💬 OT The (not really) official electronics workbench thread

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Did some tinkering and replicated an offering I saw earlier. It seemed to work decent. With the nanovna on the way, I decided to build a test amp. This should let me flex into a lot of configurations for testing things like input imp dance. This will be another xacto PCB, or I may upgrade to a Dremel. Not sure yet.

PXL_20231110_011003704.jpg
Schematic
PXL_20231110_011014236.jpg
LayoutPXL_20231110_011016526.jpg
On board ready to cut.

• Love
Reactions: sktchy

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
That broken shit looks as if it would be loud if working.

View attachment 185159

Where I left off. Needs more parts. Base circuit is done the except the coupling capacitor, the emitter circuit is done, the collector circuit needs an output transformer.
70w/130w bi amplifier. It kinda works, I have 3 of these with the same issue. I bought everything to replace all components and have been working on one of them to isolate the distortion in the circuit. Everything but the resistor network and about 10 resistors have been replaced. Last of the parts coming today.

Everything highlighted in green or yellow has been replaced, still has a distortion that sits on top of signal mostly in 1k range.

IMG_1957.jpeg

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I don’t, I wanted to upgrade all the electronics…so I’m throwing money at it in stages. They are pretty nice monitors, but KRK cheaped out on some stuff. I upgraded all the film caps to mkp Wima’s. They had non-audio rated caps in the entire signal path, then I used all fg-gold for electrolytic caps, etc

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I don’t, I wanted to upgrade all the electronics…so I’m throwing money at it in stages. They are pretty nice monitors, but KRK cheaped out on some stuff. I upgraded all the film caps to mkp Wima’s. They had non-audio rated caps in the entire signal path, then I used all fg-gold for electrolytic caps, etc
Keep an eye on craigslist a hundro will get you one if you are patient. You don't need anything fancy at audio frequency. At worse you could probably use an mp3 player or sound card to drive the amp. An audio frequency oscillator is probably out there in kit form.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I'm pretty sure my love for doing this kinda stuff died when radio shack did. It was a different world when you could just go grab parts at the mall vs waiting for a week for somethin off the internet that's probably no where close to what you wanted
AliExpress is oddly good for this stuff if you are patient.

Reactions: sktchy

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
That's the problem. If it's weeks I'm already over it and it'll sit in a pile of other shit forever til I come back around. It's gotta be there while I'm still fresh or I have other priorities quick lol
Do you have a MicroCenter near you? They do have some off-the-shelf components. Not anything like RadioShack did. Or hell, even Fry’s had a pretty good selection before they went belly up.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Do you have a MicroCenter near you? They do have some off-the-shelf components. Not anything like RadioShack did. Or hell, even Fry’s had a pretty good selection before they went belly up.
I don't have shit but what my local hole in the wall parts store can dig up. Could maybe try a computer place but they could probably give a shit about caps and transistors and stuff. Back when I was playin with this stuff leds were newer tech so much beyond a fairly decent knowledge of the basics I'm a dinosaur anyway.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I don't have shit but what my local hole in the wall parts store can dig up. Could maybe try a computer place but they could probably give a shit about caps and transistors and stuff. Back when I was playin with this stuff leds were newer tech so much beyond a fairly decent knowledge of the basics I'm a dinosaur anyway.
If you’re a dinosaur, I’m the dirt they walked on 😂

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Well, fixed the problem by buying a new pair.

Will have to fix/sell the old ones eventually so as not to be divorced

View attachment 185393
Dayum buy a scope dude. Seriously. If you were in Wisconsin we could hit up my sty of a basement and have a poke.

Meanwhile starting to see some payoff. I upped my capacitor on the l network at the input to 400pf or so compared to 100pf. I am seeing good swr on the Antuino now. Not perfect but wide spectrum so that is good. The stage is giving about 15DBm gain so I can't gripe. Up next is a variable.

PXL_20231113_010157297.jpg
After that I optimize power on the output and then I can start working on the impedances of the transistor.PXL_20231113_010737828.MP.jpg

The PCB assembled. I was short some adapters they're on the way.

PXL_20231113_010219775.jpg

After the input was sorted the harmonics look way better. At about 30db down this will still need filtering but not horridly. I may nibble off some gain with a 6db attenuator. Because reflected power goes 2 directions I should get about -12db on the harmonics.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
My first attempt at transferring PCB material in probably 15+ years. I have probably had the piece of junk mail printed for a test 2ish years now. I am borrowing the house iron, my wife isn't home to know. :rofl:

Fine print:

PXL_20231113_022201429.jpg

And coarse print.
PXL_20231113_022156700.jpg

PXL_20231113_022432121.jpg
Hit it with the iron and peeled it back. Not consistently transferring.

PXL_20231113_022731172.jpg
Second shot. Got this one hotter, still missing a piece. Wonder if there is a flatness issue somewhere.

PXL_20231113_022636115.jpg
Third transfer, still issues. Wanna evaluate surfaces for flatness. I am using a piece of pine under the circuit board want to get a chunk of glass or something similar. Maybe borrow a 9x13 pyrex pan for a few moments.

Thread Info