The ULTIMATE Coyote vs. LS3 thread.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
_Deal_with_it_dog.gif

As a member of the tin foil hat society (according to Bob Hope) I prefer the simplicity of a pushrod engine over the complexity of dual overhead camshafts. The fact that this is even debateable should be an automatic win for the LS series of engines. Secondly, if your into modding at all I would think how much easier the ohv platform makes head and/or cam swaps (plus the cost saving of replacing 1 camshaft versus 4 camshafts). Finally I drove a '11 5.0 Mustang back to back with my '06 GTO. The engine may make similar power, but there is clearly a deficit of low end torque with the Coyote versus an LS2.

Winner: LS series engines, but the loser is a hell of a engine too!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So NMRA has a class called Coyote Stock. Basically a sealed engine & ECU from Ford, any Ford car newer than 1952 (I believe) and a minimum weight.

The video shows the first two passes ever in this car. With driver it weighed 3213. First pass was aborted. Skip to 1:30 for the second pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhhQY2jdY8k&feature

The next pass it went 122.53. Should be interesting to see what this class does!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
pretty neat- got any more details on the car/set-up?

It is a 01 Bullet Mustang. Not a whole lot of info given on the car. With the motor it is using a C&L "no tune needed" cold air kit & maf tube. The car was purpose built to run this class. It uses a TKO600 prepped by ProMotion. Not sure of gear ratio but the rev limiter in PCM is like 6750. The owner said he needs to leave a few hundred rpm more, shift better and do some chassis tuning as the car was pulling left the whole pass.

Here is the engine in the car.

http://www.nmradigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CharlesCS.jpg

They are expecting this class to be in the 10.50-10.60 range.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Stock long block, Boss intake, blow through, JT trim Vortech, 6 rib belt set up, E85 (E75 as tested) and through the stock automatic trans. 20 psi

dyno960.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nccaM3Ni2E4

"Last time on the dyno, we made 709 rwhp. We never redyno'd after putting the Boss 302 intake back on the car.

We attempted to dyno at the KOTs competition but unfortunately a traction control issue kept us from getting accurate numbers. At that time, I would have put the car around the 750 rwhp range.

Over the winter, we did a couple things.

First, we switched the car from Draw thru to a Blow thru setup. While doing this we increased the size of the tubing exiting the intercooler from 3" to 3 1/2" all the way up.

By adding a UPR tubular radiator support, we were able to custom bend the tubing to allow for a 13 1/2" straight tube vs the 9" tube that comes from Vortech / Paxton. This allows for almost 7" of straight pipe to clear up the air signal vs about 4 to 4 1/2" in the standard kit.

We ran vp ms109 oxygenated unleaded all last year. For the cooling / hp effect, (not to mention cost), we swapped the car over to e85.

I have been driving to my local krogers, filling up the car at the pump ($2.75 a gallon), and driving home. I tested the local winter blend, and it is hovering right about 75% ethanol. So, e75. Means we are actually running a little rich right now and robbing some power, lol.

We also added the injector dynamics ID 1000's to allow for the increased flow needed for the e85.

Tonight I was hoping to break the 800rwhp mark. Jon lund sent me a dyno lock tune, we loaded it, made a pull to 5500. Everything looked good. (especailly the fact we were up 43 rwhp at that point already).

Made a pull to about 6900 and the car was sitting at 870 rwhp w/ 21 degrees of timing.

I emailed Jon the logs, and he sent me back a new file. We upped the base f/p and pulled the air filter and tube off. Made another pull, and the car made 916 rwhp and 697 ft/lbs. Timing was only 19.5 degrees though.

Jon emailed me another file, made one more pull. Timing was back in the car and it jumped to 960 rwhp, and 716 ft/lbs of torque!

The biggest thing, when you look at the dyno sheet. It looks like we are getting just a tad bit of belt slip at the top, and when we let off the car at 7500, it's still pulling up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still grinning from ear to ear!

I don't think I've seen a higher dyno out of a factory auto car with a single power adder. Matter of fact, I don't think i've seen a higher dyno out of a factory auto car with dual power adders!

The car has no meth injection, no nitrous, nothing other than the Vortech JT trim blower and air to air intercooler.

I drove the car to work today, then to the dyno, then out to eat, then home. The drivability in the car is perfect. You would never guess the car is making nearly 1000 rwhp...

I can't wait to get the 8 rib setup on (yes, this is on the factory 6 rib setup) and get some true e85 in the car."

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
It just never ceases to amaze me how much power these newer engines from GM are allowing us to make. If I was told this was possible ten years ago I would have laughed! Who knows where it will end with the power that can be made with a stock engine, but around 950 hp at the flywheel is just crazy.

Now of course at this level anything can happen at anytime, which the owner is well aware, but going off of our past history of stock LS2's and 3's over 700rwhp, which is over 60 cars now and a few years going, we are not all that worried about it.

This was in a 2010 Camaro with our base NOVI 1500 kit, but an LS3 is an LS3 to me, I really dont care what it came wrapped up in. 14lbs of boost, and the ECS LS3 BLOWER CAM with meth injection of course.

Heres a dyno vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k5E3IDKYkc

Not bad for a base novi kit.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Is that Camaro an automatic? And the base Novi kit makes 14# of boost? Or does their kit come with different pulleys. Like they buy the tuner kit and add their pulley combo and other odds and ends.

The Novi 1500 is no joke.

But ya, The numbers being made with these cars and boost is crazy.

Lol, the stock auto is still killing me, it has to have at least a TC?

Since he drag races the car my guess is it has TC in it.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
No sound at work. So hard to tell with no description.

I wonder how much the "big blower cam" helped the car out.

I doubt it is. I just thought it was funny that you brought it up.

Bigger is not key with forced induction, so it probably hurt it. :rofl: Still impressive numbers.Overlap and duration is where its at, not how much lift the cam has.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info