL said Fuck No. So I said Fuck No to a Tesla.

Can you imagine how backed up just the current Gas pumps would be if everyone parked their car there for 30 minutes+ to charge? Just with gas cars alone, we don't have anywhere near enough gas pumps for cars to sit in on of those spots for 30m+.

Lines would be around the block like in the gas crisis.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I know there are people here that are familiar with power grid from a purely operational standpoint - but is anyone here familiar with it from a SCADA/ICS security standpoint? It's scary. And it's even scarier to think that we want to rely on that system to power our transportation and logistics in the near future. It needs a serious revamp.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I know there are people here that are familiar with power grid from a purely operational standpoint - but is anyone here familiar with it from a SCADA/ICS security standpoint? It's scary. And it's even scarier to think that we want to rely on that system to power our transportation and logistics in the near future. It needs a serious revamp.

reminds me of this:

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Renting of almost *anything* is the future. You won’t own a car, you’ll just summon an electric car to pick you up and go where you need to. Then it’ll drive off to pick someone else up. Far less cars will be on the road so the infrastructure people think is needed won’t be near as large. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Aircal

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett

I remember watching a documentary about spent nuclear fuel and they factored in the weight of the ice during the next ice age when designing the concrete tombs. Really made me double think the environmental impacts of nuclear.

Reactions: v6buicks

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I’ve been thinking about this whole EV revolution thing a lot and I agree with Toyota that many auto manufacturers are pushing insanely agressive target dates that they wanna go 100% EV by. I think Jaguar said they wanna be an all electric company by 2025. Literally gonna be so many bottlenecks. (And were already seeing them with the semiconductor chip shortage)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
our only real option is nuclear. im looking forward to the new sperical Tokamak fussion plant designed to use the cheap ribbon superconductors MIT figured out.....gonna beat ITER to the punch id guess.

lb of pollution per megawatt, you cant beat nuclear.....it easy to trap and sequester nuclear byproducts than it is to try to scub Carbon, hydrogen sulfide, nitrides, methane, particulates out of the air

they wont do it on the big fuel burner plants, they dont wanna spend the $ on the equipment, theyd rather the hippy dippy population pay for the equipment in their cars to make em think like they are making a difference.

big picture there's no beating nuclear to get us off carbon. EV use increase will give big oil the ability to increase generating plant usage of fuels, they probably wont see much change in their demand between gas/electric so i dont think they care unless you propose building a nuclear plant....then the fear mongering begins

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info