⚡ EV Tesla becomes more valuable than GM and Ford combined

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Stick around more and change that.

No fun engaging in debate with people who's minds are made up. And I'm not saying that because I'm butthurt. Truly I don't care. I'm a person that likes to debate though and some of the arguments tossed around here are so primitive and/ or purposely slanted that you can see the bias right away and that just sucks the fun out of it. Other times people just completely ignore anything that disagrees with their own narrative. So something is said, something is debunked and then it's not like that person comes back and says "gee, I never thought of it that way!". But you know they read the response. And then a week later that same person will post some clickbait article about some made up problem that would have taken them approximately 18 seconds to research themselves.

It's not a TCG thing. It's the state of modern discourse in general. People completely lost the ability to debate. People lost the ability to see nuance. Everything is black and white. For or against. Whether it's Tesla, electric cars, politics, choice of baseball team, the way you wipe your ass...

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
A bit of Tesla news I just came across.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
No fun engaging in debate with people who's minds are made up. And I'm not saying that because I'm butthurt. Truly I don't care. I'm a person that likes to debate though and some of the arguments tossed around here are so primitive and/ or purposely slanted that you can see the bias right away and that just sucks the fun out of it. Other times people just completely ignore anything that disagrees with their own narrative. So something is said, something is debunked and then it's not like that person comes back and says "gee, I never thought of it that way!". But you know they read the response. And then a week later that same person will post some clickbait article about some made up problem that would have taken them approximately 18 seconds to research themselves.

It's not a TCG thing. It's the state of modern discourse in general. People completely lost the ability to debate. People lost the ability to see nuance. Everything is black and white. For or against. Whether it's Tesla, electric cars, politics, choice of baseball team, the way you wipe your ass...
giphy.gif

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Tesla statement on unintended acceleration

There is no “unintended acceleration” in Tesla vehicles
The Tesla TeamJanuary 20, 2020
This petition is completely false and was brought by a Tesla short-seller. We investigate every single incident where the driver alleges to us that their vehicle accelerated contrary to their input, and in every case where we had the vehicle's data, we confirmed that the car operated as designed. In other words, the car accelerates if, and only if, the driver told it to do so, and it slows or stops when the driver applies the brake.
While accidents caused by a mistaken press of the accelerator pedal have been alleged for nearly every make/model of vehicle on the road, the accelerator pedals in Model S, X and 3 vehicles have two independent position sensors, and if there is any error, the system defaults to cut off motor torque. Likewise, applying the brake pedal simultaneously with the accelerator pedal will override the accelerator pedal input and cut off motor torque, and regardless of the torque, sustained braking will stop the car. Unique to Tesla, we also use the Autopilot sensor suite to help distinguish potential pedal misapplications and cut torque to mitigate or prevent accidents when we’re confident the driver’s input was unintentional. Each system is independent and records data, so we can examine exactly what happened.
We are transparent with NHTSA, and routinely review customer complaints of unintended acceleration with them. Over the past several years, we discussed with NHTSA the majority of the complaints alleged in the petition. In every case we reviewed with them, the data proved the vehicle functioned properly.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
It’s their market capitalization. I’m sure if GM or Ford included that as well as liquidating all their assets it would be higher

in theory both are calculating total value of all assets, just using very different ways to get there

where's sickmint79 sickmint79 at to pimp slap us all into oblivion with facts figures and sweet charts and a lil sasss

tesla is not valued like a car company, it's valued like a tech company

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

Market capitalization is all you want to look at. What you're posting is an evaluation... In other words: someone's opinion. Market cap is completely objective and is just amount of outstanding shares times the current share price.

Tesla's share price is overblown in my opinion. It's moved too high too fast and while they do have a veritable chokehold on several markets, it's not as if it is impossible for anyone else to compete. For now though, Tesla is the company to beat and it should be telling that in a market that heavily favors SUVs, they're pumping out mid-sized sedans as fast as they can make them.

Reactions: Grabber

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Curious - I found a charge that showed the timeline of Tesla's worth.

From May to December at their peak of 90ish billion, they increase nearly 40B in a matter of months. How does that work, considering their sales of every vehicle doesn't relfect that? Is it truly only the market/stock?

For public companies market cap is largely determined by what the market thinks the company is or will be worth. So if I come out with amazing tech and I'm losing billions of dollars every year but 15 years from now my technology is going to be ubiquitous, the market might value me at what it thinks I'll be worth. A lot of it is speculation.

I think you might be confusing that for book value which is a hard line number based on assets, sales, accounts receivable, accounts payable, etc and then you might stick a multiple on that to arrive at a harder value. A lot of publicly traded companies trade at well below or above their actual value though.

Reactions: Grabber

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
More good news for Tesla from the new trade deal with China.

China’s imports of US vehicles will increase from the roughly $10 billion exported in the baseline year to $20 billion in 2020 and more in 2021.

While Tesla had slightly over 1% US market share in 2018, it accounted for roughly 10% of US vehicle exports to China measured in units, and an even higher percentage when measured in dollars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info