🏡 Better Homes The "Custom House Build" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
A few homes in our neighborhood have heated driveways. Honestly I like using the snow blower, idk. Maybe if our home had it I would rave about it. They def have the cleanest driveways in the neighborhood lol

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Heating a driveway is big bucks in energy cost.

The new ones today are just water pipes arnt they? It’s not electric. I mean yea I’m sure it would cost of course, but not like it’s an electric grid

A home we looked at in our current neighborhood had heated basement, heated master bath, and heated first floor. It was all run off a separate big hot water heater and valves

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The new ones today are just water pipes arnt they? It’s not electric. I mean yea I’m sure it would cost of course, but not like it’s an electric grid

A home we looked at in our current neighborhood had heated basement, heated master bath, and heated first floor. It was all run off a separate big hot water heater and valves
Think about how big of a slab a driveway is. It would take more energy than your house to heat.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
True yes, but I just figured it’s not used all the time. I mean only when it snows, or maybe some ice. Beyond that it’s off. Turn it on when the snow starts to fall, and turn it off a few hours later

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Aerial view of the surroundings

C3F6EBBE-0DC5-4BC9-BDF2-49E73417FF7E.jpeg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Do you think they will try to squeeze another home to the left of your home?
Looking at that aerial view, it looks like if they had a long enough driveway they could fit another home there.
Yeah they’ll build on that next year. It’s a super long 1.4 acre lot so they should be pretty far from our house. I’ll post a pic of the plot in the next post

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Do you think they will try to squeeze another home to the left of your home?
Looking at that aerial view, it looks like if they had a long enough driveway they could fit another home there.

If that is the case…. Dunno if they could unless it’s set back… you should consider buying that lot. We have an empty 1+ acre next to us that we and our next closest neighbor use to ride dirt bikes and atvs for the kids. We are going to go half in and buy it. And leave it empty. It’s a nice thing to have

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wouldn’t buy it even if I could. That’s a $200k+ lot, and you have to build on any lot you buy within 5 years

Hollllllyyyyyyy fuck. No thank you. Lots out here in the boonies are about 25-35k for over an acre. And you don’t have to build. You just have to maintain it. If you don’t want to cut it you can pay the HOA 300 dollars a year to cut it 5 times.

Damn 200k for a lot? I thought I had money. You be rolling in the dough.

In all seriousness. It fluctuates so much. We bought our home from the original owners. They bought the lot for 100k and built a 550k house on it. Lots now only go for 20-40k depending on the section. Weird how the houses haven’t dropped on price but the land has.

Reactions: Jon01

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Hollllllyyyyyyy fuck. No thank you. Lots out here in the boonies are about 25-35k for over an acre. And you don’t have to build. You just have to maintain it. If you don’t want to cut it you can pay the HOA 300 dollars a year to cut it 5 times.

Damn 200k for a lot? I thought I had money. You be rolling in the dough.

In all seriousness. It fluctuates so much. We bought our home from the original owners. They bought the lot for 100k and built a 550k house on it. Lots now only go for 20-40k depending on the section. Weird how the houses haven’t dropped on price but the land has.
In NWI you have to go wayyyyy way way out in to the boonies to get land that cheap. It’s Indiana so basically if you want to actually work anywhere decent without driving 3+ hours a day, and you want your kids to go to a decent school, you’re paying big money for a lot lol

a friend of mine is selling a 3 acre lot in a gorgeous subdivision in valpo for over $300k right now

• Wow
Reactions: GTPpower

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Paver yes, heated no. I don’t even want the pavers but my wife would not budge on that lol

Do not go with a paver driveway. I have paver edges on mine and a large paver patio in my backyard. It’s a pain in the ass due the cycle of freezing and thawing in the winter, tree roots, etc. You will be spending a good amount on maintenance a few years down the road, plus power washing and polymeric sand.

If I had to do it again, I’d do a stamped concrete.

Reactions: Jon01 and crooks

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The HOA here is cheap/unintrusive but the building requirements are strict, understandably so. No bi levels, no external buildings (pole barns, etc), all builds are subject to HOA board approval. They don't want anyone putting up an ugly house, which I'm glad about.

Not noticing any fences around any yards when you’re taking some of these shots, are you allowed to fence in your property with a privacy fence or anything?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Not noticing any fences around any yards when you’re taking some of these shots, are you allowed to fence in your property with a privacy fence or anything?
IIRC fences are allowed but have to be wrought iron. Never really cared because I don’t want one

Reactions: FESTER665
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info