The all new 2018 Ford Expedition

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The issue still is though, the gap is soo big. Yes, they're selling more, but so is Cadillac. I believe Escalade sales were up 10% last month. It's hard to look at percentage increases because any sales increase Lincoln is getting, looks great because they sold so few the prior year same period. Whereas Cadillac has been selling them consistently all along.

With that said, the gap is still nothing fomoco is going to make up in the next year (and half) until the T2Y's come out. Just spending hours driving for the second job, in the more affluent Geneva/St. Charles corridor, I can count, on one hand, the number of previous EBV6 powered Navigators and the new one. Whereas, There are 100 K2Y Escalades. The numbers get even greater when you factor in the lower tier Chevy and GMC counterparts. It isn't even a contest.

To put things in perspective, last year, GM sold nearly as many Escalades (both wheelbases), as ford sold Expo's and Navigators combined! I want to say ford sold some ~40k combined. Cadillac sold just under 38k alone. GM as a whole, sold 277,413 K2Y's last year.

You’re trying to sugar coat it. Companies don’t put incentives out on hot sellers. Cadillac obviously is concerned with their market share to throw a large incentive out there. The Navigator and Expedition are better products and we will see how much market share that they steal until GM’s new offering comes out.

I was on vacation last week in Florida (Naples) and actually saw a lot of new Navi’s and Expeditions.

Lastly, you can’t really look at historical data because Ford/Lincoln abandoned the segment. GM had multiple redesigned while Ford let their product languish.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
source.gif

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You’re trying to sugar coat it. Companies don’t put incentives out on hot sellers. Cadillac obviously is concerned with their market share to throw a large incentive out there. The Navigator and Expedition are better products and we will see how much market share that they steal until GM’s new offering comes out.

I was on vacation last week in Florida (Naples) and actually saw a lot of new Navi’s and Expeditions.

Lastly, you can’t really look at historical data because Ford/Lincoln abandoned the segment. GM had multiple redesigned while Ford let their product languish.

1) They don't put incentives on hot sellers when they OWN the market. When a competitor comes in, things change.

2) I said that later if you'd read the rest of my comments. You can't compare the stats. Last year, ford sold 3 Navigators (I'm being sarcastic). This year they've sold 6. Yea, that's a 100% improvement.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
1) They don't put incentives on hot sellers when they OWN the market. When a competitor comes in, things change.

2) I said that later if you'd read the rest of my comments. You can't compare the stats. Last year, ford sold 3 Navigators (I'm being sarcastic). This year they've sold 6. Yea, that's a 100% improvement.

When a competitor comes in and is stealing sales.

Lincoln can't build the new Navi's quick enough.

Here's an interesting stat:

"In March 2017, only 8% of Escalade shoppers also looked at Navigator. Last month, 22% of Escalade customers also looked at Navigator, Edmunds data shows.

Meanwhile, the Navigator shopper statistics remained constant.

In March 2017, 14% of Navigator shoppers also looked at Escalade. Last month, 15% of Navigator customers also looked at Escalade."

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
oh ok, i forgot how much expertise you had in ford's manufacturing practices and capacities behind the scenes.

my bad. carry on guys. it's easy and is happening quickly.

You'll laugh but my dad owned a business and sold manufacturing (stampling)/assembly line automation equipment to the Big 3 (and Nissan and BMW). I've been in a lot of domestic assembly plants over the years.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
you're right, i did laugh.

Ford was one of his best customers. Probably the guys he knew at the plant down in KY are retired now, but he used to get all of the new model details ahead of time as he was working with the engineers at the plants. Kind of cool and probably why I am a Ford nut swinger.

The domestic plants were dirty. The BMW plant in Spartanburg was spotless. He sold some equipment there for the X5 back in the day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info