⚡ EV Tesla becomes more valuable than GM and Ford combined

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Tesla this week became more valuable than the two largest American automakers combined — leaving some Wall Street analysts skeptical.

The electric car company’s shares climbed nearly 5 percent to close at a record high of $492.14 Wednesday, giving it a market capitalization of more than $88.7 billion.

That’s more than the combined market cap of General Motors and Ford, which were worth about $49.5 billion and $36.6 billion, respectively, as of Thursday morning.

Some analysts expressed reservations about Elon Musk’s auto company, which churns out a tiny number of cars compared to its more established rivals.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Not going to happen the Govt will let them be bailed out by Space X if it ever got to that part.

More profitable than GM and Ford Combined my ass. If so they why is Elon pumping in his own funds to keep them afloat not too long ago?

Magically they got a flood of money? And do they make a profit today?

I dont doubt that they will stay afloat and their stocks will likely stay pretty decent but let me know when they turn a profit.

Currently the Govt is paying big money to Space X and That same govt. funded money or loan or however you want to put it is funding Tesla.

I dont buy the worth more than GM and Ford combined. So is Bitcoin I bet but lets see whos still around 10 15 20+ years from now.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Not going to happen the Govt will let them be bailed out by Space X if it ever got to that part.

More profitable than GM and Ford Combined my ass. If so they why is Elon pumping in his own funds to keep them afloat not too long ago?

Magically they got a flood of money? And do they make a profit today?

I dont doubt that they will stay afloat and their stocks will likely stay pretty decent but let me know when they turn a profit.

Currently the Govt is paying big money to Space X and That same govt. funded money or loan or however you want to put it is funding Tesla.

I dont buy the worth more than GM and Ford combined. So is Bitcoin I bet but lets see whos still around 10 15 20+ years from now.

1: why couldn’t they get bought out by spacex? It’s a private company that can invest in whatever it wants.
2: they have a higher market capitalization than GM and Ford combined, so the brand is “worth more”, not higher profit.
3: magic flood of money? It’s called investors. That’s how the stock market works, you buy stock in a company and give them your money. They use that money and hopefully your small fraction of ownership is worth more than what you initially paid for.
4: they have been turning a profit.... they had like $2 EPS last quarter. But also remember that they are investing their revenue into a few new gigafactories and a complete worldwide charging network. There was another company who famously invested all of their revenue and it paid off big time. Amazon.
5: Spacex is a separate company from Tesla so I’m not sure why you keep bringing it up but you realize that they are 1 of only 2 American companies that puts stuff in space for the government? Of course the government gives them money, they put satellites into orbit for them. You wanna talk about government wasting money on space stuff? Look into SLS or Boeing.
6: I don’t know what’s not to understand here, market cap is how companies are valued.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
1: why couldn’t they get bought out by spacex? It’s a private company that can invest in whatever it wants.
2: they have a higher market capitalization than GM and Ford combined, so the brand is “worth more”, not higher profit.
3: magic flood of money? It’s called investors. That’s how the stock market works, you buy stock in a company and give them your money. They use that money and hopefully your small fraction of ownership is worth more than what you initially paid for.
4: they have been turning a profit.... they had like $2 EPS last quarter. But also remember that they are investing their revenue into a few new gigafactories and a complete worldwide charging network. There was another company who famously invested all of their revenue and it paid off big time. Amazon.
5: Spacex is a separate company from Tesla so I’m not sure why you keep bringing it up but you realize that they are 1 of only 2 American companies that puts stuff in space for the government? Of course the government gives them money, they put satellites into orbit for them. You wanna talk about government wasting money on space stuff? Look into SLS or Boeing.
6: I don’t know what’s not to understand here, market cap is how companies are valued.

Yes I agree to all of that Im not saying they cant get bought out by Space X Im saying Space X IS helping propup Tesla. You are absolutely insane if you dont think a big chunk of the very same investors are investing in BOTH Space X and Tesla.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Well since spacex is a private company they don’t need to disclose their investors so that means nobody knows including you. And even if it were the case, so what? Is somebody not allowed to invest in both spacex and Tesla?

Good god man all Im saying is Musk owns both and can use Space X funds to prop up Tesla.

Space X has monster Govt Contracts. Seems pretty ignorant to think Space X hasnt helped keep Tesla afloat via the Govt Subsidies and contract money.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Good god man all Im saying is Musk owns both and can use Space X funds to prop up Tesla.

Space X has monster Govt Contracts. Seems pretty ignorant to think Space X hasnt helped keep Tesla afloat via the Govt Subsidies and contract money.
Only if the spacex board agrees to it....and with a market cap like tesla has, and his personal net worth, he really doesn't need to fuck around with spacex funds.

Not sure the point of this argument

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info