Thinking of buying a Go-Pro? Read this.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I've been thinking about picking a go-pro for a little while to be able to film random stuff as well as car events. A member of my group the other day told me about a low cost alternative made by a company called Lightdow sold through Amazon. I was skeptical with it being priced just under $60, but I decided to do research. Watched a lot of videos on YouTube and read a few dozen reviews. The side by side comparison videos with Go-Pro brand cameras was nearly identical. Another member here saw that thread and got one for himself and when I saw his videos, that's when I decided I would buy one for myself. Honestly, I'm impressed. I have been toying with it for a few hours, recorded a few videos. I also found out that pretty much any Go-Pro accessories will fit the Faux-pro. It comes with a decent amount of mounts as well as an extra battery. Here's a video I took earlier with the suction cup mount I purchased and the camera itself as well as photos of the overall setup. I'm pretty pleased and if you're looking at a Go-Pro, save the money and buy one of these. It works just as good as my brother's Go-Pro at a fraction of the cost.

Here's the test video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_5bMjiUd6o

13432146_10153573807721674_426722585595420367_n.jpg

13418975_10153573807831674_7880831342344713435_n.jpg

13428359_10153573807911674_2013459771790758882_n.jpg

12122505_10153573807976674_1385573345476768751_n.jpg

LINKS:

Camera

Tether cable and suction cup mount

4k Capable memory card

Windshield mount

All in all, pretty good for what it is.

Last edited:

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I didn't read too much yet. But can it accept the WiFi remote and battery from a go pro?

Gf has a gopro4 silver and I don't like asking to borrow for my motorcycle. This would be a win/win for me. Well she would hate me if it was equally quality. Lol
I can't answer that, but it comes with two batteries and a spare set with charger is only like fifteen bucks.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Seems like a great little cam for basic use.

For those that needs different recording options, high quality sound and a proven system, the GoPro is the way to go.

The new GoPro hero 4 black editions record in 4K, 2.7K, 1440, 1080, 960, 720, etc.

The battery life is not the most impressive since recording @ 1080/60 FPS, you get maybe 1.5 hours out of one. Not the best, but, I've seen worse.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Seems like a great little cam for basic use.

For those that needs different recording options, high quality sound and a proven system, the GoPro is the way to go.

The new GoPro hero 4 black editions record in 4K, 2.7K, 1440, 1080, 960, 720, etc.

The battery life is not the most impressive since recording @ 1080/60 FPS, you get maybe 1.5 hours out of one. Not the best, but, I've seen worse.

Quality sound? The GoPro has notoriously horrible sound.

This looks like a solid cam for the price though. The GoPro probably has more dynamic range but I'm not sure how much that matters for most.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

This looks like a solid cam for the price though. The GoPro probably has more dynamic range but I'm not sure how much that matters for most.

That was my only complaint with the go pro. Outside of car videos are pretty much all wind noise and distortions. When I stuck it to my helmet I did not have any complaints though

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL

Mine records sound very well.

I have another dash cam that I spent $70 bucks on and any sounds that is over maybe 40-50dB comes out crackling and static-like on it.

There are betters cams for recording, but, you get what you pay for.

The Hero 4 and Session models have come a long way compared to previous models.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

That was my only complaint with the go pro. Outside of car videos are pretty much all wind noise and distortions. When I stuck it to my helmet I did not have any complaints though

so this is partially due to what you are giving it. i mean that's all the camera is hearing outside your car anyway right? so you can get that foofy mic stuff to break up the wind noise but even then you're still going quite fast in a car. and if it doesn't hear anything else (say far from exhaust or engine or tire squeal) all it really has to listen to is still wind noise anyway. so that is where if you do something like put on foofy stuff and put it on your quarter panel, now you've reduced wind noise plus given it something else to actually record, squeal and engine.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
so this is partially due to what you are giving it. i mean that's all the camera is hearing outside your car anyway right? so you can get that foofy mic stuff to break up the wind noise but even then you're still going quite fast in a car. and if it doesn't hear anything else (say far from exhaust or engine or tire squeal) all it really has to listen to is still wind noise anyway. so that is where if you do something like put on foofy stuff and put it on your quarter panel, now you've reduced wind noise plus given it something else to actually record, squeal and engine.

Not really, no. Well, maybe 5%. There is absolutely no depth. Everything sounds like it's in a can. I've yet to hear a GoPro record anything even remotely acceptable. They are widely used in the industry and almost always coupled with an external sound recorder.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ordered a low rent handheld gimbal. Curious to see how well this works for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WFSUYR4/?tag=tcg21-20

You fuckers have no idea. When I first started my business we were selling the real version of this (Steadicam Merlin) for $700 and that was cheap. Then some companies in China got the bright idea of copying everything and basically wiped out the consumer steadicam industry. We don't even bother selling them anymore because they're worth so little.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info