The all new 2018 Ford Expedition

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The like 5ft tall thin line taillights were the nail in the coffin for me. Can't stand them

I'm a Volvo guy too, so the tall tail lights don't bother me too much.

I think it's hard to do something distinctive without being too offensive on the rear of those squared SUV's. It seems to be either done before, boring, or too wacky.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
can we all agree on a number that ford is going to steal form GM percentage-wise with this revolutionary chariot?

then make bets and revisit this in a year.

Simple cut all GM sales in 2/3 lol

GM makes

Escalade
Escalade EXT
Yukon
Yukon XL
Tahoe
Suburban

Ford makes

Navigator
Navigator L
Expedition
Expedition L

GM makes 6 models Ford makes 4

:iorofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So, not sure about you guys, but I see these often on the road in the St. Charles/Geneva area. Saw one this morning as a matter of fact. Still not going to dethrone the quantity of the GM dynasty, but, I see a couple over the course of the week (By way of comparison there are 100's of K2Y's in the same time period)

In pictures they look good. But out in the wild... They just look "awkward" from the front or rear vantage points. They look "fat". Like a potato on toothpicks. I hate to say this... I think the last gen, despite some 20 years of age, looked better!

I don't think the stretched explorer grill on the front does it any favors. Nor does the big chrome strip on the rear of the Expo, or the full width taillight on the Navi, in terms of helping it trim it's wide beltline look.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
lolnawww

4dfeb3842cd681e202e1b85ae0731e28.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I saw this the other day and forgot to post:

The big Expedition SUV is all-new for 2018 and demand has been very strong, with retail sales up 46% from a year ago. (Supplies are still limited as Ford ramps up production. The company is prioritizing retail deliveries over fleet sales. Overall sales rose 3.3%.)

The Expedition is "turning" very quickly, spending just 17 days on dealer lots, on average. Its average transaction price was up $11,500 from a year ago.

Retail sales of the Expedition's upscale sibling, the Lincoln Navigator, were up 101% from a year ago. It's spending just 10 days on dealer lots. Overall Navigator sales were up 90.7% from the year-ago period, and the model's average transaction price rose a stout $25,600.

Expedition and Navigator sales were probably limited to some extent by supply. Ford is working to increase production; sales could rise further as the year goes on.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The low points:

Sales of Ford's car models continued to decline, with Ford-brand cars down 7% as a group and Lincoln's sedans down 23.9%. Bucking the trend: Sales of the compact Focus rose 11.8%.
Lincoln's crossover SUVs are struggling. MKC sales fell 5.9% and MKX was down 3.1%. Updated versions of both are due later this year. Sales of Lincoln's third crossover, the airport-shuttle MKT, rose 14% to 252 units. (The MKT will be replaced by the all-new Aviator next year.)

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Right before Cadillac axed their CEO, they started offering $10K off Escalades, to try and protect their market share against the Navigator. The Navigator, meanwhile, is selling faster than estimates and Ford has had to increase the volume out of its plants to meet demand. The current Navi supply at dealers is something ridiculously low like 10 days or something.

Meanwhile I've read articles from two separate cars sites crowning the Expo the king of the segment (most recent is Autoblog).

At the end of the year, we'll have to see where sales numbers end up.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The issue still is though, the gap is soo big. Yes, they're selling more, but so is Cadillac. I believe Escalade sales were up 10% last month. It's hard to look at percentage increases because any sales increase Lincoln is getting, looks great because they sold so few the prior year same period. Whereas Cadillac has been selling them consistently all along.

With that said, the gap is still nothing fomoco is going to make up in the next year (and half) until the T2Y's come out. Just spending hours driving for the second job, in the more affluent Geneva/St. Charles corridor, I can count, on one hand, the number of previous EBV6 powered Navigators and the new one. Whereas, There are 100 K2Y Escalades. The numbers get even greater when you factor in the lower tier Chevy and GMC counterparts. It isn't even a contest.

To put things in perspective, last year, GM sold nearly as many Escalades (both wheelbases), as ford sold Expo's and Navigators combined! I want to say ford sold some ~40k combined. Cadillac sold just under 38k alone. GM as a whole, sold 277,413 K2Y's last year.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Remember though, the last gen Expo/Navi was basically a 15 year old vehicle. Ford had left it to rot, expecting the full frame SUV's to die off. Their sales have obviously stayed strong (not Ford's but the entire segment), and why Ford decided it was time for a new generation.

I think you're right, as there is a pretty wide gap between sales. GM is losing market share though, and that's what prompted the Escalade incentives.

At one time, Ford was selling 250K Expo's a year, so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility that happens again. Probably not this year...but who knows after.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Remember though, the last gen Expo/Navi was basically a 15 year old vehicle. Ford had left it to rot, expecting the full frame SUV's to die off. Their sales have obviously stayed strong (not Ford's but the entire segment), and why Ford decided it was time for a new generation.

I think you're right, as there is a pretty wide gap between sales. GM is losing market share though, and that's what prompted the Escalade incentives.

At one time, Ford was selling 250K Expo's a year, so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility that happens again. Probably not this year...but who knows after.

quite honestly the new escalade is basically a 15 year old vehicle at it's heart too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info